13 replies to this topic

#1 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 19, 2015 - 11:14 AM

They are predicting the first snow storm for this area Friday into Saturday.
5 inches of snow for this area. Since they usually underestimate the first fall of the year I expect more.
I put off mounting my chains till the last minute, but will put them on and mount the rear blade this afternoon. Hate mounting those heavy chains for the 24 inch tires, but it has to be done, there is always ice under the snow.
  • Alc, KennyP, Traill95 and 5 others have said thanks

#2 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,607 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 19, 2015 - 11:35 AM

Keep that nasty crap up that way. 

I'm supposed to drive an old firetruck in a Christmas parade Saturday morning.  It's open top - no heater.

Hoping for sunny and 75.  :(

• Alc and chieffan have said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,409 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted November 19, 2015 - 11:43 AM

Hope it isn't too bad up there! It's chilly down here.

Kris, better break out the long johns!

• Gtractor said thank you

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,146 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted November 19, 2015 - 11:52 AM

Kris your getting soft.  Riding around in AC all summer and sitting by the fire all winter drawing rocking chair $$$.  HA! HA!

They are predicting the first snow storm for this area Friday into Saturday.
5 inches of snow for this area. Since they usually underestimate the first fall of the year I expect more.
I put off mounting my chains till the last minute, but will put them on and mount the rear blade this afternoon. Hate mounting those heavy chains for the 24 inch tires, but it has to be done, there is always ice under the snow.

They still say it is going North of us.  We are about 40 miles South of I 80 so don't look for much.  If you think chains are heavy for 24" tires try field chains  for 38"  tires.  Putting them on isn't as bad as getting them drug into position.  I always hang min up just inside the door.  Getting them off the spikes and to the tire is about all I can handle any more.  Over this way they say it is all North of I 80.  Look for a dusting and that's all.  Don' hurt yourself with those chains.

• Gtractor and KennyP have said thanks

#5 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted November 19, 2015 - 12:29 PM

Hate mounting those heavy chains for the 24 inch tires

I don't blame you. Seems like I always found a way to pinch my fingers putting on tractor chains. Installed a backhoe and now I don't need chains anymore.  :smilewink:

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 19, 2015 - 01:01 PM

Kris your getting soft. Riding around in AC all summer and sitting by the fire all winter drawing rocking chair $$$. HA! HA!

They still say it is going North of us. We are about 40 miles South of I 80 so don't look for much. If you think chains are heavy for 24" tires try field chains for 38" tires. Putting them on isn't as bad as getting them drug into position. I always hang min up just inside the door. Getting them off the spikes and to the tire is about all I can handle any more. Over this way they say it is all North of I 80. Look for a dusting and that's all. Don' hurt yourself with those chains.

Chief fan you said you had worked around Newton. You probably remember where Clement Feed & Grain was, on Hwy 14 (it is now Heartland Coop) and my place borders their property. So am about 3 miles north of 80.
The chains came with the tractor, and the guy I bought it from said they were off a county grader. They fit in a 5 gal bucket and I have no business lifting that bucket. I have the tractor on the pad in front of the garage, I will take my SUV down to the tractor shed and bring them up to the garage. Seems like it always takes 1 1/2 hours to do a 10 minute job?

Edited by JD DANNELS, November 19, 2015 - 01:02 PM.

• Gtractor, KennyP and chieffan have said thanks

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 19, 2015 - 01:07 PM

Keep that nasty crap up that way. 
I'm supposed to drive an old firetruck in a Christmas parade Saturday morning.  It's open top - no heater.
Hoping for sunny and 75.  :(

Kris, your not likely to hit 75, your far enough south your more likely to get rain best find your raincoat.
  • Gtractor and KennyP have said thanks

#8 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted November 19, 2015 - 01:14 PM

I'm about 35 miles south of I80 over here in NE IL, they are saying about 1-1/2", but just over the WI line they are saying about 6". They can have it.

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 19, 2015 - 01:20 PM

I'm about 35 miles south of I80 over here in NE IL, they are saying about 1-1/2", but just over the WI line they are saying about 6". They can have it.

That reminds me, I should see what they are predicting for EAU Clair, Wi. My youngest brother moved up their about a year ago.

#10 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,531 Thanks
  • 3,919 posts

Posted November 19, 2015 - 01:32 PM

I am not ready to hear a forecast like that. Too much to do yet before snowfall.

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,409 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted November 19, 2015 - 04:57 PM

Some folks will get a wake up call this weekend!

• shorty said thank you

#12 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,146 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted November 19, 2015 - 05:13 PM

And there is always a bunch that have to learn how to drive all over again.  Just can't leave 15 min early as that will interrupt their "schedule".

Chief fan you said you had worked around Newton. You probably remember where Clement Feed & Grain was, on Hwy 14 (it is now Heartland Coop) and my place borders their property. So am about 3 miles north of 80.
The chains came with the tractor, and the guy I bought it from said they were off a county grader. They fit in a 5 gal bucket and I have no business lifting that bucket. I have the tractor on the pad in front of the garage, I will take my SUV down to the tractor shed and bring them up to the garage. Seems like it always takes 1 1/2 hours to do a 10 minute job?

I bought my dog food for my hunting dog there.  I can back the tractor right up to the door so the first chain is about 5' from the right wheel.  Left one is of course is another 6'. 
These chain are the heavy field chains made from 3/8" material with the ring in the center over the tire.  Takes a good 1/2 hour for each side.  I jack the wheel up so it will turn free with the chains on.  I can keep rotating and adjusting that way to get them tight enough so they won't come off.  As warm as the ground is I don't think you will have to worry about moving any snow.  Any place there is bare ground it will melt as soon as it hits.  Trees, etc may accumulate some.  Better hope the ground freezes up solid before we get to much snow or it never will freeze.  That will be a muddy disaster.

Edited by chieffan, November 19, 2015 - 05:33 PM.

• CanadianHobbyFarmer said thank you

#13 CanadianHobbyFarmer ONLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted November 19, 2015 - 05:44 PM

I feel for all you guys. That is, I feel jealous. We are getting rain off and on right now, switching to snow in a few hours. Supposed to continue all weekend with squalls off Georgian Bay hitting my area. They have a weather alert up saying we could have up to a foot by Monday.

Jim

#14 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 19, 2015 - 07:07 PM

Yes they are predicting "a rough afternoon commute. This being the first major snow event of the season police are bracing for a busy evening". Quotes from KCCI. I sure won't miss the two hour drive in snowy traffic, that on dry pavement takes 45 minutes. Talked to my brother yesterday after the funeral. He had driven back from Arizona and had run in snow in New Mexico, Oklahoma, Kansas. He said when he went back he was not driving in snow. He would either go enough south to miss it or park and wait it out. He had done of having to do it in the truck, now retired he did not have to.
Chains are on, was dark when I finished, so will mount the blade in the morning.
Hopefully that will scare the snow away? But if it does not I am ready.

Edited by JD DANNELS, November 19, 2015 - 07:25 PM.

• KennyP said thank you