#16 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,733 Thanks
  • 1,727 posts

Posted November 19, 2015 - 11:22 PM

They are over populated here too and sometimes they run in front of cars. And in some towns, like Berlin, you'll find more bush hogs than in nature. But here you need special hunting licenses, that are not easy to get.

Deere aren't over run here in the USA, Americans just like to shoot any and everything. We live out in the middle of nothing, tons of open prairie, wooded areas, farm ground, ponds every mile. I see a deer maybe once a week, however, the hunters are always thick around here, they all come down form different states, drive huge lifted 4x4 pickups that cost more then our house, they also bring down BRAND NEW utility vehicles and drive all over the place. All of these idiots have way to much money and enjoy shooting poor animals that aren't doing anyone any harm.

AAAHHHH, the U.S.A! :shoot3:

• jd.rasentrac said thank you

#17 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted November 20, 2015 - 12:02 AM

Deere aren't over run here in the USA, Americans just like to shoot any and everything. We live out in the middle of nothing, tons of open prairie, wooded areas, farm ground, ponds every mile. I see a deer maybe once a week, however, the hunters are always thick around here, they all come down form different states, drive huge lifted 4x4 pickups that cost more then our house, they also bring down BRAND NEW utility vehicles and drive all over the place. All of these idiots have way to much money and enjoy shooting poor animals that aren't doing anyone any harm.
AAAHHHH, the U.S.A! :shoot3:

I'm afraid we have a very serious difference of opinion. A friend of the family has hit 4 deer in the last year. I've been lucky with close calls numbering higher than that. It's a rare trip home in the evening when we don't see at least one deer in the fields near the road
As for the "Animals that aren't doing anyone harm" "statement", loss of crops, increase in deer tick exposure ( lyme disease, a very aggressive form of encephalitis, and a new disease with malaria like symptoms) is increasing. Also, PA has seen a nearly 10% increase in deer collisions in the last couple years. I believe we are number two or three nationally now. Unfortunately, the loss of human life has gone up as well. PA is not alone in these troubles. Just Googling "killed in collision with deer" will give hits from coast to coast and beyond.

Any increase in herd size can logically cause predators to become more common. Where there is prey, there will be animals to eat it. This will lead to increased human/predator interaction. I have three children and I am worried about the coyote explosion of late... We dont let the youngest go near the woods without an adult, have taught the older two to be wary. If the herds continue to grow, it's a real possibility that there will be larger canine predators and possibly even big cats to follow.

I am sorry that your opinions of hunters are less than favorable. That may be because of the caliber of hunter that frequents your area, but I take umbrage with the your generality. Please do not assume that all hunters are idiots. Wildlife management is a serious field of study that encompasses many sciences and measured practices. One of them is harvesting.
  • OldBuzzard, grnspot110, shorty and 2 others have said thanks

#18 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,619 Thanks
  • 7,662 posts

Posted November 20, 2015 - 07:14 AM

edit: This was a statement concerning news reporting of guns and hunting that I thought better of. Sorry!

Edited by LilysDad, November 20, 2015 - 07:16 AM.

#19 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 21, 2015 - 07:21 AM

We are overpopulated here IMO. These deer are also no longer afraid of humans. You can walk up to them, sometimes within 10 feet and they won't run off. The other day my wife was outside pruning some rose bushes and she looked up and a small buck was standing with in 10 feet. It seemed genuinely curious and it would not leave until she pelted it with a hand full of gravel. 

Within this subdivision there are large green spaces, lakes, brooks etc. and it's a perfect spot for them. As long as they stay within the subdivision there is no hunting due to houses always being in proximity. There is an increase in Black Bear and Coyote populations which should help keep them in check. 

In the small rural community where my parents live it is even worse. They sometimes see up to 15 deer in a herd grazing on the Oak trees and acorns, shrubs etc. In winter they will sometimes sleep laying right next to the house. I suppose that is to avoid predators, so they have learned that there is safety near the houses. 

They have extended the hunting season for bow hunting and allowed hunting on a few Sundays this year to try to cut down the numbers. That probably won't do much in our situation but may help in some  more rural areas. 

• MH81 and EricR have said thanks

#20 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,532 Thanks
  • 3,920 posts

Posted November 21, 2015 - 08:43 AM

This is one problem we don't have for some unkown reason. When we moved here I thought it could be.With a wildlife preserve on one side and farms on the other, I thought they would travel through. In the 12 years we have been here, I found one hoofprint on the property. A few miles away it is a totally different story, they are a total mess.

• MH81 said thank you