• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 yardiron OFFLINE  

yardiron

• Member No: 2796
  • 23 Thanks
  • 78 posts

Posted April 20, 2011 - 03:50 AM

I have an New Holland S-8 here that I bought not running. Its rough but most of that is due to be kept outdoors. The transaxle works great but the shifter is a mess. Someone made their own shift handle which hits the right rear tire.
I need to find either a new shift handle or a good clear pic of what the original lever looked like. Apparently the original one either broke off or got bent and someone made one from 1/2" rod. It works fine other than the fact that it lays on the tire when you let go of it.
Apparently it didn't bother the last owner as the tire and handle are well worn from constant contact. The black plastic shift bezel or guide is also busted to pieces.
I'll have to find a new bezel some place but was wondering if the bezel was the same as on the larger models?

I've found very little on these both locally and at the New Holland site. I've tried typing in the model number but with no luck. The model on the tag reads 299666.
S-8 gives me either a 3hp briggs motor at the NH site or a snow blower at the Ariens site. Apparently the 1973 model differs quite a bit from the 1974 and up models.
I was told elsewhere that the model began in 1972. The engine on the tractor is date coded 4/1973 so that too agrees with the model year.

This is a metal hood model, no head lights, with an 8hp Briggs Stratton vertical shaft engine. It very much resembles the larger models as do most of their models from that period that I've seen.

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted April 20, 2011 - 04:30 AM

Do you have pictures ?

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted April 20, 2011 - 02:44 PM

:wewantpics: :picsoritsnotyours:

#4 yardiron OFFLINE  

yardiron

• Member No: 2796
  • 23 Thanks
  • 78 posts

Posted April 21, 2011 - 01:59 AM

No pics of that one yet, it's at work sitting in the back for now. I have to remember to take a camera to work too to get pics.
They look basically just like all the other Ariens YT models, but with a few odd pieces I guess.

#5 Harry Quinn OFFLINE  

Harry Quinn

• Member No: 2271
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted April 27, 2011 - 09:12 PM

Go to the Ariens web site, go to parts radar, click Ariens customer. put 935 in number block. The S-8 is just like the Ariens YT series. Ariens bought New Holland in 1975 and still supports these tractors. Let me know how you make out. Harry Quinn