• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 metalmonkey OFFLINE  

metalmonkey

• Member No: 2819
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted April 20, 2011 - 12:02 AM

I just got given a john deere lx178...the problem it had was that it wouldnt charge....the owner would charge the battery with jumper cables, then drive it off the battery until it wouldnt spin the blades...then charge and go, etc.........i inspected the wiring harness, and there was a black striped wire from the voltage regulator? (black finned box attached to the metal frame the dash is attached to, behind battery) that had scorched the plug and probably wasnt connected anymore...also the smaller red wire coming from the battery + terminal was only barely attached.........i redid the wire connector on both, and i feel confident about them...battery is likely dead, but i have a starter/charger...give it some slow juice for a while and it reads just under 14v and steadily falling....so it wont hold the charge, but the charger should provide enough...............it always worked with a good charge from the battery...but now the issue is that it doesnt engage the starter.....as in the signal from the switch board isnt there...pink wire with white stripe.......I know the starter works because i made a jumper wire, and it kicks right over, but the circuit board attached to the key switch isnt putting out juice....i even removed the yellow/black wire at the board that was shorting, causing the fuses to not get power...still no ignition.....the switch and board look great, they had grass and gunk all over, but its clean now and looks to be normal and not burnt....so im stumped....

i found this website cause it seems like you have a download of the service manual, but i need to post to be able to get it?...im fine with that, just not sure what else i can do

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted April 20, 2011 - 08:00 AM

Hang in there , there are some pretty sharp guys here that will be able to help you out . Al

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted April 20, 2011 - 06:25 PM

Before you second guess your handiwork, take a look at all the safety switches that it has. An out of adjustment clutch switch can rear it's head at the most inopportune times. Same with the mower switch, etc.

As for the manual, look around enjoy your stay, put in some input on topics you are comfortable with and next thing you know, you'll have your "Over 10" post count.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 23, 2011 - 05:50 AM

Hi

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have done a lot of troubleshooting. One thing I would look for is an open or wrong connection somewhere. You can't take anything for granted when something like this happens. Check your repair work to make sure something isn't misconnected. Also check continuity of all wires and chassis ground connections. Because there were bad connections or shorts in the system that may have damaged something on the switch board, perhaps even the ignition switch itself. Double check the fuses as well. If you are getting power to the board but no power out then there must be something wrong, it just may not be obvious from a visual inspection.

#5 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted April 23, 2011 - 07:19 AM

:wave: metalmonkey Welcome to GTTalk! Glad to have you with us. I'm afraid that I din't know much about your John Deere problems, but I do have a suggestion for some posting opportunities. You could head over to the member introductions forum and say hi to everyone. Maybe tell us a little about you and post some pics of the project and the suspects. Hope you get it figured out and enjoy the forum!

#6 sjmac OFFLINE  

sjmac

• Member No: 4978
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted July 19, 2011 - 07:04 PM

I had the same problem with my LX178. The fix was replacing the voltage regulator. You will need to remove the batttery and console (steering wheel, etc.) to have easy access to it. It is mounted by two bolts and was easy to replace. The cost is about $90 for a new one. The dealers ask $150 but you should be able to find it online for under $100. The repair guy who sold me the LX178 told me the voltage regulator is the problem 90% of the time when he sees this condition. Once I replaced it, the JD has started like new every since.

Good luck!