• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted December 11, 2015 - 09:11 AM

After studying those,valves, where would it be possible to add on one more valve?
I have a set of forks for mine and it would be nice to have a "thumb" on it occasionally when using the forks for non-pallet situations.

It would almost have to be outside the assembly and mounted low due to a limited amount of room where they are now.

Don't mean to hijack, just wondering if you have a thought being freshly in there an all.

Sounds like you would have to use another valve for that situation. On these, you just add another section to the middle for another valve. If you want the same brand valve, the FF's used this style as a single.

• MH81 and devans have said thanks

#32 devans OFFLINE  

devans
  • Member No: 68585
  • 367 Thanks
  • 256 posts

Posted December 11, 2015 - 07:43 PM

Sorry to take so long with my answer, I'm working the night shift 7:00-7:00 and slept all day.

I'm not an expert per say on these valves in regard to adding valves but to me I'd add a section to one end and keep the ones for the arms and bucket together, but that's just my feeling.

If you do add a section, try to get the one without the float option. The shorter cap. Wouldn't want you to accidentally drop what you're carrying.

If room is a problem then adding a separate valve tee'd into the system is the answer, again go with the no float option for safety.

And you weren't hijacking.

• MH81, Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#33 tiretrx ONLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 932 Thanks
  • 679 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 09:25 AM

As mentioned a ways back, I'm taking on making new cylinder rods for Don's Kwik-Way. I have never done cylinder rods before, but the job seems pretty straight forward. Twenty five years of machining for a living has taught me never to let my guard down.

The process started with getting the chrome rod necessary. It's 3/4" round, and purchased from a supplier dedicated to cylinder parts and raw material. After I miked up the sample part Don sent me, it was time to fire up the Haas Tool Room lathe. It's a conventional/CNC hybrid, that's perfect for short run, precision jobs like this.

This is the chrome rod chucked up. You'll notice the bronze sleeve around it in the chuck. This is a 3/4" ID bushing that I split and slid over the material to prevent the surface from being marred. At this point, the OD profile has been turned.

20160127_154730_zpsozytpdca.jpg?14539896

Grooved.

20160127_155008_zps6zr9prb3.jpg?14539896

Threaded.

20160127_155619_zpslpxdjigz.jpg?14539896

Next the raw material for the pivot hub were cut. Made some extras........in case this thing works out :hide:

20160126_131942_zpsuqakson6.jpg?14539896

Here's one turned, and the rod safely back home for now.

20160127_162759_zpsyrofz62j.jpg?14539896

Next, I want to mill a 3/4" round, shallow flat on the pivot hub to help ensure perpendicularity between it and the rod when it is welded. Should be done soon...........if there's no problems :praying:

• KennyP, Cvans, WrenchinOnIt and 2 others have said thanks

#34 devans OFFLINE  

devans
  • 367 Thanks
  • 256 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 02:26 PM

Oh man, it feels like christmas eve all over again.

• tiretrx said thank you

#35 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,494 Thanks
  • 5,022 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 03:12 PM

The nice thing about your tractor is you shouldn't have to add a lot of weight to the back of the tractor when using the loader.

Like your loader mine was half buried in dirt and I thought for sure I was in for a lot of work. Thankfully it was in an area where very little water could get to it and the rats or Wood Chucks had tilled the ground so much that the drainage was excellent. 

Your is coming along great. Looking forward to seeing it on the tractor.

Edited by Cvans, January 28, 2016 - 11:36 PM.

• devans said thank you

#36 devans OFFLINE  

devans
  • 367 Thanks
  • 256 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 05:32 PM

Thanks. 

I plan to fill the tires and I have about 80 lbs of wheel weights too. I'm going to put 500 lbs of wood pellets in the bucket and see if that's enough. If that many bags will fit that is. 

It might be a bit longer before it gets mounted up. I'm about to tear the tractor down for a cosmetic refurb now that the mechanicals are good. Plus I have a couple of upgrades planned for it while it's apart. That will be covered in my 816 thread.

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#37 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,494 Thanks
  • 5,022 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 11:44 PM

Be careful with how much weight your putting on that front axle. If it was right over the axle that's one thing but with that weight that far out front it's going to put a lot more strain on the front of the tractor. I have mine set to lift 400 hundred pounds. If I were to drive into a rut or hole the load would momentarily increase dramatically. I have a cast iron front axle on mine and so far it hasn't been problem.      Your tractor could be built a lot heavier than mine though. Just something to think about. 

It's fun watching your project come along.

• devans said thank you

#38 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,299 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted January 29, 2016 - 07:52 AM

I went to catch up on this thread.
Photobucket is down for maintenance and there isn't one picture in the whole thread.
One of the reasons it's sometimes better to upload direct to the site.

After PB is up, maybe consider it?

Anyways, I'll catch up later. Glad you're still having fun with it.
  • KennyP and devans have said thanks

#39 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted January 29, 2016 - 08:18 AM

Photobucket is down for maintenance and there isn't one picture in the whole thread.

I'll agree with that!

#40 devans OFFLINE  

devans
  • 367 Thanks
  • 256 posts

Posted January 29, 2016 - 08:29 AM

Be careful with how much weight your putting on that front axle. If it was right over the axle that's one thing but with that weight that far out front it's going to put a lot more strain on the front of the tractor. I have mine set to lift 400 hundred pounds. If I were to drive into a rut or hole the load would momentarily increase dramatically. I have a cast iron front axle on mine and so far it hasn't been problem.      Your tractor could be built a lot heavier than mine though. Just something to think about. 

It's fun watching your project come along.

Truth be told the hydraulics on the Kwik way loader has a max pressure setting of 400 psi and I will be setting it there when the time comes so that will be my limiting factor. If it picks up 500 lbs then it does, if it's less then so be it but I really don't want to go above the 500 lbs.

I'm not naive enough to think this little loader can do the job of it's larger cousins. The Gravely/loader should be plenty heavy duty enough for the jobs I have in mind for it, mostly whatever I'd use a normal sized wheelbarrow for with the occasional heavy lift.

I will be converting my very small backyard into a patio about 40'X40', the loader will make that job a little faster than hand digging the topsoil out and moving the patio materials in.

If you haven't yet, check out my thread on my 816 GT. That will give you an idea of how heavy duty it is.

• MH81, KennyP and Cvans have said thanks

#41 devans OFFLINE  

devans
  • 367 Thanks
  • 256 posts

Posted January 29, 2016 - 08:35 AM

I noticed the same thing. I was going to put an update in I had missed. 

I have considered uploading directly to the site but my threads tend to be picture heavy and I was concerned about taking up too much space. Plus some sites I'd have to resize the pictures and I'm not real good at that.

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#42 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted January 29, 2016 - 08:49 AM

I noticed the same thing. I was going to put an update in I had missed. 

I have considered uploading directly to the site but my threads tend to be picture heavy and I was concerned about taking up too much space. Plus some sites I'd have to resize the pictures and I'm not real good at that.

Go ahead and load directly to the site. Our software will resize fairly large pics, mine are usually over 4000 pixels square. We've got room. Photobucket has been known to 'lose' pics and they would no longer show here.

• devans said thank you

#43 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,299 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted January 29, 2016 - 09:52 AM

The resizing can happen on the site end or on your end.
If you want some tips on doing on your end, there are some easy ways for most Operating Systems
  • devans said thank you

#44 tiretrx ONLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 932 Thanks
  • 679 posts

Posted February 03, 2016 - 01:28 PM

Getting to the final hurdle on the rods, and for me, the one of most concern...........the welding. My biggest concerns are a) getting a strong, deep weld b) not marring the chrome finish in any way.

Key to these is having a good fixture and the part well grounded. As to the fixture, I make thousands of assorted eye bolts a year. So I was able to retro an existing fixture up. Had to make a new eye locating stud(3/4"). Also bent up a copper cradle for the shaft to rest in. A brass shim is placed between the shaft and the clamp screw. Finally, I ground directly to the rods end that has been turned, and threaded.

This is one ready to take out of the fixture after a deep tack weld. Lots more weld needed, but the finish looks good thus far.

20160203_125232_zpsuydvevok.jpg?14545234

20160203_125218_zpsv59lwa35.jpg?14545234

• MH81, Alc, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#45 devans OFFLINE  

devans
  • 367 Thanks
  • 256 posts

Posted February 03, 2016 - 03:05 PM

Now that is nothing short of professional Ellis.

• tiretrx said thank you