4 replies to this topic

#1 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,863 Thanks
  • 2,786 posts

Posted November 19, 2015 - 08:54 AM

After reading all the threads in the other brand tractor forum, this one was not represented . Not a lot of info about these tractors other then they were made in Norfolk VA. And were sold in Goodyear tire stores I'm told , they came with a B&S 5 3/4 H.P. engine. They are also chain driven and have chain steering. They may have been distributed by National Mower corp. From a warehouse in NY. They may have been made from the late fifty's and up until 1962 there were also implements for these. I own two of these tractors and have three of the implements for them a bottom plow a cultivator and a snow blade . These tractors have a reverse friction disk which did not work on either of my tractors when I got them. They were an asbestos type of wheel which I replaced with a modern type compound friction wheel of the same diameter but it still did not work because it made contact with a metal wheel and got no traction. After struggling for quite some time an idea hit me that ended the problem. I was in a vacuum cleaner store and noticed belts hanging on the wall for replacements they were the correct width and appeared to be right diameter I bought one and it fit like a glove over the metal wheel that came off the engagement mechanism . The friction disk now made contact with the rubber belt on the steel wheel as shown in the last two photos and problem gone. I know of twelve of these GTS there may be more . if anyone here owns one that's the answer for the reverse problem. Another quirk of these tractors is they will not free roll, the engine belt must be taken off.IMG_1128.JPG IMG_1130.JPG IMG_1131.JPG IMG_1132.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1281.JPG
  • IMG_1282.JPG

Edited by HANKG, January 06, 2016 - 02:25 PM.

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor, grnspot110 and 8 others have said thanks

#2 tiretrx ONLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 907 Thanks
  • 657 posts

Posted November 19, 2015 - 09:08 AM

Never saw one before Hank. Pretty spartan, but I guess that was prevalent at the time. Looks to be original colors? 

I like the look. What's the plans with it?

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,471 Thanks
  • 1,133 posts

Posted November 19, 2015 - 04:46 PM

hank
do you have a part number for the vacuum belt you used?
  • HANKG said thank you

#4 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,863 Thanks
  • 2,786 posts

Posted November 19, 2015 - 06:24 PM

Never saw one before Hank. Pretty spartan, but I guess that was prevalent at the time. Looks to be original colors? 

I like the look. What's the plans with it?

I would like to trade it for a 1960 Moto Mower lawn master 300B not an easy quest that's option one option two is to leave it as is clean it up and clear coat it. Thanks Hank
  • tiretrx said thank you

#5 tiretrx ONLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 907 Thanks
  • 657 posts

Posted November 20, 2015 - 09:24 AM

................................... option two is to leave it as is clean it up and clear coat it. Thanks Hank

Big fan of original. Bet it would clean up well. The more I look at it, the better I like it :thumbs:

• HANKG said thank you