#1 Traill95 OFFLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,566 Thanks
  • 914 posts

Posted November 20, 2015 - 07:35 PM

Does anyone on here collect older woodworking tools? I cleaned out a garage for a lady whose husband had passed away a few years back and had these tools in his garage. Anyone interested in them can have them but needs to come pick them up. I really don't want to pack them up and ship them.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC02220.JPG
  • DSC02222.JPG
  • DSC02224.JPG
  • DSC02225.JPG
  • DSC02226.JPG
  • DSC02228.JPG

• Alc, Bruce Dorsi, hamman and 2 others have said thanks

#2 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,625 Thanks
  • 2,577 posts

Posted November 20, 2015 - 08:38 PM

To bad they are so far away or I would have them. Neat old tools really. I especially like the old 45 miter saw.  Thanks for sharing.                              Roger

#3 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,065 posts

Posted November 20, 2015 - 09:21 PM

If I was closer I'd take that jointer off your hands. Cabinet Looks homemade. Really neat.

Those old manual miter saws work great. I did all my trim in my first house withnone. Couldn't afford an electric one at the time. Did the trick

Edited by toomanytoys84, November 20, 2015 - 09:23 PM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,743 Thanks
  • 7,515 posts

Posted November 20, 2015 - 11:21 PM

If I was closer I'd take that jointer off your hands. Cabinet Looks homemade. Really neat.

Those old manual miter saws work great. I did all my trim in my first house withnone. Couldn't afford an electric one at the time. Did the trick

I did the trim for several houses with one many years ago. There is a certain peace and feeling when using good hand tools when working wood. On a normal project we would be doing the finish work at about this time of the year. Good Luck, Rick

• Alc said thank you

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted November 21, 2015 - 08:34 AM

How many people have a had saw around any more.  Wood butchers, aka carpenters, laugh at you when you mention a hand saw and most don't own one. 
When I started driving nail my boss said when I learned how to split a pencil line with a hand saw and could cut a 1 X 4 off square without a line I could use his Power saw.  I learned and a year later we were putting is stairs with out a nail in them anywhere.  This was when all stairs were stained and varnished so every joint had to be tight.  Now they throw them together and cover up their shoddy work. 
All our trim work was done with a miter saw like the one shown.  Ever put a #4 finish nail under the save side to undercut the 45 just a bit for a tight fit?  Done it all the time.

• Little Irish Men said thank you

#6 Little Irish Men OFFLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • Member No: 61934
  • 661 Thanks
  • 385 posts

Posted November 21, 2015 - 11:38 AM

If you were closer i love to have them , and donate them to the carpenters union . The  International Training center  in las vagas is the second larges privet  collections  of tools in the united states.  They have severly  deplay cases and people restoring them  . The first is stanley tool company.

Patrick.

#7 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted January 01, 2016 - 08:40 AM

The first pic of the jointer looks like an old sears, not complete as the cutter guard is gone.  If you still have that miter saw, look on the back strap close to the center and see if there is any stamping or etching on it.  Looks like it might be a Disston.