16 replies to this topic

#1 EarlJ OFFLINE  

EarlJ
  • Member No: 77695
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted November 15, 2015 - 02:55 PM

Hey guys,

I'm new to this site but I have a few questions regarding my 1855a. First I got the tractor with cat-0, tiller and deck, all the attachments are in good repair. I got the tractor for a song, I paid just under $200 for all of it, and the guy loaded it on my trailer. The main issue is the previous owner tore apart the onan and left it outside so all the steel parts are badly rusted. Rather than rebuild the onan, I picked up a kohler magnum 18 to drop in there. So heres where I am at. I'm looking at putting the kohler in but nothing from the onan will bolt up easily. So My question, has anyone else made this swap? If so do you have any pointers? I'd love to get it running before spring so I can use the tiller and mower deck. Im not all that familiar with snapper or mf tractors, Im an IH cub guy, I think this big machine will be a great addition to my stable. Also, Im wanting to spray a fresh coat of red on it, does anyone have the paint code, I also need decals and a seat and a few other parts if anyone has a tractor they are parting out. Thanks in advance..

#2 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted November 15, 2015 - 03:43 PM

:welcometogttalk:   I haven't done much with the Snappers so I can't really answer your questions, but I'm sure some of the Snapper guys will be along before long that can.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 943 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted November 15, 2015 - 04:48 PM

What won't bolt up do you have pics of what your trying to attach and where. You can make anything fit.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#4 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,510 Thanks
  • 3,387 posts

Posted November 15, 2015 - 04:54 PM

I thought that would be a simple swap.

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted November 15, 2015 - 05:04 PM

Welcome to GTT. Check out our Manuals Section for 3 free downloads per day. That is a great tractor, I hope that you can get it together. Good Luck, Rick

#6 EarlJ OFFLINE  

EarlJ
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted November 15, 2015 - 08:53 PM

What won't bolt up do you have pics of what your trying to attach and where. You can make anything fit.

I'm trying to figure out how to mount the pto clutch as well as the driveshaft. The kohler was a rear facing engine off a cub cadet and I am thinking the onan is the opposite but I'm not sure since the motor was in a box completely disassembled.

#7 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 943 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted November 15, 2015 - 09:39 PM

Some of th onan, engines sit side ways. Depends what model onan. You could make a mount for the drive shaft if you had to.

#8 adolphsson09 ONLINE  

adolphsson09
  • Member No: 9844
  • 249 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted November 15, 2015 - 10:08 PM

Are all the parts there for the Onan? I would take the time this fall and winter and put it back together.  There are parts that can be found rather inexpensive for these engines The B48m correct? There is a guy named Boomer Robert Kummer up in Minnesota who probably is one of the leading experts with the Onan engines who can get you parts and answer just about any question you have He is a super nice guy and if you wanted I know he rebuilds these engines you could ship it to him and he would send it back Doing this would make the tractor original and everything bolts up correctly I do have some parts for these just not sure if I would have what you are looking for. If you want I can get you his phone number

#9 EarlJ OFFLINE  

EarlJ
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted November 15, 2015 - 10:17 PM

Some of th onan, engines sit side ways. Depends what model onan. You could make a mount for the drive shaft if you had to.

That is what I have planned to do. I have a buddy with a machine shop that I'm going to have fabricate a custom mount

Are all the parts there for the Onan? I would take the time this fall and winter and put it back together.  There are parts that can be found rather inexpensive for these engines The B48m correct? There is a guy named Boomer Robert Kummer up in Minnesota who probably is one of the leading experts with the Onan engines who can get you parts and answer just about any question you have He is a super nice guy and if you wanted I know he rebuilds these engines you could ship it to him and he would send it back Doing this would make the tractor original and everything bolts up correctly I do have some parts for these just not sure if I would have what you are looking for. If you want I can get you his phone number

I have no idea if all the parts are there, I know the crank is shot from rust as are many of the steel parts. I'll spend way more than what the whole tractor is worth.

#10 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • 3,510 Thanks
  • 3,387 posts

Posted November 15, 2015 - 10:34 PM

Onans in the 1855, regardless of label, sit longitudinally.

#11 dropped82 OFFLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted November 15, 2015 - 10:54 PM

You'd still be money ahead if you were to buy an Onan short block (boomer has some ready for shipment). That tiller alone can bring lots more than what you paid. Once you work an Onan, you forget about the other haha. I was at a point like you with my Deere 420 and chose to stay Onan. I'm glad I did. Great buy btw. You got a beast if a machine there.

Eric

Edited by dropped82, November 15, 2015 - 10:55 PM.

#12 adolphsson09 ONLINE  

adolphsson09
  • 249 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted November 15, 2015 - 11:43 PM

Can you put up some pics of the engine  tractor  and tiller You need to know we are itching to see them

#13 adolphsson09 ONLINE  

adolphsson09
  • 249 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted November 15, 2015 - 11:51 PM

Before you go and pump a lot of time money and effort on this Kohler you should figure out what you need to rebuild the onan Post what you need and see if someone here can help you out In the end you will be a lot happier Anyhow there are service and parts manuals that are available also Personally I wouldn't mess with the kohler

#14 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • 3,510 Thanks
  • 3,387 posts

Posted November 16, 2015 - 09:33 AM

Nothing like the sound of an Onan twin.

#15 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted November 19, 2015 - 12:00 AM

Loved my Snapper/onan.  I sold her, miss her alot.  Lots of torque, was fun to use.  Enjoy her, these old GTs are fun, when they run.

Edited by FrozenInTime, November 19, 2015 - 12:01 AM.

• limebuzz said thank you