wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 18, 2015 - 01:25 PM

So I need another trailer, and I have decided I need to just buy new this time, as I am tired of rebuilding trailers I buy for 2/3 cost of new and put 500 into getting up to my operating standards. So I have been doing some Internet shopping after comparing what trailers I have to what I have needed each time I used them. So far I have found I need a 6'10" (82") by 16 feet trailer set up with around 6000-7000 GVWR. I want bumper pull, deck between fenders, and ability to side load. I prefer treated lumber decking over steel or mesh. Anyway, found two good brands with two good options each. However, I have leaned towards Gatormade over Big Tex. The two Gatormade trailers I am looking at are:

Manufactured by: Gator Made Inc.
Model: 6.10x16 Side & Rear Gate
Product ID: 2u616sg

Manufactured by: Gator Made Inc.
Model: Flatbed Car Hauler (slide in ramps)
Product ID: 2lb16sr

Any thoughts on these trailers?

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, November 18, 2015 - 01:29 PM.

#2 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted November 18, 2015 - 01:35 PM

I never had one but I have heard talk from folks who have that the trailers with the side ramp are really terrible to tow.  Don't know why but that's the story I got.  That said, the gate ramps are great but they do make a difference in towing.  I can really tell the difference when I take mine off.  That's a lot of trailer to tow full with that truck.

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted November 18, 2015 - 01:42 PM

You need to match your loaded trailer to your tow vehicle.  If your loaded trailer is 6000 lbs and the tow capacity of your vehicle is 4 000, your in trouble before you even hook up.

• boyscout862 and Little Irish Men have said thanks

#4 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 18, 2015 - 02:25 PM

My truck is rated at 6000 pound towing. I want 7000 GVWR trailer because I prefer trailer safety factors. I also will never load more that 3200 pounds on the trailer when towing with my truck. Trust me chieffan, I take towing seriously, i already have 5 trailers available that my truck can handle and not one fits all i want, and never am I ever "fully loaded".

#5 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,391 Thanks
  • 1,526 posts

Posted November 18, 2015 - 02:26 PM

From what I have seen both Gator Made and Big Tex are both heavy well built trailers, I'm thinking about buying new also, but I am waiting until spring so I can pay my truck almost completely off, and because I am waiting until spring to try my road test again(don't let this fool you I do have a good knowledge of trailers and towing from living on a farm all my life and my father is a CDLA truck driver as well).  When I bought my truck I   bought it with the kind of hauling I do in mind, and yes I have a trailer in mind. 

#6 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 18, 2015 - 02:27 PM

Jeff, no problem. I had my 1200 pound 5500 GVWR tilt trailer with a 3500 pound Farmall 140 on it coming back from Cincinatti Ohio, and never once was I lacking power to keep pace.

#7 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted November 18, 2015 - 05:46 PM

I'm not familiar with gater made.
But, I just acquired a big Tex.
It pulls real nice.
Electric brakes work great.
My dream trailer would be an aluminum featherweight.
They are pricey. But, lighter trailer means greater load capacity.
And, better gas mileage when your hauling.
Plus, they don't rust!

Joe

#8 TimW OFFLINE  

TimW
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10778
  • 367 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted November 18, 2015 - 06:08 PM

You might want to look at the PJ Trailers made out of Ohio.  I looked at Gatormade's and several others when shopping around.  To me, the PJ's looked and were designed the best.

• Alc and wvbuzzmaster have said thanks

#9 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted November 18, 2015 - 06:16 PM

By Me is a trailer manufacturer that would BUILD exactly the trailer you wanted, OR, modify there plans with your options. Tie downs, ramp types, fenders, hitches, about anything. And they seem heavier metal than most I've seen. Prices I don't know, but place is real big now and all new.  I-69 Trailer Sales in Warren, IN. Google. You have such a place near you?  I have a 12,000lb trailer I got because I wanted to haul bigger tractors. I only have 1/2 ton truck and at times wished I had bigger. I wanted a flat top over the wheels deck, but even smaller were plenty big rating for my truck, so passed on that. 7000lb is about the rating for car hauler type rigs and some are a little light for big tactors. I always thought those kind with tilt deck that only tilts the last 2/3rds of the deck would be cat's meow, as they say. No ramps needed if only doing one tractor say. They are a little lower then too. Mine has wood sides on front area, but they lift out of stake pockets when I want to load from side. I use folding ramps for that and GT's go up that way alot, easier than trying to turn them once on trailer. Also fit more on that way. Course the fenders block some access that way still. I also have the heavy rear ramps that fold up and they keep lots of things on and can tie to them when up. They have support when lowered then too. I did have to make the center ramp, matched the outers for tri-cycle type tractors. They are heavy and hard to lift as a set, but can do with help, or just go individual when by myself. They all hook together with a cross-pipe once up in tow position. They rattle a lot when using, have to get used to that.

• grnspot110, Alc and wvbuzzmaster have said thanks

#10 EconChuck OFFLINE  

EconChuck
  • Member No: 18979
  • 251 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted November 18, 2015 - 06:22 PM

Chuckphonepics101912a 002.jpg Chuckphonepics101912a 003.jpg Chuckphonepics101912a 004.jpg When I bought a new tandem axle trailer, 3 yrs ago, I looked at SureTrac and PJ. These were brands that were available to look at in the Indianapolis area.

I wanted a hinged end gate but after lifting the heavy duty ones and finding them uncomfortable to lift decided on the slide in ramps.

I ended up ordering a 20 ft PJ, 10k capacity, treated wood floor, except for the 2' beavertail. I wanted extra stake pockets with rub rails to be able to use the ramps to side load with. My trailer came from their Texas facility and has a welded in Mexico sticker on it if that makes anyone concerned.

I would buy it again.

Chuck

Edited by EconChuck, November 18, 2015 - 06:32 PM.

• Alc, wvbuzzmaster and KennyP have said thanks

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted November 18, 2015 - 06:45 PM

attachicon.gifChuckphonepics101912a 002.jpgattachicon.gifChuckphonepics101912a 003.jpgattachicon.gifChuckphonepics101912a 004.jpgWhen I bought a new tandem axle trailer, 3 yrs ago, I looked at SureTrac and PJ. These were brands that were available to look at in the Indianapolis area.

I wanted a hinged end gate but after lifting the heavy duty ones and finding them uncomfortable to lift decided on the slide in ramps.

I ended up ordering a 20 ft PJ, 10k capacity, treated wood floor, except for the 2' beavertail. I wanted extra stake pockets with rub rails to be able to use the ramps to side load with. My trailer came from their Texas facility and has a welded in Mexico sticker on it if that makes anyone concerned.

I would buy it again.

Chuck

I like the jacks on the back to keep the trailer from raising the PU rear off the ground!

• wvbuzzmaster and Rock farmer have said thanks

#12 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,777 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted November 18, 2015 - 07:40 PM

I bought a 7' wide X 18' long tandem axle trailer earlier this year.

I was disappointed on several items on the trailer and like you, I had to spend money to make it right.

A few things to look for....

Make sure ALL lights are DOT approved, AND the right amount of lights for the trailer width/length.

Make sure the underneath of the trailer deck has been painted.

Make sure the bottom of the trailer frame is painted.

Make sure the brakes really work, and are on all 4 wheels!

Get rid of any wire connections that look like this: s-l225.jpg

#13 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted November 18, 2015 - 07:43 PM

My dream trailer would be an aluminum featherweight.
They are pricey. But, lighter trailer means greater load capacity.
And, better gas mileage when your hauling.
Plus, they don't rust!

Joe

I agree with parts of this statement. Aluminum trailers are pricey for sure. I own an Aluma flat and a Featherlite enclosed and know the issues. No rust is a positive thing. Better gas mileage when hauling is not accomplished with just a lighter trailer. Weight and wind drag are 2 big issues. Lowering the trailer as much as possible makes a difference here. Building trailers with aluminum is not just a simple matter of switching from steel to aluminum. Aluminum does not flex the same as steel and causes different issues. Fastening the needed steel parts to the aluminum parts creates another area of challenge. Then you need to understand the alloys of aluminum that are available and how to work with them and where to use them. Structural aluminum loses strength when heat is applied in the welding process so riveting is better. When it comes to aluminum it is all aluminum but it is not all the same. After almost 40 years of working on semi trailers I have learned a little about trailers and aluminum. Personally in these small trailers (tandem axle car hauler types) I would be looking for a well built steel trailer with torflex axles, built low to the ground with removable ramps. Any ramp that stands up on the rear sucks extra fuel. If I could swing it I would use electro-hydraulic brakes. I would want it coated with Corsol, no paint and surely now powder coating. I would want plenty of tie down points also. It would need a sealed wire harness also. Or buy a cheap trailer and get a new one every 2 years. 

I can be emailed under service here

http://www.wilsontra...s.com/index.php

Edited by Kurtee, November 18, 2015 - 07:45 PM.

• wvbuzzmaster and Rock farmer have said thanks

#14 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted November 18, 2015 - 07:51 PM

OK a tip for the people with wood floors on their trailers. Treat the floor with boiled linseed oil every year. Pour it on, brush it out and let it set for awhile to preserve the wood.

KURTEE

• MH81 and wvbuzzmaster have said thanks

#15 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,066 posts

Posted November 18, 2015 - 08:25 PM

A friend of mine has big tex and PJ trailers. 5th wheels and bumpers. He loves them. He has several trailers for use towing equipment between his two farms

Another friend gas a gator made like you described but no side ramps. It has this slick spring assisted ramp lift too. I've towed this trailer a few thousand miles myself and I love it. Hauled tractors side by sides and ATVs with it. I tend to borrow this trailer a lot.
  • Alc and wvbuzzmaster have said thanks