19 replies to this topic

#16 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted November 16, 2015 - 10:20 PM

I believe they are Ideal brand doors. We bought them from Menards.

Geno

#17 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted November 17, 2015 - 05:37 AM

I desperately need to replace my doors on my attached garage. I honestly don't have any idea how the wood ones on there are still holding together. Nails. Screw. Liquid nails and tape...I guess that's how

What brand are those doors? I was looking at non insulated doors since my attached garage isn't heated. Every door I read about has negative reviews for being flimsy and noisy. I could care less about the noise...

I installed a set of those this summer. The non-insulated are noisy. I think the weight of the insulation helps cut down the noise.

#18 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted November 17, 2015 - 08:39 AM

I installed a set of those this summer. The non-insulated are noisy. I think the weight of the insulation helps cut down the noise.

I don't want to go insulated since none of the walls in the garage are insulated.  Kind of like putting on gloves and a wool cap and wearing a t-shirt and shorts.

The wall between the garage and the house is insulated well since at one time it was an exterior wall before the garage was added sometime in the 70s.

I don't care so much about the noise, but since our bedroom is right beside the garage you can hear the door in there pretty clearly, but I guess its something just to live with.

#19 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted November 17, 2015 - 12:55 PM

I desperately need to replace my doors on my attached garage. I honestly don't have any idea how the wood ones on there are still holding together. Nails. Screw. Liquid nails and tape...I guess that's how

What brand are those doors? I was looking at non insulated doors since my attached garage isn't heated. Every door I read about has negative reviews for being flimsy and noisy. I could care less about the noise...

Back when I was doing home repairs I got a lot of calls for garage doors. There were 4 or 5 calls where people couldn't get out of thier houses because the doors broke. One where it fell on a guys trash cans - he was cheesed. One where a gal could open it but couldn't close it - turned out I had to tighten every screw in the door as they were all loose. Then there was that one. You know the one. The one where the home owner wants to patch and repair instead of replace. After 5 years that door was more Uncle Willie built than contractor built. I replaced all the glass panels with plexiglass. Replaced so many panels it was ridiculous. Had to scab pieces on to repair broken framing. And replaced 3  the 5 cables. He had so much money in repairs he could have replaced them 10 times. I felt sorry for the poor door openers that had to lift doors that were probably triple their original weight.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#20 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted November 17, 2015 - 02:18 PM

Back when I was doing home repairs I got a lot of calls for garage doors. There were 4 or 5 calls where people couldn't get out of thier houses because the doors broke. One where it fell on a guys trash cans - he was cheesed. One where a gal could open it but couldn't close it - turned out I had to tighten every screw in the door as they were all loose. Then there was that one. You know the one. The one where the home owner wants to patch and repair instead of replace. After 5 years that door was more Uncle Willie built than contractor built. I replaced all the glass panels with plexiglass. Replaced so many panels it was ridiculous. Had to scab pieces on to repair broken framing. And replaced 3  the 5 cables. He had so much money in repairs he could have replaced them 10 times. I felt sorry for the poor door openers that had to lift doors that were probably triple their original weight.

That's pretty good.  My doors are probably pretty similar to the last one.  My wife will no longer park in the garage because the doors jam every so often and you have to go out there and jiggle the door awhile pressing the button go up.

I've put off buying doors because of more pressing matters of home repairs and since I am not home every night I rarely park in there.  Right now the only time the door goes up is to push the trash can outside.  The only things in the garage are the off road toys and my tools, work bench, and my Ford Ranger.

Next year is hopefully the year of new siding, shutters, fascia and soffit, and garage doors!  If the tax man is kind to me this year.