Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Possible to do a in-frame brake band service?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#31 Georgia SS OFFLINE  

Georgia SS
  • Member No: 70125
  • 29 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted November 27, 2015 - 07:03 PM

HEY GUYS

I HAVE BEEN WATCHING YOUR HELPFUL SUGGESTIONS ALSO SEE NONE OF YOU HAVE EVER REMOVED ONE OF THESE TRANSMISSIONS, THE SUBURBAN TRANS. IS A LOT LESS WORK THAN A CRAFTSMAN, TRANS. LOOKS THE SAME ALMOST. NOW THE LINK CONNECTING THE HI/LO SHIFT ROD IS A SIMPLE CHAIN MASTER LINK WITH A CLIP ON THE SIDE, CLIP GETS DIRTY AND RUSTY MAKING IT HARD TO SEE AND REMOVE.

HAVE A GOOD ONE

JIMMY

IN SOUTH GEORGIA

• Phluphy said thank you

#32 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • Member No: 70148
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted November 27, 2015 - 11:17 PM

HEY GUYS

I HAVE BEEN WATCHING YOUR HELPFUL SUGGESTIONS ALSO SEE NONE OF YOU HAVE EVER REMOVED ONE OF THESE TRANSMISSIONS, THE SUBURBAN TRANS. IS A LOT LESS WORK THAN A CRAFTSMAN, TRANS. LOOKS THE SAME ALMOST. NOW THE LINK CONNECTING THE HI/LO SHIFT ROD IS A SIMPLE CHAIN MASTER LINK WITH A CLIP ON THE SIDE, CLIP GETS DIRTY AND RUSTY MAKING IT HARD TO SEE AND REMOVE.

HAVE A GOOD ONE

JIMMY

IN SOUTH GEORGIA

Entertained the idea of it being a chain master link. Looks like one. Will clean and brush it tomorrow and dig out the ol' loupe for a closer look. If it is, I'll make sure to locate a new one and replace it, just to be sure of its condition.

#33 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 08:35 AM

HEY GUYS

HAVE A GOOD ONE

JIMMY

IN SOUTH GEORGIA

Any idea of the size of this 'simple chain master link'? Sales people in stores around here look at me like one of my 3 heads fell off.

Edited by Phluphy, November 29, 2015 - 08:37 AM.

#34 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,344 Thanks
  • 39,622 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 09:12 AM

Any idea of the size of this 'simple chain master link'? Sales people in stores around here look at me like one of my 3 heads fell off.

Try this!

Motorcycle Chain Size Chart

Chain Size Pitch Inner Width - roller 415 1/2 3/16, 420 1/2 1/4, 428 1/2 5/16, 520 5/8 1/4, 525 5/8 5/16, 530 5/8 3/8, 630 3/4 3/8 ,      219 .306 .183, #40 1/2 5/16, #35 3/8 3/16, #25 1/4 1/8, 8mm 8mm   10mm 10mm              

Chain 'pitch' is the distance from pin to pin, and width is "inner width", the roller width, that's what matters to fit into the appropriate sprocket. The total chain width is a variable depending on the thickness of the sideplates and if the chain has O-rings or X-rings. An x-ring 530 chain is close to an inch wide although the spec is 3 eigths of an inch for inner width.

Most commonly, and there are always exceptions, kids dirt bikes are generally a 420 or 428 chain, your 65's and 85's. Larger dirt bikes, dual sports and ATV's are generally a 520 chain. Street bikes more commonly are a 530, smaller displacements may use 525.

Looks like the chart went away. If you can't figure it out. HOLLER!

• Phluphy said thank you

#35 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 09:49 AM

Try this!

Motorcycle Chain Size Chart

Chain Size Pitch Inner Width - roller 415 1/2 3/16, 420 1/2 1/4, 428 1/2 5/16, 520 5/8 1/4, 525 5/8 5/16, 530 5/8 3/8, 630 3/4 3/8 ,      219 .306 .183, #40 1/2 5/16, #35 3/8 3/16, #25 1/4 1/8, 8mm 8mm   10mm 10mm              

Chain 'pitch' is the distance from pin to pin, and width is "inner width", the roller width, that's what matters to fit into the appropriate sprocket. The total chain width is a variable depending on the thickness of the sideplates and if the chain has O-rings or X-rings. An x-ring 530 chain is close to an inch wide although the spec is 3 eigths of an inch for inner width.

Most commonly, and there are always exceptions, kids dirt bikes are generally a 420 or 428 chain, your 65's and 85's. Larger dirt bikes, dual sports and ATV's are generally a 520 chain. Street bikes more commonly are a 530, smaller displacements may use 525.

Looks like the chart went away. If you can't figure it out. HOLLER!

Heck I've been trying to explain to sales people in every way I know how and none seem to grasp what is being referred to. "We don't sell garden tractor transmission parts", is the common response after several explanations.  Even went so far as to print out a copy of the pics...nada. Thanks for your patience.

#36 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,344 Thanks
  • 39,622 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 09:53 AM

I can understand what you are facing. Hope the chart will give you a size, a two wheel/ATV shop might have the size you need. Might take the old one with you, though.

• Phluphy said thank you

#37 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 01:18 PM

I can understand what you are facing. Hope the chart will give you a size, a two wheel/ATV shop might have the size you need. Might take the old one with you, though.

Thanks will try that route.

Since I haven't seen the setup anywhere else, is this an OEM application or possibly someone's self contrivance?

#38 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,344 Thanks
  • 39,622 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 01:25 PM

I haven't a clue! I don't remember seeing that on the one I changed out.

• Phluphy said thank you

#39 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted December 05, 2015 - 06:34 PM

Finally slapped the JB weld on brake band today. Guessing the easy parts over for now.  

Will know tomorrow afternoon if this brainfart is going to fly

• KennyP said thank you

#40 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted December 06, 2015 - 07:58 PM

And no.  After over 2 hours, still no closer to getting the three bolts back in.  Had one of the 2 on bottom in place and cinched down, then realized the end of the band was caught on the shoulder of bolt which goes up, and not tightened.  End result being, end of band was bent, have to remove band, straighten the end out and start over again. Maybe I'll put the top one in first, followed by lower 2.  Would be a heck of a lot easier if I took that hi/lo link off and dropped the trans axle not wanting to do that though until locating a link.

Everything else is good, band went over the drum without a hitch. Will have brakes for sure. 

Eh, nothing but time on my hands anyway.  

Edited by Phluphy, December 06, 2015 - 10:19 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#41 Georgia SS OFFLINE  

Georgia SS
  • 29 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted December 06, 2015 - 10:18 PM

HEY GUYS

THE HI/LO CONNECTOR LINK IS NOT MOTORCYCLE TYPE CHAIN, LOOKS MORE LIKE EQUIPMENT CHAIN MASTER LINK, MABY AN 1 1/4 INCH LONG AND SKINNY. DON'T SEE ANY REASON TO REPLACE, JUST CLEAN UNCLIP, REMOVE AND REPLACE WHEN READY, CLIP IS ON SIDE LIKE ANY MASTER LINK, MAY BE A BIT HARD TO SEE BUT JUST SCRATCH AROUND AND YOU CAN FIND AND UNCLIP. IF ALL ELSE FAILS FOR ANYONE NEEDING ONE I HAVE AN EXTRA ONE.

JIMMY

IN SOUTH GEORGIA

• Phluphy said thank you

#42 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 01:24 AM

HEY GUYS

THE HI/LO CONNECTOR LINK IS NOT MOTORCYCLE TYPE CHAIN, LOOKS MORE LIKE EQUIPMENT CHAIN MASTER LINK, MABY AN 1 1/4 INCH LONG AND SKINNY. DON'T SEE ANY REASON TO REPLACE, JUST CLEAN UNCLIP, REMOVE AND REPLACE WHEN READY, CLIP IS ON SIDE LIKE ANY MASTER LINK, MAY BE A BIT HARD TO SEE BUT JUST SCRATCH AROUND AND YOU CAN FIND AND UNCLIP. IF ALL ELSE FAILS FOR ANYONE NEEDING ONE I HAVE AN EXTRA ONE.

JIMMY

IN SOUTH GEORGIA

Do you have a way to post a photo of this link? I'll go out tomorrow, wire brush it, clean it as best I can. Already cleaned it off once but it appears to me that it's been riveted, peened over. Any way to tell which side should be the clip side? Appreciate the offer...may need the one you have, if this one doesn't come off. Will post a cleaned photo.

Thanks

#43 Georgia SS OFFLINE  

Georgia SS
  • 29 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 09:15 AM

HI

BY VIEWING YOUR PHOTOS YOUR CONNECTOR LINK IS ORIGINAL, YES THE LINK PINS ARE BRADDED ON THE SIDE YOU ARE SEEING, THE CLIP IS HIDDEN ON THE OTHER SIDE. TAKE A PICK OR VERY SMALL SCREW DRIVER AND FEEL FOR THE CLIP AND UNLATCH CAREFULLY. DID YOU NEVER WORK ON YOUR BICYCLE CHAIN WHEN YOU WERE YOUNGER, SAME KIND OF CLIP, YES I KNOW MY CAPPS ARE ON, CAN READ BETTER THAT WAY, WILL BE 76 THIS WEEK, TOP BOLT FIRST AND THE OTHER TWO WITH NUTS DOWN, WITH AN EXTENSION MAGNET NOT SUCH A BAD JOB, (HINT) DRAIN GAS RMOVE BATTERY, REMOVE DECK, GET A STRONG FRIEND AND TURN TRACTOR UP ON RIGHT SIDE, SHOULD SET ON RT. REAR TIRE JUST FINE WITH NO DAMAGE, MAKES WORKING EASIER UNDER THE BOTTOM.

BE CAREFUL

JIMMY

• KennyP and Phluphy have said thanks

#44 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 10:12 AM

HI

BY VIEWING YOUR PHOTOS YOUR CONNECTOR LINK IS ORIGINAL, YES THE LINK PINS ARE BRADDED ON THE SIDE YOU ARE SEEING, THE CLIP IS HIDDEN ON THE OTHER SIDE. TAKE A PICK OR VERY SMALL SCREW DRIVER AND FEEL FOR THE CLIP AND UNLATCH CAREFULLY. DID YOU NEVER WORK ON YOUR BICYCLE CHAIN WHEN YOU WERE YOUNGER, SAME KIND OF CLIP, YES I KNOW MY CAPPS ARE ON, CAN READ BETTER THAT WAY, WILL BE 76 THIS WEEK, TOP BOLT FIRST AND THE OTHER TWO WITH NUTS DOWN, WITH AN EXTENSION MAGNET NOT SUCH A BAD JOB, (HINT) DRAIN GAS RMOVE BATTERY, REMOVE DECK, GET A STRONG FRIEND AND TURN TRACTOR UP ON RIGHT SIDE, SHOULD SET ON RT. REAR TIRE JUST FINE WITH NO DAMAGE, MAKES WORKING EASIER UNDER THE BOTTOM.

BE CAREFUL

JIMMY

HELLO

WAITING FOR COFFEE TO KICK IN AND READ THIS. DO NOT HAVE ANY ASSISTANCE AVAILABLE BUT CAN USE THE LOG MOVER TO LIFT THIS THING UP AND TIP. USED EXTENSION MAGNET FOR YESTERDAY'S FIRST ATTEMPT AND IT WORKED OKAY. 

69 ON THIS END AND VISION'S NOT AS GOOD AS ONCE WAS BUT THINK YOUR ADVICE WILL MAKE THINGS EASIER. FIGURES THE CLIP WOULD BE ON THE BACK SIDE. WILL GIVE 'ER ANOTHER SHOT.

THANKS

PAUL

#45 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted December 07, 2015 - 06:29 PM

And the answer is...yes it can be done. A heck of a lot easier by getting the rear of tractor up in the air. Did and done!  Thanks to all.

Another month or 2, take it all apart and repaint it. Acquaintance sez he can replicate the original decals and dash labels.

Better half claims I should just move it into our BR, Eh, wimin just do not understand! :D  

• KennyP said thank you