#16 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,153 Thanks
  • 1,217 posts

Posted November 20, 2015 - 07:55 PM

If you think their may be a problem with the magnets in the flywheel you could try this.  Get a small work light or flashlight with a magnet on the end of it ( or a regular shop magnet) and tape or tie wrap it to a piece of 2x4 with a hole drilled in it from the side so that will fit snugly on the crankshaft but still rotate and position the magnet end such that it will just clear the trigger coils and pass over them (may have to scab some wood on the side of the 2x4 to space the magnet back towards the engine to line up with the trigger coils) when you rotate the 2x4 on the crank.  You could turn it by hand in an arc in the same direction as the magnet on the flywheel would move to simulate the magnet on the flywheel passing over the trigger coils and see if you get any spark output from the coil with everything wired up correctly - should not have to move the magnet real fast as the flywheel does not turn that fast when cranking to generate a spark.  If you get no spark in one direction try swinging it the other way and see if it generates a spark - if it does then the trigger coil assembly may be mounted incorrectly.  This should let you simulate the flywheel turning without having to reassemble and disassemble the flywheel as you experiment - just suggestions to try and help.   

• Alc and Chubien have said thanks

#17 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,178 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted November 20, 2015 - 08:17 PM

There is a tab protruding from the stator mounting ring.  I have not seen any diagram that shows the orientation of this tab.  Turning the stator ring over would change the position of that tab and the orientation of the trigger coil.  It will mount either way.  I mounted it the way the old one came off but like you said, that may well be wrong. 

Look at page 2 of the pages linked by Eric.  .....Granted these are illustrations, not photos, but they show the tab mounted the opposite of yours, and the wires coming out of the stator coming out the top end. 

As all the wires are molded into the coil assembly I cannot tell which coil is for the trigger and which ones are for the power.  There are 3 coil ends protruding above the coil assembly.

You mention that you think my coil may be mounted incorrectly.  Are you say that the wire from the - post on the coil is to go to the ignition switch?  If so which terminal?  Or are you saying the wire from the ignition harness is to go to the ignition switch? 

No, I was referring to the stator coil being mounted upside-down. 

The diagrams that I have seen indicate that the trigger coil in the one closest to where the wires exit the actual coils.  Turning the stator over would put the magnets passing the trigger coil first, the the power coils.  Which way is it supposed to be? 

Do the magnets produce the power to the module, then the magnets rotate on around till they get to the trigger coil, which would release the stored power to the coil and create the spark?

• Chubien said thank you

#18 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,165 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted November 20, 2015 - 08:41 PM

I saw that and know what your talking about.  But if you look at the illustration to the right of that large drawing, it shows for a S14D the coil mounted the way I have mine but it does not show the tab.  The TRA12D shows the coil mounted like the large drawing shows, or to the lower left of the crank shaft.

So which coil is the magnet on the flywheel to pass over first, the charging coils or the trigger coil?  The flywheel rotates clockwise facing it.  As I have the coil mounted now, the magnets will pass the charge coils first, then the trigger coil.  If I turn it over, the magnets will pass the trigger coil and then the charge coils.  Different drawings I have seen show the trigger coil being the one closest to where the wires exit the coils.

Got nothing to loose so may turn the coils over and try a temp hook up and see if I can get any spark.

Edited by chieffan, November 20, 2015 - 09:13 PM.

• olcowhand and Chubien have said thanks

#19 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted November 21, 2015 - 07:38 AM

Interesting reading the manual Eric linked , the factory pretty much tells you to swap parts until it works lol  Thought maybe they would tell how to check for pulses or voltages  nope . Hope you find the problem

• chieffan said thank you

#20 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,165 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted November 21, 2015 - 09:24 AM

Interesting reading the manual Eric linked , the factory pretty much tells you to swap parts until it works lol  Thought maybe they would tell how to check for pulses or voltages  nope . Hope you find the problem

Your right, the manual is not much help for troubleshooting.  I have put everything on new from the stator to the plug.  Going to try something and see what happens. Going to hook it all up temporary like, lay a piece of card stock between the coils and an old antenna magnet.  Then pull the magnet across the coils and see if I get a spark.  If there is spark, I know the magnets are week in the flywheel.  If there is no spark, time to seriously look for another engine.  And it won't be a Wisconsin with electronic ignition unless I see it run.

#21 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,165 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted November 24, 2015 - 05:03 PM

Had the flywheel looked at today by a long time tractor and skid steer mechanic.  Has a lot of experience on the Wisconsin twins and V4 as well as the old Briggs singles.  He could not see anything that could possibly be wrong with the flywheel.  Magnets had plenty of pull.  When I got home I got the installation instructions out that came with the coil and module.  Then something crossed my mid.  Could someone have put an TRA12D engine in that tractor and put the S14D fan shroud on?   Question is would the shroud or flywheel cover off a S14D fit on a TRA12D engine?

When the timing mark on the flywheel is lined up with the pointer, the key way of the shaft/flywheel is right before 12 o'clock.  As close as I can tell the leading magnet is right on the trigger coil.  From that I think it is safe to assume that the flywheel is correct for that engine.  I guess all I can do is put it back together again and try it one more time checking for spark.

Edited by chieffan, November 24, 2015 - 05:26 PM.

• olcowhand said thank you

#22 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,700 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted November 24, 2015 - 06:47 PM

From the pics you posted you definitely have the larger "S" series single in there and not a TRA

• chieffan said thank you

#23 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,165 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted November 24, 2015 - 08:18 PM

Thanks Brian.  Don't trust my own judgement on this thing any more.

#24 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,165 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted November 25, 2015 - 01:39 PM

Smoking turkey legs and thighs this morning so started to put things back together.  I tried to turn the stator over like was suggested as a possibility.  If you notice in the photo of the mounted stator, the laminated cores of the stator are on one side of the mounting plate.  This prevents the stator from being mounted flipped over.  It simply will not go on.  With only one way to mount the stator, it is back on along with the flywheel and front shroud.  Next to mount the belt/starter rope pulley and PTO drive belt pulley.  Then the engine can be set back down on the mounts.   Will add more later when I get additional items added to the system.

90% back together, engine anchored down and ignition is hooked up the way the drawing show and that way I had it previously.  Battery was low so had to charge it.  Left the charger connected but unplugged and drew the battery down.  Will mount the fuel tank in the morning and then see if there is spark.  If there is will se if I can get it running.  If not, it goes in the back of the shed and forget about it this winter.  :deadhorse:     :wallbanging:     :mad2:

Edited by chieffan, November 25, 2015 - 05:37 PM.

#25 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,165 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 09:15 PM

Enough is enough.  That S14D is in pieces on the floor never again to give anyone fit trying to make a spark.  Will check the hydro tomorrow with a 6 hp Briggs. It that checks out of will be looking for a Briggs to put back in.  Don't want anything to do with a Wisconsin ever again.

• Alc said thank you