• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • Member No: 70148
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted November 17, 2015 - 05:48 PM

Getting to be a wiz at changing these Briggs plastic starter gears...2nd one in 2 months and the first one took around an hour and a half...this one 20 minutes total.

Better than replacing flywheels but, one would think they would make them just a tad more durable.

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted November 17, 2015 - 05:50 PM

Getting to be a wiz at changing these Briggs plastic starter gears...2nd one in 2 months and the first one took around an hour and a half...this one 20 minutes total.

Better than replacing flywheels but, one would think they would make them just a tad more durable.

My thoughts exactly!

• Phluphy said thank you

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted November 17, 2015 - 05:56 PM

They are pretty simple once you do it a time or two, its not a bad idea and definitely cost effective compared to buying a new ring gear or starter!

• Phluphy said thank you

#4 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,301 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted November 17, 2015 - 06:24 PM

I like to change both the Ring gear and starter gear if there is Any wear what so ever on the ring gear.All it takes is 1 small nick or a bit of wear on the ring gear to mess up the nylon starter gear.

I like to pull the starter apart and check the bushings while I'm at it.If the starter bushings get a bit worn it causes the starter gear to sit shallow in the ring gear.Especially when cranking the engine over.

I think it's $10-15 for a new ring gear or $18-$20 for the kit.Drive out the 4 pins and bolt the new one on.Very simple job.

Replacing Starter bushings can be a pain in the butt BUT it will make your starter and starter gear last a long time.If you can find bushings that fit your particular starter. 

• Alc, boyscout862 and Phluphy have said thanks

#5 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,953 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted November 17, 2015 - 10:29 PM

I have replaced the nylon gears also. Mine are still good after 3 years, I also replaced the brass bushings in the starter. I think this allows the gears to mesh evenly resulting in longer life.

• Alc, EricFromPa, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#6 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted November 18, 2015 - 12:25 AM

I like to change both the Ring gear and starter gear if there is Any wear what so ever on the ring gear.All it takes is 1 small nick or a bit of wear on the ring gear to mess up the nylon starter gear.

I like to pull the starter apart and check the bushings while I'm at it.If the starter bushings get a bit worn it causes the starter gear to sit shallow in the ring gear.Especially when cranking the engine over.

I think it's $10-15 for a new ring gear or $18-$20 for the kit.Drive out the 4 pins and bolt the new one on.Very simple job.

Replacing Starter bushings can be a pain in the butt BUT it will make your starter and starter gear last a long time.If you can find bushings that fit your particular starter. 

Thinking you are right on this idea. Next time it happens, not rushed for time here, I'll take the starter apart to check those bushings. If they are worn I'll just put a new or rebuilt starter on it. Seems odd there is a nearly perfect area on the pinion gear than gets evenly worn, just as it would if it weren't meshing deep enough. Snugged the heck out of the mounting bolts in case I allowed for a bit of play on the last go around.

Ring gear looks sharp on all teeth, i.E., no noticeable wear, square cut shoulders.

Thanks

#7 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted November 18, 2015 - 12:31 AM

I have replaced the nylon gears also. Mine are still good after 3 years, I also replaced the brass bushings in the starter. I think this allows the gears to mesh evenly resulting in longer life.

You must have someone looking after you...I've never had one of these gears, vertical driver or horizontal, last even a full year, but then, in the course of an average day it's probably operated 15-30 times.. Think it's time to sell a tater or two and pick up a new starter.

Back to dragging logs.

Thanks

#8 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,953 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted November 18, 2015 - 08:54 AM

Yes, usage will make a difference, I had to rebuild Hulk's starter after using him and the trailer as a portable work bench while building my shop, funny though, I only had to replace the top bushing, and magnet housing, the gear was still fine.