• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Manfjourde OFFLINE  

Manfjourde
  • Member No: 74288
  • 78 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted November 21, 2015 - 08:01 PM

Has anyone used this? I'm curious if it worked well and if you have some videos or pics of it in action? I'm a little concerned about durability of the tractor since it doesn't have trip springs.
  • CharlesDes said thank you

#2 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 988 Thanks
  • 672 posts

Posted November 21, 2015 - 08:34 PM

You should be fine just don't drive it like you stole it. Your tires will slip before you do much damage, this old equipment was built with pre China steel! You could easily modify a trip blade to fit your mounts I would think, that is if your feeling like you don't want to risk it. Good luck, give it a go just go slower, I for one think if you own things you should use them, that's why they were built.
  • boyscout862 and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted November 21, 2015 - 08:52 PM

Only weak point I see is your drive pawls, if you hit something hard you may possibly break one. Other than that it was made to push snow and dirt so as long as you know it's limitations and dont expect it to do the work of a tubeframe you'll be ok I would think

• Bolens800uk said thank you

#4 Manfjourde OFFLINE  

Manfjourde
  • 78 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted November 22, 2015 - 10:56 AM

Only weak point I see is your drive pawls, if you hit something hard you may possibly break one. Other than that it was made to push snow and dirt so as long as you know it's limitations and dont expect it to do the work of a tubeframe you'll be ok I would think

Pawls are the half moon woodruff keys yes? I do want to use this tractor, if I just let it sit there won't be much point in me owning it even though it will look good it will take up space I don't have.

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted November 22, 2015 - 11:03 AM

They are the things that operate your ratchet wheel drive

I know I broke one on my versa-matic just rolling it in freewheel so was thinking the same scenario for ice chunks ect, but would have to think the wheels would just spin if your pushing forward.

They wouldnt be too hard to make , just need a cad drawing and someone can cut it on one of those plasma cutters

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN3891.JPG

• Manfjourde said thank you

#6 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • 988 Thanks
  • 672 posts

Posted November 22, 2015 - 12:16 PM

Just a thought but I would think you could have those made out of a better material for its purpose, possibly titanium. Just thinking maybe even an alloy more suitable for the stresses this part is under. We have come great lengths in metalurgy, one good thing to come from all this tech being developed that our young ones seem to not be able to live without!

#7 Manfjourde OFFLINE  

Manfjourde
  • 78 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted November 22, 2015 - 12:20 PM

I used to be into RC trucks and something I learned is there's always a weak point that WILL break. I want the part that breaks to be cheap and easy to replace - I guess time will tell. I hope if anything the wheels just spin. I have a toro thrower which works great. The blade will be a novelty and more for dirt and rock and debris.

#8 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • 988 Thanks
  • 672 posts

Posted November 22, 2015 - 01:11 PM

I was heavy into rc at one point I found the weak spot was letting the wife take the controls, she can break anything! I agree with you something will always give way, but I like rc cars these aren't miniature and were built for this. What kind of cars did you build, don'ttell me the almost ready to drive stuff, tthat's not rc?

#9 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted November 22, 2015 - 01:16 PM

The person to ask would be member gunstuff1000 , he has the most experience out of all of us on the Ride-a-Matics

#10 Manfjourde OFFLINE  

Manfjourde
  • 78 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted November 24, 2015 - 11:07 AM

I was heavy into rc at one point I found the weak spot was letting the wife take the controls, she can break anything! I agree with you something will always give way, but I like rc cars these aren't miniature and were built for this. What kind of cars did you build, don'ttell me the almost ready to drive stuff, tthat's not rc?

I know that feeling - they are expensive! Haha, none of that RTR filth, I started with that when I was a kid but now I do scale stuff. I am thinking of selling it all though and just sticking with RC planes and tractors as it is expensive to run them and since they are scale builds I don't like to beat on them. Here are a couple I've recently done. The Jeep wasn't done in the pic but who am I kidding, they're never "done".

Do you think a versa matic is comparable to a ride a matic? There are some vids on YouTube of versa matics pushing snow. Or, I scratch pushing snow/stuff with the RAM and get a blade for a Cub Cadet 125 hydro?

Attached Thumbnails

• 6024421400_0f42b74e83_o.jpg
  • 9201856426_e2b2ff9eb7_o.jpg
  • 14639635506_82d6768411_k.jpg

Edited by Manfjourde, November 24, 2015 - 11:10 AM.

#11 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • 988 Thanks
  • 672 posts

Posted November 24, 2015 - 05:55 PM

The cub is a hearty tractor, I have a 1250 with plow and deck for 300 if your interested. Looks like an older clod chassis in the one pick. We were the into the indoor carpet racers, we used to go with Mario andretis pit crew they were nuts, would rebuild the bearings every race! Used to trade pizza for parts and got great deals, when we stopped managing the pizza joint it got expensive.