• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,743 posts

Posted April 19, 2011 - 03:31 PM

First impression, what could be wrong? This engine smokes like a locomotive and uses as much oil.
Image001 (Small).jpg
If you guessed blown head gasket, you are partially correct. How about snugged head bolts, maybe 10 ft. lbs. or less.After removing head, this is what I found.
Image014 (Small).jpg
Image003 (Small).jpg
I believe she need some love. What do you all think?

#2 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted April 19, 2011 - 03:53 PM

I think you're also getting a lot of oil around the rings with that much in the combustion chamber...but that head gasket was DEFINITELY leaking LOL.
  • KennyP said thank you

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,743 posts

Posted April 19, 2011 - 05:42 PM

Just pulled the piston, shows very little skirt wear. The cylinder is good, needs honed. Crank is real smooth.
Image016 (Small).jpg
I will remove the grenade gears, bottom one is a little sloppy. This block is gray colored, so probably a rebuilt short block. It is a std. bore.

Attached Thumbnails

• Image015 (Small).jpg
  • Image019 (Small).jpg
  • Image017 (Small).jpg

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted April 19, 2011 - 07:38 PM

Be sure to check the valve to guide wear also. Worn valve stems & guides can really cause oil consumption.
  • MH81 said thank you

#5 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,415 Thanks
  • 2,118 posts

Posted April 19, 2011 - 08:12 PM

I would say Dan has you on the right track on the oil issue.

#6 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1559
  • 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted April 19, 2011 - 08:58 PM

Kenny, check crankcase breather on valve cover, if it is not right, it will burn oil and smoke like a '55' Nash Rambler.

Just a thought, george.

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,743 posts

Posted April 20, 2011 - 05:18 AM

Thanks guys. George, it had a LOT of blowby out the tube from the breather. Will look into that, along with valve guides. Probably have to strip down to bare block so I can take it down to have bore checked, unless I can find some one to come here. Hate to tear down more than necessary, but I can't lift it.

#8 jscam OFFLINE  

jscam

• Member No: 1902
  • 21 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted April 20, 2011 - 12:43 PM

Kenny, last winter when I pulled down my 321, the internals looked pretty much like yours, and it was using LOTS of oil. Come to find out during the rebuild it had the wrong dipstick in it (how that happened I have NO idea) and I was running WAY too much oil in it. The breather was good, but it just couldnt handle the large amount of oil when the crankcase was pressurized.........soooooooo.........it had to go somewhere, past the rings, thru the guides, etc. Just one more thing to check!
  • KennyP said thank you

#9 RustyTub OFFLINE  

RustyTub

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2702
  • 25 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted April 20, 2011 - 03:11 PM

I am still a newb with GT's and the smaller engines but what do you mean by gernade gears??? the cam gear is not a fiber material is it??

#10 jscam OFFLINE  

jscam

• 21 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted April 20, 2011 - 04:31 PM

Rusty, I think he means the balance gears (no, they're not fiber) that some K series Kohler's had............some folks take 'em out and throw 'em away on a rebuild. They have a VERY nasty habit when they fail............they usually take the block with them.
  • KennyP and RustyTub have said thanks

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,743 posts

Posted April 20, 2011 - 04:40 PM

I am still a newb with GT's and the smaller engines but what do you mean by gernade gears??? the cam gear is not a fiber material is it??

The balance gears are what we call grenade gears. Took mine out today. They have tiny needle bearings that will fail eventually, causing the gear to fall loose and wreak havoc with the internals. Most times, a picture window is created in the block. Instant destruction.
Besides removing the balance gears, got the cylinder honed, cleaned and trued the head on my po'boy Bridgeport mill (piece of glass with 320 sandpaper glued to it). Cleaned the gunk out of the 'pan' and ordered parts. I believe the main oil consumption was due to worn rings causing excess internal pressure, thus blowing out oil thru any opening it could find. They weren't stuck as I original had thought. Hopefully, I haven't overlooked something. I did pull the breather apart and all looks correct there. Will spend the next few days tiding up different things.
How hard is it to pull the PTO clutch? As mine is installed, the wire for it comes out under the plate for the spring tensioner for the PTO belt and is mashed flat. Want to turn it 180 degrees so wire comes out on the starter side, thus ending this problem.
Have to see if I can find some 3/16" allen head bolts for the new rubber mounts I plan to install. Old ones are riveted. Can't think of much else I did today.

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,743 posts

Posted April 20, 2011 - 04:42 PM

Thanks for explaining, jscam. Just noticed you are across town so to speak, so hello neighbor.

#13 jscam OFFLINE  

jscam

• 21 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted April 20, 2011 - 08:37 PM

Yep, hello neighbor. What'cha workin on Kenny? A Case by chance? You mentioned rubber mounts. Oh, 3/16 hex head screws, probably Westlake has 'em.........probably SS too if you want........
  • KennyP said thank you

#14 RustyTub OFFLINE  

RustyTub

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2702
  • 25 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted April 20, 2011 - 10:45 PM

Does the removal of the balance gears cause any more vibration due to no balance gears.

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,743 posts

Posted April 21, 2011 - 02:40 AM

RustyTub, probably. I have not had an engine with them before now. But mine is on rubber mounts, so won't be that bad.
Jscam, it is a Ford LGT 165, closed side. Westlake is quite a ways from me. I think I'll try Lowes.