• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Orange appeal OFFLINE  

Orange appeal
  • Member No: 77395
  • 294 Thanks
  • 223 posts

Posted November 24, 2015 - 08:51 AM

What drove you guys to love and appreciate orange both simplicity and allis? For me it was pure chance it was just the first Tractor I bought it could have easily been red or yellow not green though lol. After buying my wd and going to orange spectacular I realized just what a fan base allis still had and how cool people who collect orange are. I'm not color blind I do enjoy other colors but it seems everywhere I go wearing my ac shirt it always sparks up some fun conversation s and I always meet new people. After doing some digging and learning what kinds of cools advancements they made it just drove the nail home I was hooked on orange.
  • hamman, boyscout862 and karl have said thanks

#2 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman

The Simplicity collector

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 465 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted November 24, 2015 - 09:27 AM

My dad got his grandpas wc which led us to be a simplicity family. They are heavy duty and good tractors.

• hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 24, 2015 - 10:04 AM

I do not own either,I have a ford. But Allis Chalmers holds a special place in my heart.
I was a town kid, but spent a week on my uncles farm every summer.
Riding on the fender of my uncles C while he cultivated his corn is a special memory.
Then between high school and going off to college, I worked in a factory town as a grounds maintenance man.
My work was done with a C, and the mowing was done with a B with a belly mower.
  • Orange appeal said thank you

#4 Orange appeal OFFLINE  

Orange appeal
  • 294 Thanks
  • 223 posts

Posted November 24, 2015 - 10:29 AM

OK so I know ac and simplicity were together but over heard it was kinda off and on what's the whole story there?

#5 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted November 24, 2015 - 10:50 AM

Well, the short version is that Allis asked simplicity to build them a garden tractor... And the B1 was born. After that simplicity came out with the landlord and so Allis inherited the B10. In 1965 Allis purchased simplicity manufacturing. There were a few years where they had to separate manufacturing buy brand because the government anti-trust laws prohibited the tractors from being designed the same. When Nixon repealed those laws in or around 74 then the tractors became the same again. In the mid 80s, Allis went under, and Simplicity purchased itself back to become their own entity. Deutz-Allis, which had purchased the remnants of Allis Chalmers, then contracted Simplicity to continue building garden tractors under the Deutz-Allis name...later to become the AGCO name. Simplicity still makes AGCO tractors today.

Edited by Talntedmrgreen, November 24, 2015 - 10:53 AM.

• classic, 637Yeoman and Orange appeal have said thanks

#6 Orange appeal OFFLINE  

Orange appeal
  • 294 Thanks
  • 223 posts

Posted November 24, 2015 - 12:14 PM

Lol that's alot of back and forth but I suppose government has to have its hand in evrrything. I like ac but the simplicity paint schemes always drew my eye their orange and white just looks cooler I guess. Those duetz ones are ugly no offense to anyone ust that lime green isnt very appealing I think anyway. I thought Briggs and Stratton made an ac mowers still?

#7 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted November 24, 2015 - 12:27 PM

Briggs did purchase Simplicity Manufacturing in 2005(?).  They recently brought back the Allis Chalmers brand, on one of the lower tier riding mowers.  Allis is not again company, however.

#8 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted November 24, 2015 - 12:52 PM

Lol that's alot of back and forth but I suppose government has to have its hand in evrrything. I like ac but the simplicity paint schemes always drew my eye their orange and white just looks cooler I guess. Those duetz ones are ugly no offense to anyone ust that lime green isnt very appealing I think anyway. I thought Briggs and Stratton made an ac mowers still?

I'm with ya...AC tends to be more collectible, as the AG tractor collectors drive that market a bit.  Simplicity's look better though, to me.  

I got started as a kid...my Dad had a 2110 around, which I later learned to mow and push snow with.  My Grandfather had gifted it to him when my Mom & Dad bought their first house.  My Grandfather had purchased a B-110 new, and like it so well that he bought the 2110 to share the work at their place in central Ohio.  Grandpa grew up with AC's on the farm.

I helped him repaint his B-110 orange the winter of 1998...I was 15, and couldn't care less about an old garden tractor, but was working off paying for my first car, which I was buying form he and my Grandmother.  I regret my frame of mind terribly...he passed away before that paint job was a year old.  The tractor sat in storage, only seeing the occasional mow job (backup mower to an Ariens) until I bought my first home in 2007.  My Grandmother gave it to me so I could mow.

I hated the tractor, more or less, until I realized that the smoke I was eating was due to a poorly tuned carb.  I got that fixed and began to enjoy the cut!  When winter came, I wanted a plow, as I had used on Dad's 2110 as a kid.  What I found instead was a 3012 with hydrolift, 46" plow, tiller, 42" blower, etc.  I got a great deal, but had that tractor sold before I got it home...to the buddy who went with me to pick it up!  I kept the then free tiller and plow, which I still have today.

That shopping experience opened my eyes to the world of Simplicity built machines and attachments.  I soon sought out a sicklebar, then found my Dad's old 2110 and brought that back home.  Since then...I have to just assume I have had over 100 of these.  Most I pickup as a package, and keep an attachment I needed, like that first purchase.  Many are distressed machines that I fix up and pass on.  The past couple years, the whole hobby has become a social thing as well.  I like meeting folks, going to shows, and helping other collectors.  I have become very involved in the Simplicity & Allis Chalmers Garden Tractor Club (simpletractors), and recently began exploring other brands, and keep my two (soon to be three) young sons close at hand to enjoy them too.

I wish Grandpa was still here to enjoy with his great grandsons.  

• classic and Orange appeal have said thanks

#9 CraftsmanGT OFFLINE  

CraftsmanGT
  • Member No: 67395
  • 187 Thanks
  • 227 posts

Posted November 25, 2015 - 06:18 PM

I love how simple and durable they are. All are proven designs and implement attaching is the easiest and it's easy to adapt other implements to them. And they give an awesome cut

#10 ACmowerguy OFFLINE  

ACmowerguy
  • Member No: 67204
  • 291 Thanks
  • 290 posts

Posted November 26, 2015 - 06:46 PM

My first tractor was my AC Homesteader 8.  I soon after picked up a Broadmoor initially for parts and later began to fix it up. I did pick up other brands along the way but have always liked the AC/Simplicity products the best. To me, they are built better and are easier to work on compared to the other Sears Suburban and MF tractors I have had. The wide range of attachment interchangeability is also a plus. Over the years I have managed to purchase lots of new parts from closing dealerships and have put together a nice stock of both new and used parts for the machines I use regularly. I had also began collecting AC dealership memorabilia about five years ago and have now attended two GOTO shows and the Orange Spectacular. I'm in this hobby pretty deep now. I also now tend to lean more towards the AC's over the Simplicity tractors because they seem to hold their value if not possibly appreciate value, while I have seen the older Simplicity tractors prices declining.

Edited by ACmowerguy, November 26, 2015 - 06:47 PM.

• 637Yeoman said thank you