22 replies to this topic

#1 Sugarmaker OFFLINE  

Sugarmaker
  • Member No: 51516
  • 205 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted November 24, 2015 - 10:57 AM

Folks,

Saved this machine from the scrap yard. Unsure of the plans for it. Thought I would share a few pictures.

As found. This starts on gas then changes over to diesel.

DSC01500.jpg

DSC01502.jpg

DSC01503.jpg

Got it running and moved to my daughters farm a year ago. Did some light work with it. Ran the right track off once.

DSC01870k.jpg

DSC01882k.jpg

DSC01894.jpg

Brought it home a month ago.

DSC04644.jpg

DSC04646.jpg

Keep your hands inside the cockpit till the ride has stopped:)

DSC04647.jpg

DSC04648.jpg

Need to work on the steering clutch adjustments.

DSC04651.jpg

DSC04652.jpg

Regards,

Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker, November 24, 2015 - 07:09 PM.

• olcowhand, ducky, Gtractor and 8 others have said thanks

#2 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,626 Thanks
  • 2,579 posts

Posted November 24, 2015 - 11:35 AM

That is nice !  Looking forward to seeing the progress with it. Nice save.                                                                                                                Roger

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,477 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted November 24, 2015 - 11:52 AM

Great photos. Thanks for posting them. Hope you will restore it. 

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,397 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted November 24, 2015 - 11:54 AM

Aha! A GT mover for disabled tractors! Either in the bucket or lift and move!

#5 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,756 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted November 24, 2015 - 01:23 PM

I bought a 1955 AC HD6G shoveldozer in 1988. Used it alot building the house. I want to resurrect it soon. It is handy to have the power. Whatch the tracks, chains, and rollers for wear. Sometimes alittle smoothing with a welder or a grinder can make the chain last alot longer. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, January 13, 2016 - 08:09 PM.

#6 Sugarmaker OFFLINE  

Sugarmaker
  • 205 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted November 24, 2015 - 07:32 PM

Maybe it could be a compactor? I do know my battery charger was no match for it. The charger was about a 1/4 inch thick after I realized I forgot about it setting on the track:)

Just so many worn areas and leaks on this machine. I was born in the same year and have some of the same issues too! So I guess it can be expected:)

I like to fix things but this might be a very long and expensive project?

Thanks for taking a look. I do enjoying sharing pictures. If I do start on it I will try to keep you up to date. Its tarped for winter right now.

I have the steering clutch adjusters free and would like to get a visual of their condition.

I see HF has inspection cameras for $90. That would be a nice addition to see in some tight places.

Regards,

Chris

#7 Leonard VanCamp OFFLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • Member No: 62684
  • 235 Thanks
  • 196 posts

Posted November 24, 2015 - 08:39 PM

One thing I have read about a few times that you have to watch out for with those IH gas to diesel engines is that you have to let them cool down before you shut them off or you end up ruining the engine.

• MH81 and Sugarmaker have said thanks

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,254 Thanks
  • 28,603 posts

Posted November 24, 2015 - 09:00 PM

I have a friend with a TD 9 and another with a TD340.
The 340 is lacking some ponies as its compression is getting low, but it keeps running and he loves it.
It also has the drott bucket. Super handy addition.

Enjoy the TD, they are solid little machines.

#9 Sugarmaker OFFLINE  

Sugarmaker
  • 205 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted November 25, 2015 - 08:38 AM

One thing I have read about a few times that you have to watch out for with those IH gas to diesel engines is that you have to let them cool down before you shut them off or you end up ruining the engine.

Yes I have ran it on gas for a minute or so before shut down. I have visions of still doing some work with this machine. Not sure the pocket book has the depth:)

Regards,

Chris

• Cvans said thank you

#10 Sugarmaker OFFLINE  

Sugarmaker
  • 205 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted November 25, 2015 - 08:24 PM

Found a return spring for the steering clutches handles and have to look to see if there is a stop under the front of each handle that adjusts how far forward it moves? These flop to the front of the machine now. Not correct, per book.

Regards,

Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker, November 25, 2015 - 08:25 PM.

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,397 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted November 26, 2015 - 06:32 AM

Found a return spring for the steering clutches handles and have to look to see if there is a stop under the front of each handle that adjusts how far forward it moves? These flop to the front of the machine now. Not correct, per book.

Regards,

Chris

Could there be 2 springs to keep it upright?

#12 Sugarmaker OFFLINE  

Sugarmaker
  • 205 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted November 26, 2015 - 06:43 PM

Kenny,

I think I found part of the issue. I was looking at another forum where I see that there are adjustment stops under the front edge of each handle. Went out today and sure enough there are some stops there. Looks like a hex nut and lock nut below. So I will see if I can move these and bring the handles to a more correct vertical position.

Regards,

Chris

• KennyP said thank you

#13 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted November 26, 2015 - 08:18 PM

Nice old hi-lift!  I have a 1960 IH T340 with Drott clam bucket.  Pretty capable for it's size, but it's a bit underpowered.

• Sugarmaker said thank you

#14 Sugarmaker OFFLINE  

Sugarmaker
  • 205 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted November 27, 2015 - 04:41 PM

Today was a dozer day. Played with it most of the day on and off. Took the inspection covers off above the steering clutches. Good news is that the brake bands look pretty good! I adjusted the turnbuckles and added the new taller stops so the handles dont flop all the way to the front of the cockpit. Still not sure that was the right thing to do because you still have to pull the handles into your lap to get much action. I did take some pictures and will get them posted a little later. Cold be the clutches are bad or just rusted up???

So with the steering clutch levers adjusted to remove most of the play, I fired to old girl up and even with the deisel line leak I got her running on diesel in about 5 min. Had to bleed the injectors.

It turned a little better. Using the brake hard it spun to the right pretty good. Not so good to the left. 

Went down in the yard and pushed a tree over. As I was pushing it stoped forwad motion. Shifted into revers and the right track just wiggled a little. Humm. Thought I might have ruined the main clutch. Then I had the idea to un-adjust the steering clutches a tad. Yep that was it. Took right off moving again. Did some donuts in the field as I kept trying the steering clutches and brakes.

I think if I adjusted the left brake that it might pivot better on that side too?

I tackled the pesky diesel fuel line leak today also. Friend brought over a tube wrench and a 3/4 crows foot, and this was just what I needed to ger to the brass nuts on the fittings. Took the 1 foot line off and found that the solder joint failed, thats why it was leaking. Cleaned up the parts and resoldered the fitting on the line. Reinstalled and no leaks! Took the bottom drains off the seconday and primay fuel filters these were plugged with black gunk. I will have to check with NAPA on filters.

Played with the control to start the engine on gas. I think its supposed to lock over center but has been altered or something and will not stay in the gas position without holding it.

Also added the one return spring to the steering lever.

Will get some pictures up soon.

Regards,

Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker, November 27, 2015 - 04:44 PM.

• olcowhand, grnspot110, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,397 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted November 27, 2015 - 04:47 PM