• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#16 limebuzz OFFLINE  

limebuzz

• Member No: 795
  • 861 Thanks
  • 876 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 09:43 PM

Nice pictures, the 10 has the fancy chrome muffler shield. My 12 had that until I put a stack on it. My muffler was bad and had to replace it. Still like the chrome shield look thou. Any attachments with them ?? Noel

I think the chrome shield will shine up,but the muffler is shot. Just the deck came with it. I'm sure there was a blower with it at one time, the little eyelets are still on the front for the helper springs.

• propane1 said thank you

#17 limebuzz OFFLINE  

limebuzz

• 861 Thanks
  • 876 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 09:49 PM

Good Stuff the 10 is a late model has the bump on the right side foot board, deluxe muffler, late model mower mount, and you got another Hydro.

SSI is powered buy the stator coil, should check that first, I think that's the part that burns out if you put 12volts to the ignition circuit.

Thanks Doug. The thing is, the coil is missing completely,but I will test the stator. And yes. This is the first I've seen with this mower mount.looks quicker mounting and unmounting. 

#18 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 11:09 PM

Don't be afraid on the Tec ignition, the "Stoller Solution" is a great fix. Mine has been going for 7 or 8 years now. BEST thing I ever did on the tractor!

With the coil missing, don't bother looking further. The pick up coil from Ed Stoller, and the new ignition parts will replace all of that. If you need any help, just ask me!

Edited by FirefyterEmt, November 13, 2015 - 11:16 PM.

• limebuzz said thank you

#19 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted November 17, 2015 - 08:13 AM

There were 3 generations of the SSI modules, since yours is missing, it will be a crap shoot to get the one that was on it, but all three will work. Unless you piece meal it together yourself and know what your doing, any of the conversions out there will run you $140-160. I am going to try to put one together for around $70, hopefully

If you have to spend the money, I would recommend Dale Covert's Overnight ignition solutions kit, it's a direct plug and play and does not require the battery to run the engine. All the others you will find convert you over to an auto style battery-coil system meaning you need a good charging system also.

I have a break down of the systems in my sig.

Whatever you do, do not go to ebay and buy and overpriced 40 yr old unit that may fail on you tomorrow.

I am also working with a guy who may have a fix for burnt up coils for close to no money :dancingbanana:

Tecumsehs get a bad rap, but I love them, just have to learn their bugs.  When running good, they are workers.

• limebuzz and Alc have said thanks

#20 limebuzz OFFLINE  

limebuzz

• 861 Thanks
  • 876 posts

Posted November 17, 2015 - 09:01 AM

Thanks, so if I try a bunch that I have laying around. And it's different than what that engine had, it will not hurt anything? I know squat about tec engines 

#21 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted November 18, 2015 - 07:49 AM

Thanks, so if I try a bunch that I have laying around. And it's different than what that engine had, it will not hurt anything? I know squat about tec engines 

Shouldn't as long as the mounts are the same.

I've learned more than I ever wanted too  :wallbanging:  :bigrofl:

I recommend reading Ed's web page, he goes into detail on how these things work and the different models. I learned a lot from him.

Use the tabs at the top of his page.

http://home.earthlink.net/~edstoller/

#22 limebuzz OFFLINE  

limebuzz

• 861 Thanks
  • 876 posts

Posted November 19, 2015 - 04:04 PM

Well, for shits and giggles, I swapped out the coil on the 10 and I have spark. The clearance on the tall pin should be. 007?? I thought I seen that somewhere,but can't find it now.  

#23 Sugarmaker OFFLINE  

Sugarmaker
  • Member No: 51516
  • 205 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted November 22, 2015 - 09:16 AM

First of all, Pretty good looking tractors compared to the stuff I drag home! I will be watching this as I need to work on the electrical system some day for the little MF-8 I have in the garage.

Good luck with your tractor projects! Do you plan to restor both of these?

Regards,

Chris

#24 limebuzz OFFLINE  

limebuzz

• 861 Thanks
  • 876 posts

Posted November 22, 2015 - 09:34 AM

Well, I had spark and now I don't. So this one is on the back burner for now. Have a tractor in my shop that I'm working on for someone else. Want to get it buttoned up and gone. I didn't really plan on a restore for either of the 10 or 12. Just get them running and use them. 

• MH81 said thank you

#25 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted November 23, 2015 - 08:08 AM

Well, for shits and giggles, I swapped out the coil on the 10 and I have spark. The clearance on the tall pin should be. 007?? I thought I seen that somewhere,but can't find it now.  

.006-.010 on long pin

#26 limebuzz OFFLINE  

limebuzz

• 861 Thanks
  • 876 posts

Posted November 23, 2015 - 11:03 AM

Thanks Tahoe. I set the tall pin at 007 and had spark. And now nothing,but i'm not in a hurry for this tractor.

#27 limebuzz OFFLINE  

limebuzz

• 861 Thanks
  • 876 posts

Posted February 21, 2016 - 05:55 PM

Ok, im back to this 10 again. What causes this to have intermittent spark? Could it be the regulator?

#28 limebuzz OFFLINE  

limebuzz

• 861 Thanks
  • 876 posts

Posted February 23, 2016 - 12:46 PM

Alright, so I unplugged the connector for the SSI and stator yesterday.Low and behold,i've got great spark. I'm still needing some help here. Has anyone got a clue what could be causing this? It cranks over with the key.Does anyone know the indak # for the ignition switch? I just through an extra I had for the newer style MF. Or could it be the regulator?

#29 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,102 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted February 23, 2016 - 04:09 PM

Bad ignition switch, wrong switch or bad connection some where, just some guesses. Can't see the regulator causing the trouble. Don't put 12 volt power to the module, it will go , poof, I think, and be no good.

Noel

#30 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted February 23, 2016 - 05:01 PM

Maybe the wire that grounds the ignition is shorting to ground somewhere, when it shouldn't be???

Edited by DH1, February 23, 2016 - 05:01 PM.

• limebuzz and propane1 have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tecumseh