#16 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • Member No: 40
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 09:11 AM

I don't know the model, but the 6hp Jacobsen tractor shown this picture looks like it was built using some old stock parts. I saw one for sale last winter but didn't pay it much mind since it looked like it had seen some owner modifications. Now I wish I had known what I was looking at. It had to be a limited production model. Based on the other two tractors, it looks to be a 1965 model using a 1964 grill, Farmhand style clamshell fenders and a Cub Cadet style spring seat. uploadfromtaptalk1447423480899.JPG
  • josh deaven and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#17 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman

The Simplicity collector

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 465 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 01:18 PM

Simplicity serf 515, 525, 535,serf.jpg

• josh deaven, HANKG and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#18 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 987 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 02:52 PM

I think being happy with what you already own is rare in this hobby, I can only seem to be happy when searching for some tractor I don't already have! I am not sure if you would consider it a GT but bolens GKs seem to be pretty hard to come by in good condition, only made for a short time and usually for municipality and golf courses, they have seen lots of use and ended up scrap due to being owned by non private citizens.
  • HANKG said thank you

#19 tiretrx OFFLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 908 Thanks
  • 659 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 04:07 PM

As mentioned, as to Gravelys, the Westchester is a tough find. Also with Gravelys, is the Model D single wheel walkbehind. Many would say the holy grail. And while I wouldn't call them rare, the 24G's don't pop up every day, and are highly desirable. Especially in nice condition.

• WrenchinOnIt said thank you

#20 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,864 Thanks
  • 2,788 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 04:58 PM

Case 180, 59 wheel horse RJ, Massey executives Colt and I'm sure many more. The 63 Massey Ferguson executive only 678 built, also the Wheel Horse 953 is quite rare.

Edited by HANKG, November 13, 2015 - 07:22 PM.

• WrenchinOnIt said thank you

#21 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 07:34 PM

Thanks Troy

I didn't know my 79 317 was rare. Still has the original KT17 series 1 engine.

I didn't say I consider them rare Brian, just hard to find. You have a gem there, and probably one that I wouldn't use much if I were you.

There isn't much I consider "Rare" and personally I think the word "Rare" is very over used. There are so many people out there that think they have something "Rare" or think a certain tractor is "Rare", just because they haven't seen many around or for sale. They don't consider the fact, that they just aren't looking in the right places. Take for example, most John Deere collectors think the first production year 1963 110's are "Rare", only because there were 1,000 units produced. Funny how you are starting to see at least one 1963 110 at most tractor shows now. Guess they aren't as "Rare" as originally thought huh? I have two of these tractors in my collection, and I know of another collector that has five of them. Here's a point to consider, we know that there were 1,000 110's produced in 1963, and each of them were the same as the other. However, in 1966, John Deere introduced the round fender 112, and again, only made 1,000 units. What we don't know though, is just how many were produced as manual lift tractors, and how many were produced with hydraulic lift. I have one of each type, but with not knowing how many of these 112's were produced with hydraulic lift, does that mean that I have the only one produced? Is mine extremely "Rare"? I don't think so, it just means that others like mine just haven't shown up yet. Just because you don't see many of them at shows or listed on the market for sale, doesn't mean that it's extinct or impossible to find.

To see if I'm right, list one of your supposedly "Rare" tractors for sale sometime on ebay, rake in the money, then wait a week or two to see how many more of these "Rare" tractors start coming out of the wood work! People have these "hard to find" tractors, but don't realize that we collectors are looking for them. I'm willing to bet though, if we sell these tractors for an outstanding price, you'll be very surprised at the amount of tractors that will start turning up, and will eventually start to turn your gold mine into a coal mine.

About the only thing I consider "Rare" is uncooked meat! 

• Bolens 1000, wilberj, michael.kitko and 1 other said thanks

#22 ACmowerguy OFFLINE  

ACmowerguy
  • Member No: 67204
  • 290 Thanks
  • 289 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 09:14 PM

AC 920 Diesels are somewhat uncommon as well as the AC 414s.

Edited by ACmowerguy, November 13, 2015 - 09:14 PM.

#23 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,447 Thanks
  • 3,356 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 10:44 PM

This seems to be a rare article...
  • Bolens 1000 and wilberj have said thanks

#24 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted November 14, 2015 - 04:15 AM

Does the HB-212 fall into that too? :thumbs:  :D

I'm not calling the HB's rare... There's just fewer of them than the other models in the B series. The 212 was made twice as long as the 112 and the general consensus is that the production numbers were higher after the HB112 proved the Vickers hydrostat was a success.

RARE would be a very low serial number push button start HB 112. That tractor is only rumored to exist because the hydrostat tractors came out midway through 1968 after the new safety regulations required that they use a key start with safety switch and starter solenoid. Every HB112 I've seen as a key start. I have heard that there might be a few push button start models existing but to date no one has come forward with one.
  • holdenboy1960 said thank you

#25 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted November 14, 2015 - 07:19 AM

Finding a tractor that actually is rare , is rare!

• OldBuzzard, Alc, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#26 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted November 14, 2015 - 11:39 AM

Finding a tractor that actually is rare , is rare!

Being willing to spend the $$$ and/or travel the distance necessary to get one is even more rare  :D :D :D

Edited by OldBuzzard, November 14, 2015 - 11:40 AM.

• JDBrian and WrenchinOnIt have said thanks

#27 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,433 posts

Posted November 15, 2015 - 12:17 PM

i dont consider gts rare they are either uncommon hard to find in my area or a scarce model or brand around here. The hard to find around here are

bush hog

economy power king

gravelys

allis chalmers

david bradley

or any other walk behinds

Atleast to me these are the hard to find items in my area of the states, we have some that are so common the prices are dirt cheap low or a decent price if there redone

cub

jd

sears

craftsman

are the common brands

#28 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,514 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted November 15, 2015 - 12:46 PM

To see if I'm right, list one of your supposedly "Rare" tractors for sale sometime on ebay, rake in the money, then wait a week or two to see how many more of these "Rare" tractors start coming out of the wood work! People have these "hard to find" tractors, but don't realize that we collectors are looking for them. I'm willing to bet though, if we sell these tractors for an outstanding price, you'll be very surprised at the amount of tractors that will start turning up, and will eventually start to turn your gold mine into a coal mine.

About the only thing I consider "Rare" is uncooked meat!

I think the COLLECTORS know "rare", RARELY do you see something that is listed for sale as "rare" bring the high money. Will a collector overpay for something they want for their collection, YES! Most of us have, most of the time they are either in very nice condition or a harder to find item.
A bidding "war" on Ebay on something that may or may not be worth it will usually bring more out of the woodwork, but again did a collector buy it? If so they decided what it's worth to them and if it's a public format, the rest can ridicule or admire... so be it.
I was drawn into a bidding war on Ebay for a Bulldog trencher attachment for a Bolens LF, couple years ago ,it went for $2500, been patiently waiting for another....

Coal mine vs gold mine... well most of us hope our purchase's were on the coal mine end and if need to be parted with will be pleased if a gold mine response shows up!

The hobby will continue to evolve and change, location ,age group, financial resources will all continue to drive collecting.

Rarity if for the experts on the various brands to comment or enlighten the ones asking, fortunately there are places that you can ask such as this forum.

In my past 25 years of collecting IMO what's getting rare are nice , original, unmolested units regardless of production numbers.
  • RAJ, tiretrx and backwoods have said thanks

#29 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted November 15, 2015 - 12:56 PM

Since I'm only brand specific, I can only relate to John Deere's. I don't really consider them "Rare", but more in the lines of harder to find:

1963 round fender 110's (first year production-limited to only 1,000)

1966 round fender 112's, both the hydraulic lift and the manual lift versions (first year production-limited to only 1,000)

1966 60 lawn tractors

1969 140's with the 1968 left over 12hp Kohler engines

1971 120's, in either green or the patio series

1977 or 1978 208's

1986 330's 

1979 317's (first year production-limited to 25,000 but most original motors didn't survive)

Rear engine riders like the 55, 56, 57 and electric 90

I would also call the early '68 Deere's with the serial tag on the side collectable but not rare.  For me, collectibility is relative.  I love my '71 120 and it is late production too.  I love my '68 110 side tag (real basic one with manual lift and narrow tires, no headlights or taillights).  I love the 312s for the 300s styling and no side panels paired with the k301.

In the end, I think it is about whatever trips your trigger.  :thumbs:

#30 tiretrx OFFLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 908 Thanks
  • 659 posts

Posted November 15, 2015 - 01:01 PM

In my past 25 years of collecting IMO what's getting rare are nice , original, unmolested units regardless of production numbers.

Agreed.

• MGP59DB said thank you