• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • Member No: 70148
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted November 23, 2015 - 11:06 AM

Getting a bit stiff with antiquity, any suggestions on fabricating a work station so I don't have to be dong a lot of bending, crawling around on hands and knees, to service our GT's?

Had an idea, better-half shot it down when she referenced getting on and off the thing 2 feet above the barn slab, wasn't real keen on me using the log arch to lift it while laying under it either.

• hamman, Traill95 and chieffan have said thanks

#2 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted November 23, 2015 - 11:22 AM

Edited by Jazz, November 23, 2015 - 11:27 AM.

• hamman, boyscout862 and Phluphy have said thanks

#3 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted November 23, 2015 - 12:07 PM

From time to time this subject comes up and there have been several solutions.  You can do a search and it will come back with quite a few threads.  Here is one started by OCH that may be of some help.

I use the HF lift table with a 3/4" plywood board on top to give me some width, the table is made for Motorcycles, and use clamps to hold it to the table.  It has served me well for the last few years.  The only thing I can't put on it is a zero turn but I have had all kinds of tractors and motorcycles on it.  It also serves quite nicely as a work bench when I don't have something big on it.

I believe Uncle Willie just built something more in line of what you are thinking so you may want to check with him.

• Alc, hamman, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#4 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted November 23, 2015 - 12:43 PM

I have been contemplating the same thing. Having read the other post and looking at lift table I can't afford, I have begun making plans for a wooden table ( plywood and 2" X 4" construction)  that will lift up to 800# using cables and a boat winch. Ya I know sounds impossible but when I get the plans done I will send them to a friend who is an engineer and see what he thinks. I have a gravel (limestone) floor in the garage so I can't use small wheels. They will have to be pneumatic tires to be able to move around in the garage. My son and I are drawing these plans up and when done I will post them, sometime in the spring.

Roger

• HDWildBill, chieffan and Phluphy have said thanks

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted November 23, 2015 - 02:02 PM

Search the forums section for "Operating Table Done" and you should come up with the one I made using left over pieces of lumber.  Have used it one full summer now and am very satisfied with it.  I had an electric winch on hand so used it but a boat trailer winch would work just as good.  Any questions about it PM me and will help you out best I can.

• hamman and Phluphy have said thanks

#6 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted November 23, 2015 - 03:47 PM

I have harbor freight motorcycle one with wood on it. Not the best, but works for most. The table itself is sometimes in the way depending on the work. There are a few postings on here with ideas and pictures, not sure how you search to find them?? There are a few metal ones against a wall that use a hoist to raise them up and then have safety braces to hold. They are smaller and are clear underneath to get at items there. Could make a drive up one, but that makes for safety issues too with needing good controls and brakes, and sometimes one needs to PUSH it up on there when not working.

• hamman and chieffan have said thanks

#7 baerpath OFFLINE  

baerpath
  • Member No: 10928
  • 314 Thanks
  • 514 posts

Posted November 23, 2015 - 05:51 PM

This is what I use, lifts 1800lbs nice and easy.  Keep a lookout on craigslist found a 1000lb airlift table for $400 and almost new harbor freight one for $150 guy said it was in the way when not using it

IMG_0293.JPG

• hamman, EricR and Phluphy have said thanks

#8 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,568 Thanks
  • 3,951 posts

Posted November 23, 2015 - 06:59 PM

I got an old office chair to sit on. With my wooden floor, rolls nicely and is a good height.

#9 Traill95 ONLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,575 Thanks
  • 918 posts

Posted November 23, 2015 - 07:40 PM

Getting a bit stiff with antiquity, any suggestions on fabricating a work station so I don't have to be dong a lot of bending, crawling around on hands and knees, to service our GT's?

Had an idea, better-half shot it down when she referenced getting on and off the thing 2 feet above the barn slab, wasn't real keen on me using the log arch to lift it while laying under it either.

http://gardentractor...otorcycle-lift/

This is what we use.

• Phluphy said thank you

#10 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted November 23, 2015 - 08:24 PM

This is what I use, lifts 1800lbs nice and easy.  Keep a lookout on craigslist found a 1000lb airlift table for $400 and almost new harbor freight one for $150 guy said it was in the way when not using it

attachicon.gifIMG_0293.JPG

Those are a nice lift but real pricey.  I looked at HF lifts before I built mine and did not feel they were all that strong or stable.  Talked to the floor manager about them and he advised they were not for the heavier GT's.  So I walked and built my own.  Probably have $25 in it excluding the winch and most of that was for 2 new 2 X 10's.  Rest was left over from a machine shed project.