• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 16, 2010 - 02:38 PM

Well guys, my chocolate addiction has come to an abrupt end. Went to doc for blood test checkup & I AM a diabetic now. I knew things were changing lately, but was hoping just one of those things. So to avoid an early demise I am dropping Hershey Corporation cold turkey. Found out this morning so immediately dropped extra sugars/fats off my diet. Already hitting me this afternoon. Been putting metal on side of our new hay shed & my drill battery & my personal battery ran flat at the same time. Weak as a kitten. These first several days are likely to be rough adjusting, but I'm gonna make it through. I've been gaining weight lately too, so it's gotta come off. Not gonna be fun, but I WILL get it done never the less. It's a witch getting older! BUT better than being dead!

#2 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted March 16, 2010 - 03:14 PM

Hope everything goes well for you. I am going to do the same thing. I don't know if I'm diabetic (hope not). About 5 years ago, I lost 75 pounds. Then 3 years ago, I lost my job, and have been putting the pounds back on. I'm not as big as I used to be, but the sweets and fats have got to go! Bye Bye Chocolate :mecry:

#3 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted March 16, 2010 - 03:39 PM

Sorry to hear of you condition. Several years ago when my Grandfather retired from farming he put on a lot of weight and became diabetic. Once he learned he was a diabetic he changed his diet and dropped the weight. After that he was fine and didn't need any medication, just a good diet. We just celebrated his and my Grandmother's 65th wedding anniversary last weekend. I'm sure you will adjust just fine.

#4 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted March 16, 2010 - 04:17 PM

I hear you we all age and change a bit as we get older, I'm 51 and don't have the stamina I use-to.

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 16, 2010 - 05:17 PM

I hear you we all age and change a bit as we get older, I'm 51 and don't have the stamina I use-to.

We're the same age! I'll be 52 in October. Just took a walk & man am I beat! Gonna do my best to walk at least a mile every evening, more when I have more energy. Farming most days leaves me slapped out, but hoping as I lose this weight that changes & I have more energy. I want to lose 40lb as I'm at 233 right now. I take cholesterol meds that also make me tired feeling, so my new diet regime should eventually wean me off those pills too.
I knew the clock was ticking, but tried to hide my head in the sand, but no more. Gonna take care of myself better.

#6 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted March 16, 2010 - 05:44 PM

Cheer up man, stay away from the junk food try to eat healthy, stay active bit of exercise (go for walks) a year from now you'll be surprised, I know from friends and my self.

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 16, 2010 - 05:54 PM

Cheer up man, stay away from the junk food try to eat healthy, stay active bit of exercise (go for walks) a year from now you'll be surprised, I know from friends and my self.

Oh, I'm not down at all. Takes a lot more than this to drag me down. More or less just disappointment that I allowed it to go this far. I have to go back for more test in about 2 to 3 weeks, so plan to drop 5lbs by then.

#8 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted March 16, 2010 - 06:14 PM

Good luck on the lifestyle change

Maybe, we should all do this together.....like weight watchers.......

I need to lose 20-30.....Just got back from my vacation and am up to 257, heaviest I have ever been......Those buffets at the hotels did me no good..........I gotta cut back on the junk too.......

#9 Guest_hooligan_*

Guest_hooligan_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 16, 2010 - 07:00 PM

Were all pulling for you, and I for one will be, rooting for you to get back in ship shape. I"ll be 54 in October and while I eat a lot of chocolate, I haven't been in this good of shape in 30 years. I quit smoking and drinking, I was at 245, liver was shot, and the docs didn't give me much of a chance. I work out everyday, I'm down to 195, and I can whoop about anything that gets in my way, feels damn good to get back in shape, you'll be rewarded ten fold, and the rest of the family will too, by having you around longer

#10 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted March 16, 2010 - 08:47 PM

Hope everything goes well for you Daniel.
I am not a chocolate eater, and never have been one. I'm just a Heavy coffee drinker LOL.
As long as you stay positive and change your diet/Eating habbits things should turn around.

#11 mjodrey ONLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 17, 2010 - 04:46 AM

Sorry to hear about that Daniel. I have a friend who found out last fall that he was diabetic,and he has adjusted very well.

#12 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 17, 2010 - 05:01 AM

Sorry to hear buddy but I know you will overcome all of it. The sugar addiction will be hard to beat and you will be tired for a little while but before you know it you will have more energy then what you ever had before eating all that sugar. I wish you the best.

#13 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted March 17, 2010 - 06:08 PM

Getting older is a some beach thats for sure.Add in some bad and serious injury's over the years having them to contend with as well as age sure can get a body to feeling pretty low at times.We all just have to put on our happy faces and do the best that we can.It'll take a bit of getting adjusted to but once you get to that point it'll be a daily part of your life. I know.Just about was looking at the underside of the grass 16 yrs ago and had to do lots of adjusting I'am still here and enjoying life to the best of my ability and as you can see love playing with the tractors.Larry

Edited by massey driver, March 17, 2010 - 07:42 PM.

#14 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted March 17, 2010 - 09:01 PM

Sorry to hear of your problem but I know you can work through it. Once your system gets a chance to adjust I think you will feel better. Listen to your Doc and do the best you can. I know it is hard to work in exercise with all the time farming takes but you will feel better for it. It's hell to get old isn'it but it does certainly beat the alternative! We are at that stage in life when sometimes priorities get changed a bit. Take care of yourself Dan, we need you around to make your nice looking tractors for all of us to look at.
I finished my cardiac rehab last week and vowed to keep upon the exercise. I have been walking at least every other night. I made it 3.7 miles tonight in 58 minutes and I feel great. 12 weeks ago after surgery I could only do 20 minutes on a treadmill only going 2 miles an hour.

#15 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 18, 2010 - 07:17 PM

You guys will find this hard to believe, as well as I, BUT after doc visit Tuesday, I weighed after supper just before jumping in the shower... 233lb. Just 2 days after dumping all the junk, tonight I weighed before showering & I weigh 228! 5lb loss in just 2 days!!!!! I have a doctor type balance beam scale that is extremely accurate too.
I did some figuring on caloric intake, and many many days I had been taking in 2,000 calories JUST IN JUNK!!! Then my meals on top of that. I was out of control, but no more. I'm already feeling better too, so onward & upward!