Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Allis Chalmers B1 three belt snow thrower running.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts

Posted November 15, 2015 - 04:06 PM

I know that these belt snow throwers aren't the most popular for obvious reasons, but I just had to get this thing up and running to give it a try this winter. engaging the PTO is like sticking your hand in a hornets nest. This snow thrower came with the first Allis B1 garden tractor that I picked up locally. That tractor is what got me interested in the old Allis/Simplicity tractors. While that tractor is sitting disassembled, I came across a second B1 last winter. I completely cleaned up the tractor and freshened up the engine. With winter upon us, I figured that I would get the old snow thrower attachment out and go over it. I cleaned all of the old grease out of the bearings and scrubbed everything down. I installed a new PTO pulley bearing, changed out one of the belts, greased, oiled, and adjusted everything. It seems to run pretty smooth, but I'm sure I'll go through some belts over the winter. I don't plan on using it much, since I mostly just plow the place with the Allis Big 10. Here's a short video of the thrower.

• Bolens 1000, KennyP, Traill95 and 5 others have said thanks

#2 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts

Posted November 15, 2015 - 04:14 PM

Here is the tractor that the snow thrower came from...the one that got me hooked on these tractors, HA!

Attached Thumbnails

• post-52970-0-00759900-1394842536.jpg

• Alc, KennyP, Traill95 and 1 other said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,367 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted November 15, 2015 - 04:20 PM

Have fun with it this winter!

• classic said thank you

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted November 15, 2015 - 05:17 PM

Definitely some engineering behind that!

Always love seeing the early stuff and how they designed it, Did they really have you get off the machine to turn it on and off?

Were they notorious for eating belts? If you get kevlar ones they should last you years....

#5 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts

Posted November 15, 2015 - 05:31 PM

Yup, you have to get off of the tractor to engage and disengage the PTO. If a stick or rock stop the auger, you would have to shut the tractor off to keep the belts from burning up. I think most people try to get to the PTO instead. It's sort of like trying to drive a car with the brake pedal in the trunk. This model only lasted a few years, then design changes came along.
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you

#6 thirdjoker OFFLINE  

thirdjoker
  • Member No: 60180
  • 73 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted November 15, 2015 - 09:35 PM

I have absolutely no use for one here in North Carolina, but I would love to have one......... I'm facanated by the engineering and design of this older equipment.

• classic said thank you

#7 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts

Posted November 15, 2015 - 11:02 PM

It is interesting to look over this old equipment and to figure out why changes were made In Later designs. There are quite a few different adjustments that need to be made to make this snow thrower function as it should. There are no idler or tension pulleys to take up slack or keep tension on the belts. You have to adjust everything by turning nuts on threaded rods. The coil springs on the threaded rods allow the belt tension to vary slightly. The bearings on the pulley shafts need to be in great shape, or I'm sure the belts would not stay on.
  • KennyP said thank you

#8 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted November 18, 2015 - 07:41 PM

Thanks for this! While the blower isnt beloved like its later model kin, I think units like yours here will truly be a collectible item in the future. Many are rusting away or being scrapped, and even collectors dont much care...could become a scarce specimen some day! ESPECIALLY that well preserved.

It is my understanding this first riding tractor blower was simply an adaptation of the walk behind blower. They reinvented the wheel later on when their riding tractor market share was absolutely soaring.

That redesign is still seen today in the current Simplicity single stage blower available with brand new machines. So...they werent too far off with your first version

;-)

Edited by Talntedmrgreen, November 18, 2015 - 07:44 PM.

• classic said thank you

#9 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,805 Thanks
  • 2,216 posts

Posted November 18, 2015 - 09:39 PM

Looks good on there !!!  Hopefully you wont need it this winter.  I am going thru my blower for the b-10 now to get ready for winter, I figure if I get it all ready and waiting the it wont snow at all :wave: and I am ok with that.

Pete

• classic said thank you

#10 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts

Posted November 18, 2015 - 10:52 PM

I just want to give it a try and see how it works. It's not something that I plan on using since I would like to keep it in good shape. I'm actually looking for a Haban blower for my Sears SS/18, since it runs real well. The snow has been deep at times the past few years, and I had all I could do to move it with the Allis Big Ten. I'm working on the transmission for a '56 Power King that I picked up a while back, and I plan on plowing snow and hauling wood with it. The transmission is in good shape and just needs new bearings.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2015-02-02 18.53.26.jpg
  • 20151118_220703-1.jpg
  • 20151118_220728-1.jpg
  • 20151118_220739-1.jpg

#11 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 769 Thanks
  • 509 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 10:32 AM

You will be surprised how well those belts stay on and how long they will last if you get good quality ones. I was looking for a blower like that for some time for my simplicity 3212 but ended up getting the next gen and using an electric pto off the front. because they are hard to come by and most were not in a condition that I would like. 

That blower looks in great shape and its pretty awesome to look at while its operating.

• classic said thank you