Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

New trailer shopping

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,218 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted November 18, 2015 - 08:38 PM

Jeff, no problem. I had my 1200 pound 5500 GVWR tilt trailer with a 3500 pound Farmall 140 on it coming back from Cincinatti Ohio, and never once was I lacking power to keep pace.

Yes, I remember our conversation about our trucks at plow day. While I have the somewhat gutless engine, you have the better, more powerful one. Mine does ok but a full trailer really bogs it down on big hills. I think the main reason for this is me to be honest. I don't like to push my equipment to the limit so I don't really get on it that much. You don't have many hills around you do you?😆
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#17 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,294 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted November 18, 2015 - 09:09 PM

Ours is an Appalachian trailer from Ohio.
There have been a couple small issues with it, but as a whole we've been very happy.
Issues, one zerk has been replaced twice and is frozen again. No clue why.
The wiring harness was decent enough wiring, but it is supported by running thru washers welded to the frame. Also, it had some crimp style splices.
The screws they used to hold down the decking were hard. So hard, they were brittle and some broke. I've heard they changed screws since.

#18 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 18, 2015 - 09:38 PM

Yes, I remember our conversation about our trucks at plow day. While I have the somewhat gutless engine, you have the better, more powerful one. Mine does ok but a full trailer really bogs it down on big hills. I think the main reason for this is me to be honest. I don't like to push my equipment to the limit so I don't really get on it that much. You don't have many hills around you do you?

Jeff, I dont think that your truck is gutless, but if you dont smash the pedal to the mat once in a while you will have carbon buildup that will rob power. Besides, the 4.6L Ford engines make their rated torque and HP around 4600 RPM. Additionally, If you pull the throttle body and clean the carbon out of it and change the air filter you will definitely feel some power increase. Im far from hard on my truck, but I do not waste time getting it up to speed getting on the four lane (no entrance ramps).

#19 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 18, 2015 - 09:43 PM

Trust me guys, as an electrician I will not buy a trailer if I dont like the wiring. Dad and I have both rewired all of our trailers until the wiring was all sealed and protected, etc. I think we put about $150 in electrical components on each of our trailers rewiring them. But we hate repairing the wiring.

I like what I am seeing in PJ also. I need to find dealers for these trailers and crawl all over them. Leaning towards car hauler design more, as they have more tie down places.

#20 case442 ONLINE  

case442

• Member No: 2504
  • 662 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted November 18, 2015 - 09:51 PM

Hi Casey
You seen my PJ when you stopped over. It's 82"x 14'. I love the trailer but the powder coating is terrible. I bought it new at southern ohio trailer sales in 2013. I complained numerous times and for that I revieved two cans of spray touch up paint and 150.00 check from PJ. If the trailer has 1500 miles on it I would be surprised. It has the side load ramps that really make it nice for loading. I have never experienced any issues while hauling it. Probably wouldn't buy another though because of the powder coating

Mike
  • Alc and wvbuzzmaster have said thanks

#21 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 19, 2015 - 01:02 AM

Ours is an Appalachian trailer from Ohio.
There have been a couple small issues with it, but as a whole we've been very happy.
Issues, one zerk has been replaced twice and is frozen again. No clue why.
The wiring harness was decent enough wiring, but it is supported by running thru washers welded to the frame. Also, it had some crimp style splices.
The screws they used to hold down the decking were hard. So hard, they were brittle and some broke. I've heard they changed screws since.

Well, just looked at their website and they now seem to have the "cut front corners". I did that on my green trailer and have always wished I had those corners and did the tongue slightly different. Only thing it gained me was more greed to load the trailer farther forward than I should at times. Enough so that every now and then I end up with too much load on the tongue to suit me.

So far the PJ C5 is looking good. Only thing I do not like is that they run 5 on 5" bolt pattern wheels and that would be different than all the other trailers I have. I much prefer to have fewer spare tires and wheels in service.
Two run 14.5" dayton style rims (like mobile home, but legit equipment trailer axles with legit equipment trailer tires).
The other three run 15" rims with 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern.
Current spare tire inventory is two per bolt pattern, since Dad and I both pull these trailers.

#22 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted November 19, 2015 - 03:42 AM

Hi Casey
You seen my PJ when you stopped over. It's 82"x 14'. I love the trailer but the powder coating is terrible. I bought it new at southern ohio trailer sales in 2013. I complained numerous times and for that I revieved two cans of spray touch up paint and 150.00 check from PJ. If the trailer has 1500 miles on it I would be surprised. It has the side load ramps that really make it nice for loading. I have never experienced any issues while hauling it. Probably wouldn't buy another though because of the powder coating

Mike

I bought my PJ 83" x 14' trailer from the same place and I've not had that issue. Mine does not have the side ramps.

I've put a LOT of miles on it in my various road trips I the HSM Rainmaker.

It tows great, and I barely know that it's behind me.

The biggest thing that impress me about the PJ trailers is that they use the Bulldog hitch.  Once you get it latched, it is NOT going to come off the ball.  I use a 'collar type' hitch lock instead of the pin as I want the anti-theft it provides.

Attached Thumbnails

• 81FmfzXke1L__SL1500_.jpg

#23 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted November 19, 2015 - 08:14 AM

We have some family friends who own a trailer shop. He used to sell all Gator, but then found the Big Tex brand. He said the overall quality of Big Tex is much better than the Gator.

#24 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted November 19, 2015 - 08:55 AM

Leaning towards car hauler design more, as they have more tie down places.

I picked this trailer up a month ago and did some improvising so that I have plenty of tie downs.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4352.JPG
  • IMG_4353.JPG

#25 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,294 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted November 19, 2015 - 11:08 AM

One suggestion would be 7' instead of 6' ramps. Easier to drive up and much easier to push up. Closer to the angle of most beaver tails so less chance of catching on something low hanging also.

Another idea is an extra cross or two in the ramps. Ours are longer and with extra Crosse and its a lot better than our old one.

I am not sure if I'd use 6' ramps for side loading. To short IMHO

#26 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 19, 2015 - 11:20 AM

I can't find any close Gator dealers, but have a dealer close by that has Big Tex and Heiser. Then I can find a reasonable distance PJ dealer. The things I do like with the PJ is that like Dave said, uses the Bulldog coupler, as I have two of those in circulation currently. The one I was looking at online has removable aluminum fenders, a nice feature that when loading some cars might come in handy. The Big Tex trailers look good but things I am seeing that I do not like is the angle iron frame sticks above the deck boards, which are not mentioned to be treated or not, but look not. Something I do like about the PJ C4 is that is is built very similar to my green trailer, and I only had one major issue with the green trailer and that is that 4" channel bows, which may be the boards pulling a shape into the trailer. On the PJ C4, that issue is negated by the two factors of the tongue being more 4" channel underneath, as well as being tandem axle. And if I get the rub rail (which I would) that would be even stronger in an indirect way, without adding a lot of weight. I do like the top of the frame being the top of the deck. I just need to go look at one. Might start out looking at the Big Tex and Heisers first, but will definitely want to see that PJ. And pricing wise they are all fairly equal between $2000 and $3000.
  • Alc said thank you

#27 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted November 19, 2015 - 08:59 PM

My big Tex has a diamond plate deck.
Things I would change are;
Add more tie down points.
Add a front mount in the center for a winch.
Add pump jacks to the rear corners so that the hitch doesn't lift when you drive on and off.
But the biggest thing is to re-mount the license plate to a better / higher position!

Joe

#28 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 20, 2015 - 12:38 AM

I picked this trailer up a month ago and did some improvising so that I have plenty of tie downs.

What brand is that trailer?

#29 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted November 20, 2015 - 07:26 AM

I can't remember where in wv you are but in Fairmont wv jarco trailer sales. I spoke to them last year about a trailer. They had good deals on a few different brands. I was looking at single axle 10x12 and they beat everyone I talked to prove by a few hundred bucks

#30 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted November 20, 2015 - 08:11 AM

What brand is that trailer?

It a Down To Earth 14,000 lb trailer.It has those cheap wire connectors that were brought up earlier and I measured the steel for the side rails and found the one fender to be a full inch further back than the other.I can't understand why they would use cheap wire connectors on a $5000 or so trailer to save less than $100.