13 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,169 Thanks
  • 4,515 posts

Posted November 15, 2015 - 12:23 PM

As I burn shelled corn in by pellet/corn stove I have been getting shelled corn where ever I can, short of buying it at an elevator by the bag.  My neighbor is going to get into his wet spots one of these days and I will get a wagon load from him.  In the mean time my other neighbor has a place right across the road that was to wet to get the combine through and said if I wanted it I could have it.  Friday I picked two yard carts full and ran them through the hand corn sheller.  Saturday we had the soon to be 5 yo granddaughter here and she wanted to help.  Never being one to turn down help, we went after getting some more corn picked and shelled.  Ended up with a total of 12 - 5 gal pails full of shelled corn so far.  About another good cart full out there and will get it later.  Enough work for a couple days.  How many 5 yo city girls do you find that know how to pick ear corn by hand and that it goes into the sheller point first?  It was still very wet with water standing between the rows.  Almost got stuck pulling the cart load of corn out.  Ag tires but need them full of fluid.

Help w Corn-8.JPG    Help w Corn-12.JPG    Help w Corn-10.JPG    Help w Corn-1.JPG   Help w Corn-2.JPG   Help w Corn-4.JPG   Help w Corn-7.JPG

• olcowhand, daytime dave, Gtractor and 10 others have said thanks

#2 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,634 Thanks
  • 3,923 posts

Posted November 15, 2015 - 01:07 PM

Looks like fun Rog!  Thanks for the pictures.

The only thing better than free heat and free toilet paper is quality time with the granddaughter.  :thumbs:

Edited by Gtractor, November 15, 2015 - 01:08 PM.

• boyscout862, oldedeeres and chieffan have said thanks

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,169 Thanks
  • 4,515 posts

Posted November 15, 2015 - 01:17 PM

Thanks Kris.  It was fun and tired us both out.  I like a Button Weed leaf better. Not near as rough but can be a smear problem! HA!   Use the cobs to start the fireplace later on.

• Gtractor and grnspot110 have said thanks

#4 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 15, 2015 - 02:30 PM

That is great! Not a lot of grown men my age, had the experience Of hand picking and shelling corn. I have.
The little ones given the chance like to help. My great granddaughter 2 1/2 loves to help in the garden.
Her brother 1 1/2 gets mad if I take out the trash and not let him help.
That is quality time in my opinion.
  • chieffan said thank you

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,525 Thanks
  • 39,746 posts

Posted November 15, 2015 - 02:35 PM

Looks like you got a little fun in there to, Grandpa!

#6 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,123 Thanks
  • 3,208 posts

Posted November 15, 2015 - 02:59 PM

Nice to get work done and have fun doing it and your grandchild having fun too. So, me not ever burning corn, I am wondering, do you have to let it dry before burning the corn. And you just burn the kernels ? There are pellet stoves in my area, would they burn corn ? Or are they a special type of stove to burn pellets and corn. Just woundering, Noel.
  • grnspot110 and chieffan have said thanks

#7 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,169 Thanks
  • 4,515 posts

Posted November 15, 2015 - 03:43 PM

There are several stoves that will burn one specific type of fuel.  Majority are for corn and wood pellets.  The other type of stove is the multi fuel stove.  They are a little more expensive but you have a better choice of fuel.  They have a lot more variables such as feed rate, exhaust fan speed, etc.  Mine is a multi fuel stove that will burn shelled corn, wood pellets, cherry pits, and some other fuels I don't recall right off.  The corn has to be down to 15% moisture, 14 is better.  More moisture than that it won't burn.  Wood pellets have to be kept dry also.  If they start drawing moisture they start to swell and fall apart.  This time of year any corn that is standing yet will be down to under 14 % moisture with no problem.  The corn we shelled went straight into the large trash container in the basement.  Wood pellets will be stored there also as soon as I get help to get them down there.  The stove in the basement is heating the whole house (24 X 52 with full basement), keeping it between the 62 to 66° and burning about 3 pails a day at $1.45 each.  Corn price makes that a little higher than last year but what hasn't gone up?  Had the propane tank fill in Sept of 14 and still have 40% left.  That will probably run till February or later.

• Gtractor, grnspot110, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#8 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,244 Thanks
  • 5,083 posts

Posted November 15, 2015 - 05:48 PM

I seen a stove the other day that was wood corn cherry pits walnut hulls and something else.

I use a pellet stove a lot but its straight wood pellets I believe

If you want to see a really cool "pellet" stove check out the anthracite coal pellet stove. They burn hot and are pretty darn efficient. A friend of mine has one in his finished basement. He cranks it up and leaves his basement door open. Heats his whole house with minimal help from his propane furnace

Edited by toomanytoys84, November 15, 2015 - 06:22 PM.

• propane1 and chieffan have said thanks

#9 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • 6,123 Thanks
  • 3,208 posts

Posted November 15, 2015 - 06:19 PM

Thanks for the info. It's interesting to see what else is available to burn and heat your house and how it works. I burn all propane. Price not bad now, but two years ago it went to $1.20 per litre, .55 cents at the moment. As you say, what hasn't gone up. Would be nice to have a stable source for heat.

I burn wood in my garage. Not allowed to burn wood in house. My other/better 1/2 is in the insurance business. !!!!!!

#10 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,169 Thanks
  • 4,515 posts

Posted November 15, 2015 - 06:20 PM

What do the pellets cost out your way?  I bought mine on a pre-season order and picked them up on a Wed when I get 5% discount and they cost me $3.90 a 40 lb bag.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#11 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,244 Thanks
  • 5,083 posts

Posted November 15, 2015 - 06:23 PM

I bought 10 40lb bags at the local farm store for 39.12 with tax.

Not sure the brand. Just hardwood pellets

#12 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,169 Thanks
  • 4,515 posts

Posted November 15, 2015 - 08:47 PM

Same as they are here they way I bought them.  Regular price is $4.99 and they come out of Arkansas.  They are good hardwood, low ash wood pellets.  I screen all my fuel through a 1/4" hardware cloth.  Have a box with the screen at an angle so the screenings drop down into a catch pail the good goes into another pail.  Lot of people don't screen either, or just dump the bag of wood pellets into the stove.  Have to clean the hopper out a lot more often that way.  My instructions recommend the fuel be screened and stove cleaned ever third day.  A friend has the same stove as mine and they don't screen anything and clean about once a week.  I screen and clean ever 3 days of burning.  About the same size and year home and they run one heat setting higher and uses 20% more fuel than I do.  We both have open stair ways from the basement up.  I think it is mostly due to keeping the fuel and stove clean.

• Gtractor and propane1 have said thanks

#13 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,244 Thanks
  • 5,083 posts

Posted November 15, 2015 - 09:23 PM

What do you screen out the dust?

I just dump mine in the hopper. Never had an issue. I only burn mine when I'm in the cabin and its below freezing. If it's not below 30 I just use an electric heater.

It may burn 10 hours a night. 4 days a week. I usually only burn 8 bags a season.

Once a week I empty the ash pan and its usually on a third full. Before lighting it I take the pellet tray out and beat it off the side of the building go knock the stuck on stuff off it.

Do you use any type of starter? I just throw some pellets in the tray and lay the propane torch down so its aiming into the pellets and let them burn like that for 5 minutes, take the torch out, shut the door and hit the start button. 9 times out of 10 she takes right off.

I seen some gel starter fluid and some other trinkets sometimes if I'm lazy I use a little chunk of a fire starter.

#14 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • 6,123 Thanks
  • 3,208 posts

Posted November 15, 2015 - 10:10 PM

It's about $6.00 for the same bag here. Canadian money. I know people that burn pellets, they like it. About a bag a day seems to be the normal burning. When you clean the stove, how long do you have to wait for it to cool to clean it. ? And how long to heat back up. ? Noel