Dad got a little something this year

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Nxt2doc OFFLINE  

• Member No: 66603
  • 622 Thanks
  • 330 posts

Posted November 18, 2015 - 09:56 AM

I am a member of our local Fire Dept. We are a paid on call Fire Dept. ran basically as a volunteer service with the exception of getting a stipend per run and for training. We are fortunate to have a budget that will allow this. That being said our "payroll" is set up so that we make runs and training all year and get one check. And it happens at or last fiscal business meeting on the third Monday in November. This is very nice timing as I'm sure you would agree.

Normally this check goes to make a nice Christmas for everyone. Well this year old Dad is getting in on things. Earlier this summer a local fella saw me outside piddling on the JD 345 with my other toys out in the driveway. He stops and asks me if I would be interested in another tractor. To which I replied "Does a fat baby fart?" A trip by his place a day or two later reveal this JD 110 of 1964 vintage as best as I can tell. It came with a sleeve hitch and a tiller. He named his price and I told him that if it was still around in November I would be by. Well it was and I did.

He went through it front to back as he put it, painted it and put fresh rubber on it(which still has the whiskers on them). His son had gotten into these and he decided he wanted one too. He said the transfer case was leaking at the wheel seals so he parked it. Then came along the grandkids. They where playing around on it steering and shifting while it was not running. Next thing he knows the transfer case appears to be in two gears or something as it is locked up. Figuring I would have to open the transfer case to replace the seals anyway I'm not to concerned about this (hope that faith in not unfounded). It came with the tiller pictured. It appears to be free and with a little appropriately place lubricant should work just fine. All things considered I feel I am all right on this deal as the selling price was $400.00 for the lot. The picture of the tractor is from this summer and the tiller pics are from last night.

Edited by Nxt2doc, November 18, 2015 - 09:58 AM.

• olcowhand, Gtractor, grnspot110 and 12 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,684 Thanks
  • 39,059 posts

Posted November 18, 2015 - 10:46 AM

Very nice looking tractor! Hope it doesn't take much to fix it!

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 Gtractor OFFLINE  

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,403 Thanks
  • 3,815 posts

Posted November 18, 2015 - 10:53 AM

I'd call that karma.  You help others [fireman] they treat you right.

#4 olcowhand OFFLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,254 Thanks
  • 29,702 posts

Posted November 18, 2015 - 11:05 AM

I think you did really good!

#5 Cvans OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,345 Thanks
  • 4,936 posts

Posted November 18, 2015 - 11:07 AM

Your going to love tilling setting down. Sharp looking tractor!

#6 hdg4400 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6945
  • 247 Thanks
  • 319 posts

Posted November 18, 2015 - 11:14 AM

Congratulations on the tractor and tiller. My 1st JD Garden Tractor was a 110 with a deck and snowblower back in the late 70's. I got it at an auction along with an 80 dump cart. I wish I could remember what I paid for it. Eventually I added a tiller like yours, but it didn't have the extension.

Good luck with it.

#7 Nxt2doc OFFLINE  

• Member No: 66603
  • 622 Thanks
  • 330 posts

Posted November 18, 2015 - 11:20 AM

I'm going to need to learn more about this tiller. never messed with one before. Hope it to be fun doing so.

#8 LilysDad OFFLINE  

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,248 Thanks
  • 7,478 posts

Posted November 18, 2015 - 12:54 PM

I see your garden getting a lot bigger next year. :thumbs:  If you hurry you might find a blower before Dec.

#9 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,207 Thanks
  • 2,363 posts

Posted November 18, 2015 - 05:11 PM

Very nice!!!  :thumbs:   :thumbs:   :thumbs:

Just for information sake, the 63-64 110's had three speed transmission & three bolt rear hubs (even though the wheels have five holes).  65 & up have four speed transmissions & five wheel bolts.

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#10 tiretrx OFFLINE  

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 779 Thanks
  • 589 posts

Posted November 18, 2015 - 06:29 PM

Beautiful machine, congrats. Great story. And I'd say you did real well price wise

• Member No: 10038
  • 4,677 Thanks
  • 4,224 posts

Posted November 18, 2015 - 07:25 PM

Very good deal there!

Thank you for your VFD service!

I was a VFD member for 31 years. We used to get $75 per year clothing allowance..Yeah we were getting rich!

Fortunately, they rate now a-days is $75 per year clothing allowance, AND a $5 per run wage.

I was once at a factory fire for 2 days and made $5!

• olcowhand, grnspot110 and jpackard56 have said thanks

#12 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,461 Thanks
  • 2,527 posts

Posted January 25, 2016 - 09:59 PM

Not sure how I missed this post, and I realize it is a couple of months old, but if you need any help with your new found toy, just ask away! We are more than happy to help if we can.

After viewing your pictures above, I can tell you that the year of your tractor is actually a 1965 model. The 1964 110's didn't have the cast front axle, four speed transmission as Lowell pointed out, nor the plastic shifter cover. Looking forward to some updated pictures, and if you ever decide to sell the tiller, give me a shout, as I would be interested.  :thumbs:

• MH81 said thank you