Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

How do you Replace Bearings and Seals on Peerless Transaxles?

peerless steiner 420 s20 steiner

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted November 24, 2015 - 02:06 PM

I replaced the hydraulic oil in my S20 last night. I jacked it into the air to get an oil pan under it, and noticed the right front tire and wheel slopped down... I checked it and it moves in 4 axes about 1/8 inch...

I suspect a worn bushing or bearing in it...but can't find any information on how to repair them... I'm sure you have to remove the axle extension, but do you have to tear the tranny apart as well???  Any help would be appreciated.

Smitty

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted November 24, 2015 - 03:56 PM

Smitty, Have you checked our transmission manuals section?  This one is pretty good for most of them.  http://gardentractor...chanics-manual/   There are more too. Good Luck, Rick

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted November 24, 2015 - 05:23 PM

Front wheel you say moves, but have to tear into trans?  What is this S-20?  Confused on that. You meant rear wheel? Seals should come out with work would think from outside, but bearings probly need complete tear-down. If not leaking yet, I would wait, but that is Me!

#4 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,582 Thanks
  • 3,961 posts

Posted November 24, 2015 - 05:35 PM

Is it on the Steiner?

#5 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted November 25, 2015 - 12:19 AM

Front wheel you say moves, but have to tear into trans?  What is this S-20?  Confused on that. You meant rear wheel? Seals should come out with work would think from outside, but bearings probly need complete tear-down. If not leaking yet, I would wait, but that is Me!

Sorry, I should have been more specific.  The S20 is a Steiner articulated tractor--the model that precedes the 420, and essentially the same tractor in the early version.

It has a Peerless 2502 transaxle... same basic unit as the Ford LGT Hydros used, also the old MTDs, etc.

Smitty

#6 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted November 25, 2015 - 12:21 AM

Is it on the Steiner?

Yes... Sorry, I should have been more specific. It is the same basic transaxle as the ones on the early MTDs, and the Ford hydro LGTs...

The Ford LGT parts manual shows a seal and a bearing on the end, but this has so much slop it makes me think it's a bushing, but my Steiner parts manual doesn't say--it just has the whole transaxle.

Smitty

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: peerless, steiner 420, s20, steiner