• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Wrenchheadred OFFLINE  

Wrenchheadred
  • Member No: 77893
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted November 20, 2015 - 12:41 PM

Have a cub cadet puller with a Midwest super cub clutch. Started making squeal noise when let out on clutch. Noise stops when you push down on pedal. Through out bearing bad? Any ideas?

#2 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted November 20, 2015 - 12:43 PM

Does it make the noise when the clutch is all the way out as well? Any signs of it slipping even a little?

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,796 Thanks
  • 7,542 posts

Posted November 20, 2015 - 12:48 PM

Welcome to GTT. The throw out bearing is working when you step on the clutch. If its quiet when you step on the clutch, I would not suspect the bearing. I suspect the clutch needs to be adjusted. Check our Manuals Section for the correct manual and adjust it as they recommend. Good Luck, Rick

#4 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,303 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted November 20, 2015 - 02:08 PM

Neighbors CC102 was making a horrible sound when he picked it up.He has a Red spring on it with stock clutch.

I crawled under it and was looking around and found that it had one of those Cheap Chinese throw-out bearings.Never seen one wear like that before but the Whole back side of the bearing was worn though.Thinking that the clutch hanger was out of adjustment for a while and it was hanging up as it was running.

The hanger had very little wear on it but the bearing was thrashed.

Take a nice bright flashlight and craw under it and take a good look at the back side of your bearing where hanger makes contact with it.

I don't know what for metal those cheap bearings are made of but they don't hold up very well.They must be made of some very cheap tin or something.Definitely not a good heat treated made in the USA bearing.

As far as the input shaft on the tranny I've never had one make noise even when they are 1/2 full of water.

#5 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,157 Thanks
  • 4,503 posts

Posted November 20, 2015 - 02:26 PM

We send a ton of scrap to China and we get 1.5 tons of merchandise back due to the dirt and junk they throw.

• EricFromPa, EricR and dodge trucker have said thanks

#6 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted November 21, 2015 - 10:03 AM

I had that on my daily driver Dakota a few years ago, same symptoms that you describe. and yes it was the throw out bearing. In fact it did it to me twice, 5000 miles apart. I bought the 1st one from the parts store that my son worked at, and my 1st question was "Cmon; can you get me some other brand of clutch kit? It's a lot of work to replace it anyway, I don't want to do it twice".  Even if it took me 2-3 days of waiting, because they had to source a different warehouse to get me what I wanted. which was simply a product from pretty much anywhere but China. (prefer made in USA or Canada to anything else)

It was "Perfection" brand, and in big bold letters, it said "made in China" right on it.  I pulled it apart and took it back, I had to exchange the whole kit/disc, pressure plate and all because that's what I'd bought; a "clutch kit"  If it didn't have so few miles on it I would not have thought about replacing everyting again but with only 5000 on it I wanted to replace just the bad throwout bearing.

5000 miles later it did the same thing again. This time, I asked for a refund, and I ordered a LuK brand clutch kit from Rock Auto. This clutch has been in there problem free for 50,000 miles and counting. Not US made but Mexican as I remember, much lesser of evils vs China made.

I remember the 1st time it happened, I was at my last job, where I worked swing shift, I was on the 3-11 "swing"  and it started screeching about 1/2 way to work. When it was time to go home, I pulled in the driveway at almost midnight, my neighbors were out on the front porch, lights on, and I could just see them staring at me as I came around the corner, I had to push in on the clutch to get it to stop, but didnt have enough momentum to coast all the way into the driveway, every time I let it out it sounded like a dozen cats fighting....

#7 WIGTPuller OFFLINE  

WIGTPuller
  • Member No: 78032
  • 8 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted November 24, 2015 - 07:27 PM

I had a similar issue with my wife's tractor.  After discovering the clutch slipping I removed the assembly and found that the rear pressure plate was spinning on the shaft.  The spiral pin had either broken, or fallen out and was allowing it to spin with the clutch disc.  It moved the tractor and did ok at the pulls until I noticed the tires stopped moving and the tractor's rpm's didn't falter.  I would highly recommend pulling that clutch assembly out and give it a good inspection.  Hope this helps.

• Dieselcubmike said thank you

#8 WIGTPuller OFFLINE  

WIGTPuller
  • Member No: 78032
  • 8 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted November 24, 2015 - 07:45 PM

Might want to inspect for any clearance issues too before you pull the clutch assembly out. I know it seems simple but if something worked itself loose while the tractor was running, you really can't tell.  Also check the pivot point of the clutch arm.  When I first started pulling I was on a VERY tight budget and didn't up grade the mount for the clutch arm.  The pressure from the stiffer quickly oblonged the hole for the pivot pin/bolt.  This could cause misalignment and/or noise too.  Good luck

• Dieselcubmike said thank you

#9 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted November 24, 2015 - 11:36 PM

On my fathers diesel, his clutch went up in smoke and didnt even bother to grab. Here the collar on the drive shaft slid just enough to take the tension off the spring. Check your collars and make sure they are nice and tight. Also inspect your throw out bearing.

#10 Chris11 OFFLINE  

Chris11

old Member

• Member No: 1601
  • 1,626 Thanks
  • 944 posts

Posted November 26, 2015 - 09:34 AM

You have a picture of the set up? That would help. What clutch is it?