Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Possible to do a in-frame brake band service?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • Member No: 70148
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted November 24, 2015 - 02:40 PM

New brake band material arriving tomorrow and figured to be ready for it, however, the brake mechanism is not coming free as I had pictured.  Linkage is free from pedal and removed the one visible mounting bolt on trans axle housing but nothing is loose.  Have looked in my book at diagram but seeing nothing.

Will I have to remove trans axle from machine?

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,508 Thanks
  • 39,733 posts

Posted November 24, 2015 - 02:47 PM

Which tractor is it?

• boyscout862 and Phluphy have said thanks

#3 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted November 24, 2015 - 02:55 PM

I have been told it's possible, but I have no idea how. I pulled my axle out and did it that way.

The cautionary part of trying to do it in the tractor is you have to stretch the brake band around the drum getting it back in. This will most likely crack the lining or pop it off of the band.

Check out he link in my sig for removal from a Suburban or take a look at how the band is attached, may give you an idea on how to proceed.

• WNYTractorTinkerer and Phluphy have said thanks

#4 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,415 Thanks
  • 2,118 posts

Posted November 24, 2015 - 02:55 PM

If it is the tractor in your pic then no need to remove the axle. There is two 7/16 nuts to remove one on top hooked to the rod and follow the band around to the bottom and there is one there. Once both are removed there should be enough room between the axle and frame to remove.

Edited by bhts, November 24, 2015 - 02:55 PM.

• Phluphy said thank you

#5 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted November 24, 2015 - 02:56 PM

Which tractor is it?

The 917.255919 Craftsman II.

#6 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted November 24, 2015 - 03:02 PM

There is a Large straight head screw that's kinda hidden by the band.Here I have 1 of those transaxles out sitting on my cart.

100_1553.JPG   100_1554.JPG   100_1555.JPG

I would pull the transaxle but it's not a 1 man job unless you have a chain hoist or something.I did mine myself on my Sears SS14 and I don't EVER want to do it again.I used 2 floor jacks and a hunk of 2x4.

Might be alot easier if I had jack stands for the axles and a jack to hold the front of the tranny up where it needs to be and then hoist the tractor down on it.

To remove the transaxle you have to remove the rear deck hanger assembly,pull the cotter pin out on the Hi/Lo rod,disconnect the brake rod,take 2 large bolts out of the Top of the tranny then pull the 4 bolts out near the axles.

The top 2 bolts on yours is gona be a pain in the butt if you can't remove the rear hitch plate.Getting a wrench up in there is a real knuckle buster.

• olcowhand and Phluphy have said thanks

#7 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted November 24, 2015 - 03:02 PM

If it is the tractor in your pic then no need to remove the axle. There is two 7/16 nuts to remove one on top hooked to the rod and follow the band around to the bottom and there is one there. Once both are removed there should be enough room between the axle and frame to remove.

No, the one pictured is the Limited Edition.  One being worked on is the Craftsman II. Only small nuts seen appear side by side, well actually one in front of the other, on end of actuating rod.

Edited by Phluphy, November 25, 2015 - 04:32 PM.

#8 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted November 24, 2015 - 03:06 PM

There is a Large straight head screw that's kinda hidden by the band.Here I have 1 of those transaxles out sitting on my cart.

attachicon.gif100_1553.JPG  attachicon.gif100_1554.JPG  attachicon.gif100_1555.JPG

I would pull the transaxle but it's not a 1 man job unless you have a chain hoist or something.I did mine myself on my Sears SS14 and I don't EVER want to do it again.I used 2 floor jacks and a hunk of 2x4.

Might be alot easier if I had jack stands for the axles and a jack to hold the front of the tranny up where it needs to be and then hoist the tractor down on it.

To remove the transaxle you have to remove the rear deck hanger assembly,pull the cotter pin out on the Hi/Lo rod,disconnect the brake rod,take 2 large bolts out of the Top of the tranny then pull the 4 bolts out near the axles.

The top 2 bolts on yours is gona be a pain in the butt if you can't remove the rear hitch plate.Getting a wrench up in there is a real knuckle buster.

Ah, and there the thing is!  Yepper hidden behind the band.  Might be wrong but it seems like the band should slip off the drum, between the frame and trans axle. Right or wrong with that assumption?

#9 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted November 24, 2015 - 03:11 PM

attachicon.gif100_1553.JPG  attachicon.gif100_1554.JPG  attachicon.gif100_1555.JPG

And yet another conundrum...Rather than unhitching the log mover I left it attached and used the hitch to jack up the rear of tractor, which worked.  Sure put a damper on things if I have to remove the hitch plate though.  Hoping I can just slide the band off the drum.  

Thanks

#10 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted November 24, 2015 - 03:19 PM

They don't make it easy that's for sure.Wish it had a removable service panel or something.

Hey at-least they made holes on the other side for access to the Belt guard bolts.Imagine if they would not have you would need to pull the tranny to change the darn drive belt. :rolling:  

• Phluphy said thank you

#11 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted November 24, 2015 - 05:47 PM

UNCLE! After puttering with it for over 2 hours...I see no way to get this project moving forward w/o removing the trans axle and that will be pendent on getting a decent floor jack.

As I see it, there are 2 bolts on either side where the axle housing comes out and a bolt on either side on the ends of the top bracket.  Unless there is/are other hidden bolts and the hi/low linkage is unbolted from the frame, the thing should come down with the aid of the floor jack.

Apparently the hi/low linkage consists of 2 plates riveted on either side of the operating rods. I'm hoping by removing the bracket bolts, the linkage will have enough play in it to allow the axle to drop down enough to do the brake band repair without further problems.

This make sense?

Reconsidering: I'm thinking if the nut were removed from the end of the actuating rod, the rod can be pulled forward and out and with the other 2 bolts removed, the thing should come off the drum.  Eh, it's late brain is fried, tomorrow's a new day.

Thanks for your patience guys.

Edited by Phluphy, November 24, 2015 - 05:57 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,508 Thanks
  • 39,733 posts

Posted November 24, 2015 - 05:54 PM

I haven't pulled one of these from those years, only later model tractors. Been several years. I'd have to look at a parts manual to see what holds what.

• Phluphy said thank you

#13 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 943 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted November 24, 2015 - 07:30 PM

You can do it in the frame on that craftsman ll, but if you do like you said you may have enough room when I remove those trannys, I take the brake linkage and band off after I drop them down a few inches
  • Phluphy said thank you

#14 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted November 24, 2015 - 08:05 PM

You can do it in the frame on that craftsman ll, but if you do like you said you may have enough room when I remove those trannys, I take the brake linkage and band off after I drop them down a few inches

Familiar with the hi/low linkage on the Limited Edition but it's not the same as on the Craftsman II. The rough part is, there appears to be no way to disassemble the 2 piece link to the control rod. In fact the book doesn't show the link.

#15 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 943 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted November 24, 2015 - 10:19 PM

Th

Familiar with the hi/low linkage on the Limited Edition but it's not the same as on the Craftsman II. The rough part is, there appears to be no way to disassemble the 2 piece link to the control rod. In fact the book doesn't show the link.

the control rod have two p style clamps to hold it against the frame?
  • Phluphy said thank you