UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted November 16, 2015 - 12:43 PM

Gunner turned a year old on Halloween. He is the sweetest dog we have ever had. He is, however, dumb as a post. I mean dumb. If he was human he would have to wear a helmet.

dummy.jpg

He is fairly well behaved with one exception - he will not stop running his mouth. Once he starts barking he will not, or can not, stop. I was to the point where I was considering getting rid of him because it was so bad. We couldn't sleep, couldn't have a conversation, couldn't eat meals without him barking like a lunatic.

Well, last night I had enough. We tried everything: spray bottles, spanking, talking softly, yelling..... nothing worked. I finally dragged out the shock collar.

He didn't bark in the house at all. Then we went out on his chain to pee. He started barking. I let him bark a few times. I told him to hush. I hit him on low. It didn't work. I hit him on the second level. Nothing. I went right up to the high setting. There was a strange cacophony to his bark. Then he was silent for a long time. He started barking again. I let him voice his opinion then told him to hush. Then I hit him on high. HE squeaked and then was quiet. IT went on like that for about 30 minutes. Then he would bark three or four times and get quiet. After an hour I took the collar off.

Steph went to the store. When she came home I was expecting him to go ballistic like he always does. He yipped and yelped and barked for about 10 seconds then sat down at the door and wagged his tail all the way up to his ears. No 30 minute bonkers storm.

Last night he would bark once to go out then get quiet. He would bark once then scratch at the door to come in. It was heaven. No going out and barking like a nut. He didn't even chew anything up last night.

I THINK I may have gotten through to him.

At the moment he is outside. He has barked a few times, but that is it. He still barks at the idiot neighbor, but then so do I.

The shock collar is on my desk. He will not get near it.

• olcowhand, MH81, Alc and 10 others have said thanks

#2 tiretrx ONLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 931 Thanks
  • 679 posts

Posted November 16, 2015 - 01:01 PM

Sounds like there could be a happy ending to the story.........I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

#3 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman

The Simplicity collector

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 465 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted November 16, 2015 - 01:11 PM

Gunner turned a year old on Halloween. He is the sweetest dog we have ever had. He is, however, dumb as a post. I mean dumb. If he was human he would have to wear a helmet.

attachicon.gifdummy.jpg

He is fairly well behaved with one exception - he will not stop running his mouth. Once he starts barking he will not, or can not, stop. I was to the point where I was considering getting rid of him because it was so bad. We couldn't sleep, couldn't have a conversation, couldn't eat meals without him barking like a lunatic.

Well, last night I had enough. We tried everything: spray bottles, spanking, talking softly, yelling..... nothing worked. I finally dragged out the shock collar.

He didn't bark in the house at all. Then we went out on his chain to pee. He started barking. I let him bark a few times. I told him to hush. I hit him on low. It didn't work. I hit him on the second level. Nothing. I went right up to the high setting. There was a strange cacophony to his bark. Then he was silent for a long time. He started barking again. I let him voice his opinion then told him to hush. Then I hit him on high. HE squeaked and then was quiet. IT went on like that for about 30 minutes. Then he would bark three or four times and get quiet. After an hour I took the collar off.

Steph went to the store. When she came home I was expecting him to go ballistic like he always does. He yipped and yelped and barked for about 10 seconds then sat down at the door and wagged his tail all the way up to his ears. No 30 minute bonkers storm.

Last night he would bark once to go out then get quiet. He would bark once then scratch at the door to come in. It was heaven. No going out and barking like a nut. He didn't even chew anything up last night.

I THINK I may have gotten through to him.

At the moment he is outside. He has barked a few times, but that is it. He still barks at the idiot neighbor, but then so do I.

The shock collar is on my desk. He will not get near it.

going through that right now. we got a black lab at 6 weeks. She barks constantly and bites  constantly. Now when ever we  let her out she will pee and poo then 5 minutes later she pees in the house. it gets annoying fast :wallbanging:

#4 crittersf1 ONLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,760 posts

Posted November 16, 2015 - 01:30 PM

Shock collars work quite efficiently IF you don't overdo it.

• MH81, boyscout862, UncleWillie and 1 other said thanks

#5 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted November 16, 2015 - 02:16 PM

Shock collars work quite efficiently IF you don't overdo it.

Most of the time. We had one dog that was a Jack Russell mix. He wouldn't behave so I put the collar on him. He started for the property line and I called him and he kept going. Hit him with the shock collar. HE took off like he had rocket boosters and didn't come back for 6 hours.

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,787 Thanks
  • 7,540 posts

Posted November 16, 2015 - 02:22 PM

I think that is a good lesson. Sometimes only pain will modify a bad behavior. It sure worked on my generation. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, November 16, 2015 - 02:23 PM.

• MH81, Alc and oldedeeres have said thanks

#7 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted November 16, 2015 - 02:50 PM

Your dog has a behavioural issue which the bark collar does not address. It is a form of punishment. A dog has the mental capacity of a 2 year old child so if you hit a dog take a good look in the mirror. My dogs have all been fearless guard dogs. They don't know fear because I have never laid a hand on them. A fearful dog is more likely to attack/ bite a unsuspecting visitor and we all know how common law suits are in the US. A animal behavioal expert should be able to determine very quickly the source of yours dogs issues

#8 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted November 16, 2015 - 03:38 PM

I had a Pom/Border collie mix that would not shut up.  He would bark at anything.  I bought one of those anti bark collars that shocks them if they bark.  It worked like a charm.  Took him a few good zaps and he was done.  He found out he could bark once at a medium volume and not get shocked.  That was good enough for me as he rarely risked the medium volume barks anymore.  I was perfectly happy with the results.  After a month we took it off and put a regular collar on him.  He was a whole new dog!

I hated it, I hated hurting him, but it came to the point that he was going to have to leave.  I cried a little on the inside everytime he got shocked, but he learned.

Pain is the greatest teacher.  I know I learned that one myself at a young age.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,293 Thanks
  • 28,625 posts

Posted November 16, 2015 - 04:37 PM

I have a buddy, his wife's dog and he don't see eye to eye.
He refers to it as "The Window Licking, 4 Legged Moron, extraordinaire"
When I asked why he stipulates the 4 legged part, he said "because the two legged one is me for NOT shooting the little effer..."

They have tried positive reinforcement, negative punishment, flat out smack on the fanny, nothing worked.

Idiot even chewed a hole thru the wall while they were gone. Has eaten almost every left shoe.

Other dogs are fine, well behaved dogs. Three of them in the house... Only one causes trouble.

#10 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,221 posts

Posted November 16, 2015 - 05:30 PM

I have a pit lab mix that is just like that, dumb as a stump!!!!!  Not much works on this dog other than a shock collar, I have tried everything but it finally came down to the collar and after about two weeks he was  new dog.  I don't even know where the collar is now, don't need it anymore.  good luck with him.

Pete

#11 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted November 16, 2015 - 05:45 PM

We had a family dog that was a Toy Rat Terrier, and he was an attach dog....Man you should have seen him attach his food!

R.I.P. Boomer :boo_hoo: 

#12 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,488 Thanks
  • 5,015 posts

Posted November 16, 2015 - 07:28 PM

I have a acquaintance who had a dog that was dumber than a box of rocks. They loved that dog but he would respond to nothing.  Let him out to do his thing and he was gone for hours. So they got one of those shock collars that gives a shock when he gets near the edge of the yard. The dog got so shook up after the second shock that when they opened the door to let him out he would run under their bed and do his thing. Wouldn't come out from under the bed as long as he was wearing that collar. 

Mark one up for the dog.  :smilewink:

• oldedeeres said thank you

#13 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted November 22, 2015 - 09:41 PM

A dog can only be as smart as the owner,,,. Jacks and Weimerainers are stubborn dogs to train and take a great deal of patience.  We fostered a Weimerainer ,,,ignorant owners did not have a clue about the dog...we found him a home and he became a champion agility course dog.. Dog obedience classes are not for dogs  to learn but are to teach the owners how to train their dogs. Our standard poodle was abused by previous owners,,,a kennel in Lindsay Ontario..took weeks before he would come to me but eventually he came to trust me and became a fearless and loyal companion. We had to put him down this summer after 8 wonderful years with us

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1234.JPG
  • Picture 011.jpg

Edited by Jazz, November 23, 2015 - 06:51 AM.

• Alc said thank you

#14 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,646 Thanks
  • 7,675 posts

Posted November 23, 2015 - 07:27 AM

I have a buddy, his wife's dog and he don't see eye to eye.
He refers to it as "The Window Licking, 4 Legged Moron, extraordinaire"

Face it, some toy breeds have been selectively breed to be retarded runts.