That's great to hear Daniel.congrats.:yelclap:

#63 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted June 07, 2010 - 08:38 PM

Good news Daniel... keep up the good work!

#64 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted June 07, 2010 - 09:38 PM

Congrats to you Daniel:yelclap::yelclap::yelclap: you will have to post a picture of the new you, we won't recognize you any more!

#65 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 07, 2010 - 09:40 PM

Congrats to you Daniel:yelclap::yelclap::yelclap: you will have to post a picture of the new you, we won't recognize you any more!

I said I lost weight...not the ugly! :bigrofl:

#66 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted June 07, 2010 - 10:50 PM

I just reviewed this entire thread. On the 16th of this month, I will turn 66. About 3years ago, I knew that I was Type 2 diabetic before my doctor told me so. I was thirsty all the time and urinating way more than usual. In fact, it seemed as though I would drink a quart of water, wait 5 minutes and then piss it all out. A few minutes of Googling confirmed what I already suspected. I'm six foot tall and at the time I weighed around 245. I loved my soft drinks. Coke, Pepsi, 7 UP, Barq's or Hire's Root Beer and Orange Crush. I could go and buy some Chinese BBQ lunch consisting of steamed white rice and BBQ pork only to wash it all down with a 2 litre bottle of pop.

Then a couple of years ago, I went to England for 3 weeks. When I returned, I was 14 lbs heavier and pushing 260. My doctor was pissed and was threatening to take away my pills and make me go on insulin injections. For me, that was my wake-up call. There was no way that I wanted to start sticking needles into myself on a daily basis. I realized that I couldn't do this all by myself and began talking to people and looking around at all the so-called "diet gurus" that are out there. Most of them are stupid methods that are all about making the companies rich then they are about truly helping people with their problems. The ones that sold you products were the worst.

After considerable research, I ended up at the one place that has been around the longest and that's Weight Watchers. I go to the weekly meetings at 9:30 AM every Thursday to weigh in and then stay for the one hour lecture between 10 and 11. I began January 28th and weighed in at 259.8 lbs. Last week, I weighed in at 247.2 for a total drop of 12.6 lbs. It is coming off slowly but it is coming off. When I got married at age 22, I weighed less than 170 and could eat anything I wanted to and as much as I wanted. By age 30, I was up around 200 lbs and over the years, the number kept climbing.

What matters most to me is that I now feel in control. WW has taught me things about the foods I like to eat that I never knew before. To me, that's the trick I needed to lose weight. Knowing in advance what I am putting in my mouth let's me decide how much of that I can eat. I'm not locked into some stupid diet that compels me to eat only certain foods every single day. I eat foods that I always ate before but now I practice portion control and watch how I prepare my food. For instance, I will cook a whole chicken but when it's done, I will remove all the skin and toss it. I hate having to do that because I love crispy chicken or turkey skin but it's a small price to pay to lose pounds. I no longer consume any of the soft drinks I mentioned. Instead, I drink either water or soda water with a shot of lemon or lime juice. The soda water gives me the feeling of drinking pop but without any sugars or calories.

I intend to get my weight down to 200 lbs max and if I can increase my muscle mass while doing so, I think I can convince my doctor that I don't need to get down to 180 where he'd like me to be. According to my doctor, once you are diabetic you are always a diabetic and all that changes is the meds you are taking. It is possible to get to the point where your meds are eliminated but in order to stay med-free, you have to control your weight and keep it the same all the time. If you don't, then your glucose levels in your bloodstream will rise again and the symptoms will return.

As many people who have struggled with their weight will tell you, "diets" don't work. The only thing that does work is to retrain yourself on how you eat and then stick with it. You develop a better lifestyle for yourself and that's how you put a stop to the yo-yo affect that happens with these other diet programs such as Jenny Craig, Herbal Magic, South Beach, Dr Bernstein and that one that gets you to pig out on fatty foods. None of those are sustainable. Sooner or later you will go off those programs and when you do, you will gain all your weight back plus some more.

I admire your commitment Dan and applaud your weight loss but I need to tell you that this will now be a life-long task for you. Your scale has to become your best friend. I check my weight every single day at the same time after performing the exact same bodily functions. When I see my weight move up a pound or so, then I try even harder to take that pound back off plus a bit more but without starving myself and ending up feeling hungry.

I'm not in a rush. If I can get down to around the 200 pound mark by the end of this year, then that's an acceptable goal for me. After all, it took me over 40 years to put this weight on so taking a year or so to remove it safely is just fine with me.

#67 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted June 08, 2010 - 05:18 AM

Very informative post hydriv,

sounds like you are making steady progress. I'm shure if you keep at it you will reach your Goal. :thumbs:

#68 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted June 08, 2010 - 05:30 AM

I know you can do it hydriv.

#69 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 08, 2010 - 09:19 AM

The only major change I've made is my chocolate. Still have a little, but nowhere near what I used to eat. I eat almost the same otherwise, except try to limit portion size, plus I look at the calorie & fat content before buying stuff now. If it's high, then it stays in the store most of the time. What I buy that is high, I just eat a little instead of a plate full. Yep, it's with me for life, but I believe I can control it. I've already improved my health dramatically, but wish I could find relief now for my feet. Arthritis has really flared in my feet lately. Always something!

#70 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted June 08, 2010 - 04:51 PM

If you speak with your doctor, he will tell that foot problems and diabetes go hand in hand. In fact, the problem can become so severe that they begin chopping off parts of your feet so it isn't something to take lightly.

I'm surprised that your doctor hasn't ordered you to obtain a monitor and strips so you can see where your glucose level is on a daily basis. Keeping it below 7 at all times is important and if you checked your level about 2 hours after consuming chocolate, then you'd have a better idea whether your system can tolerate even that much sugar. The older you get, the less tolerant your system is going to be of high levels of sugar so what you can get away with now may not be possible ten years down the road.

#71 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 08, 2010 - 05:05 PM

Know all about all that & would never take it lightly. A good friend & neighbor lost one foot, then another, leg, & so on, until all he had left was one arm...nothing else. He didn't live long after he lost his arm.
I've had foot problems long before glucose levels elevated. I have arthritis & tendonitis, primarily in my hands & feet. Plan to buy a monitor & strips soon, just to see exactly what is happening with my glucose. Ever since starting to eat smarter, I've not once had my glucose level drop low on me. Before, 3 or 4 times a week, I would have it drop so low around 4 in the afternoon, that my legs would feel like rubber, hands tremble, & NO energy at all. Barely enough to walk to the house. All that is history.

#72 DGS345 OFFLINE  

DGS345

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 513
  • 16 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted June 08, 2010 - 08:30 PM

Well glad you are doing better I wish the best for you. I just this year started to take a little better care of my health.

#73 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 30, 2010 - 07:06 PM

WooHoo! Weighed before I showered tonight...below 205 now! I started at 233, so a 28+lb drop.

#74 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted July 30, 2010 - 07:23 PM

Way to go Daniel! :bounce: :dancingbanana:

#75 don wyatt OFFLINE  

don wyatt

• Member No: 580
  • 0 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted July 30, 2010 - 07:59 PM

Way to go Dan. After reading all this I think I need to get started doing the same. Working hard every day isn't doing it. I'm aware of the arthritis thing also. Last year my hands and fingers were so bad I could hardly even turn a nut when working on my JD. I think some of it might have been the meds the doc had me on. I quit taking most of them and my arthritis is much less painful. I can live with this. But, I need to loose a bunch of weight. My sweetie took a photo of me on my JD 185 yesterday when I was spraying the pasture. I sure fill out the tractor seat. You guys make me think I should start loosing soon. Thanks Don