• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • Member No: 70148
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted November 19, 2015 - 01:27 PM

Getting better half's Craftsman 917.254422 Onan 20 ready to mothball until next year.

Anyone know the spark plugs and oil filter?

Should I change the electronic ignition parts etc. while it's down?

Have air filter-fuel filter info but having a problem with locating right plugs and oil filter.

Should I drain and change trans lube?

Thanks for your patience guys.135.jpg

#2 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 990 Thanks
  • 674 posts

Posted November 19, 2015 - 03:32 PM

I would normally not recommend changing ignition parts that are not broken or faulty, you know the old saying , don't fix what ain't broke! No advice on plug and filter, I don't know your particular tractor.
  • Phluphy said thank you

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted November 19, 2015 - 04:01 PM

I agree with the post above , if the ignition system works leave it alone

If you can get me some engine numbers I can pull up the correct part numbers for you

May even have everything here instock at an every day low price :D

• Phluphy said thank you

#4 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted November 19, 2015 - 04:14 PM

I agree with the post above , if the ignition system works leave it alone

If you can get me some engine numbers I can pull up the correct part numbers for you

May even have everything here instock at an every day low price :D

Will do, as soon as I can find the engine ID information...wherever it's located...

Thanks

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,486 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted November 19, 2015 - 05:02 PM

Will do, as soon as I can find the engine ID information...wherever it's located...

Thanks

That should be on the shroud. If it is electronic, most likely a P218.

• Phluphy said thank you

#6 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted November 19, 2015 - 05:05 PM

Searsparts.com has many pix and info if you have that long model number, which I see you do. I would not change oils and plugs and such items till it is gotten out in spring myself. Gonna be inside?  If outside, good cover, oversize with weights on it, tied on is best, wind gets these in winter. THEN, you might wanna put oil in cylinder and turn over a little, drain gas from carb, put up on blocks and grease and oil all the linkages. If inside, not problem. Oh, and battery out of it and near charge area and in warmer spot than just a shed or cold garage.

• boyscout862 and Phluphy have said thanks

#7 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,334 Thanks
  • 1,322 posts

Posted November 19, 2015 - 06:37 PM

And if it is parked outside check for critters in the spring , IE: mice , whatever before you start it,,,they can do a lot of damage in short time 

• Phluphy said thank you

#8 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted November 19, 2015 - 09:00 PM

Searsparts.com has many pix and info if you have that long model number, which I see you do. I would not change oils and plugs and such items till it is gotten out in spring myself. Gonna be inside?  If outside, good cover, oversize with weights on it, tied on is best, wind gets these in winter. THEN, you might wanna put oil in cylinder and turn over a little, drain gas from carb, put up on blocks and grease and oil all the linkages. If inside, not problem. Oh, and battery out of it and near charge area and in warmer spot than just a shed or cold garage.

We only average a week or so freeze down here, never has stayed a consistent freeze during the day ...most I've seen in 30+ years anyway.  Was going to fire it up once or twice a month to keep things lubed. It is stored inside so no problem there.  Eh, barn cats do a good job with critter control. Will grease and oil all linkage, axles etc, general putzin and hold off on oil change, filters, plugs, until spring.

May get around to replacing the light panel module I've procrastinating on for several months. Haven't figured out how to take the good face plate off the replacement, remove the old one and get everything glued/welded together so it looks like something other than Homer Simpson did it.

Thanks for the information.