27 replies to this topic

#16 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted December 16, 2015 - 09:14 PM

yeah the one I have is a Tecumseh 2 cycle, not sure of the model.

The latest Snapper I picked up has a 4 HP Tec two stroke on it.  Curious to hear more about yours.

• dodge trucker said thank you

#17 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted December 16, 2015 - 10:32 PM

yeah like anything else, the older Tecumseh 2 cycles were pretty good engines vs the newer ones.... less breakdowns, lasted longer back then.

#18 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 987 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 08:53 PM

Flymo is owned by husqvarna, a sub of Electrolux I think in Sweden still made today but mostly electric. Just looked them up real neat machine!

#19 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted December 22, 2015 - 06:41 AM

seems everything not owned by husquvarna these days, is owned by MTD...

#20 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 859 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted December 25, 2015 - 12:37 PM

I have one hanging on the wall of the pole barn. It belonged to my father in law and he mowed his ditch bank with it for many years. I saw it once in use but the engine wasn't working well carb problem. Dad got a rebuild kit some place and installed it and he could never get it started after that. He gave it to me to play with and I could get it going if I misted 2 stroke mix thru the air cleaner opening. I should get a new carb kit and do it my self and see if I can figure out what is wrong with it.

:D   Al

#21 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted December 25, 2015 - 01:22 PM

I have not done anything with mine yet, I just wish I'd bought em both when I had the chance, I went back the next weekend like I told the guy I would, and someone else got that 2nd one....

I think these would have been awesome 30 years ago when I worked at the auction house... I hated mowing those ditches, corner lot , so they were long and STEEP; I had to do them up n down 20" at a time I'm surprised I didn't have elbow/arm troubles years before I did just from doing that.... being 2 cycle no lube worries for the engine at steep angles and no wheels means much easier to maneuver the unit itself....

#22 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,391 Thanks
  • 1,526 posts

Posted December 25, 2015 - 07:53 PM

seems everything not owned by husquvarna these days, is owned by MTD...

Briggs and Stratton owns several, Ferris, Snapper, and several others.  They have a plant in Munnsville, NY, about 15-20minutes from me, on NY46, I know several people that work or used to work there.  They also have a big warehouse/distro. center in Sherill, NY.

#23 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 859 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted December 26, 2015 - 06:14 AM

I mow my mother in laws ditch now that dad has passed. I wear base ball cleats to keep traction and fill the engine up a bit over full on a MTD self propelled mower that wants to run side ways since the rear doesn't drive.

I keep looking at those AWD Husky's and wondering how they would do.

:D   Al

#24 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted January 03, 2016 - 06:09 PM

well yesterday I tried to start it for the 1st time since I brought it home, it still has fuel in it from the PO (have no idea how old)  the po had said they wouldn't start, that they'dneed carb work from sitting, which I kinda expected.

About 8 pulls and it started!   I was quite surprised. the only things I see for sure so far that it needs is a new blade, a new air filter element that isn't falling apart (foam) and the busted kill wire fixed.

• Trav1s said thank you

#25 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,162 Thanks
  • 916 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 06:11 PM

Over in the UK, Flymos were very popular in the 70s and 80s. There was a lot of rivalry between Flymo and Qualcast and one of the sales slogans by Flymo was "A less lot Bovver with a Hovver!" as the mower would float above the ground like a hovercraft. They were usually 2 strokes and fairly reliable. Electric ones were particularly light and often used on small domestic lawns. However, stringent EU regulations on reducing the use of 2 stroke petrol engines meant that the newer ones were 4 stroke which were heavier and unwieldy to use. To adjust the height, you put spacers on the blade boss.

image.jpeg
  • tractorman604, jpackard56 and dodge trucker have said thanks

#26 tractorman604 OFFLINE  

tractorman604
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 683
  • 269 Thanks
  • 694 posts

Posted January 25, 2016 - 05:36 PM

I worked at a institution in 1982 to 1987 and the hill we had to cut was way to steep to cut with a lawnboy and cleats.I found a flymow shoved up in the rafters of the barn and asked the boss what it was, he said it was some piece of crap to cut hills with. I took it down and was the only one that would use it...I loved it . When I left that job I went back to see if I could buy it, but since nobody else wanted to use it they took it to the scrap man. what a shame!

• dodge trucker and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#27 old coot ONLINE  

old coot
  • Member No: 54079
  • 45 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted March 08, 2016 - 07:30 AM

i been seeing a few come up on the local craigs list recently ...all I know about them is a fellow who used to sell them way back when  told me they can be dangerous to use , I don't know  seems they couldn't be any worse than a standard mower...you have to watch what your doing...being retired now money isn't easy to come by  or I might pick one up to mess around with

• Alc said thank you

#28 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • Member No: 33353
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted April 20, 2016 - 09:52 AM

I've had several over the years. All mine were Tecumseh 2 cycle. The throttle had a setting that was supposed to be constant and the cutting height was adjusted by spacers/washers between the end of the crankshaft and the blade. Extra washers were stored
between the blade and the bolt ( below the blade).
  • Alc said thank you