Sunset today, 4:52.
  • oldedeeres and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#17 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted November 12, 2015 - 08:27 PM

The lack of exposure to sunlight is known to be depressing. We put full spectrum flourecent lights in our kitchen 15 years ago and it seems to help alittle. When I can, I sit in the sunlight in our livingroom during the day. It too seems to help. I hope to spend alot of time at my workbench this winter. I bought a 4' flourecent light to set over it and will put the full spectrum bulbs in it to try to get alittle more benificial light.

I see winter as the time to work inside. Repair equipment, build small projects, and stay warm. Old timers used to do it that way too. My father was a carpenter. Cold weather was for finish carpentry and cabinet making. He loved doing fancy things. A friend with an excavation company used the time to overhaul his equipment, weld up rollers, weld up tracks, and rebuild hydraulics. My brother would rebuild a full set of replacement engines for his landscaping equipment, including spare sbc 350s for his trucks, and rebuild a truck. 

It is also a time to rest and heal from overexerting in the warm weather. I catch up on reading too. Enjoy the advantages of each season. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, November 12, 2015 - 08:29 PM.

• Gtractor, Alc, LilysDad and 3 others have said thanks

#18 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted November 12, 2015 - 09:51 PM

Work Third! Go to work in dark, work all night as it is dark, leave in AM in Dark. Might get some level of light, but I go to Bed in AM when home, so sleep for most of light time in day, get up too late in afternoon and it is Dark, or close anyway. Unless I sleep till noon, use afternoon for work or fun stuff, then sleep after supper, it's like I Never see light of day! :(

I actually felt I had more time on midnight. I worked 11pm to 8am. Got home at 830 took a shower went to bed. Got up at 2 or 3. Spend the evening 9 messing around till work. If I got tired I took an Hour and half nap at 9 to 1030 and go to work.

6 on 2 off.

I did get a break this week. My boss called me and told me I was working out of the office 20 miles from home tomorrow Saturday and all next week. I am excited

Edited by toomanytoys84, November 12, 2015 - 09:53 PM.

• boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#19 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted November 12, 2015 - 10:55 PM

I wish they'd put time on std or DST year round. It doesn't matter to me which one.

Mike 

#20 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 06:29 AM

I sure can relate to these posts lol  Funny years ago they had a big influx for the afternoon shift 4pm-12:30 am   some guys couldn't stand it and bid out after a few years , now the others don't want to work day shift , they say they can't get any work done around the house . They get their work done during the week so the whole weekend can be theirs to do what they want .  Where mine is working like a nut to get all the crap done I can't do in the evenings anymore :(

#21 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 07:18 AM

I don't like the short days either. One thing that helped me over the years was to take up winter sports like down hill or cross country skiing. It gives you something to look forward to. Last winter I took up marathon snow blowing, shoveling and plowing. No choice in that one but it did give me some exercise. Always worked the early day shift 7am-3pm so it's almost always dark in the mornings but some light left at the end of the work day.

• Alc, KennyP, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#22 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,755 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 07:18 AM

Have you guys considered packing up the tractors and moving to Ugonda? Right on the equator!
  • Alc, oldedeeres and toppop52 have said thanks

#23 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,519 Thanks
  • 3,394 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 07:23 AM

Then I wouldn't get the 6 weeks of 8:30 PM sunsets in summer! :D

• boyscout862 said thank you

#24 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,441 Thanks
  • 953 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 07:52 AM

I don't like the short days either. One thing that helped me over the years was to take up winter sports like down hill or cross country skiing. It gives you something to look forward to. Last winter I took up marathon snow blowing, shoveling and plowing. No choice in that one but it did give me some exercise. Always worked the early day shift 7am-3pm so it's almost always dark in the mornings but some light left at the end of the work day.

My daughter is moving from Kelowna BC to Goldboro NS next year...when I mentioned how much snow she will have to deal with her response "Puttting a plow on the truck!"  

#25 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 08:09 AM

If one don't think about it and dwell on it, not all that bad.  It is what you make of it.  We are up at 6AM year around and really don't make any difference with us.  Retired so just have the normal things to do to keep a property up.  Slow getting much done this fall as I have a bad knee and need it replaced.  Trying to hold off till next October.  Have one more tree to get blocked up and home and then get it all split yet.  Won't happen.  The the neighbor just called yesterday and said that patch of standing corn by me was to wet to get his combine through and that I could have it if I wanted it.  Probably 25 or 30 bushels of shelled corn out there.  Going to start picking it by hand (water between the rows) and run it through a good hand corn sheller we just happen to have, and burn it in the corn/pellet stove in the basement.  At $4.75 a bushel, sure I will take it.  Plenty of daylight to get that much work done if several days.  Won't bother the knee much either with the brace on.

Edited by chieffan, November 13, 2015 - 08:10 AM.

#26 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 08:16 AM

Have you guys considered packing up the tractors and moving to Ugonda? Right on the equator!

No, but we were all hoping you would  :poke:

My poor chickens, they are all on the roost asleep before I get home to feed, they are used to getting fed in the evening, they have to go to bed on an empty stomach :D

I used to work 2on/2 off 12 hr days, I hated the long days at work, but I got so much done at home. Get kids off to school then I could hammer out a full days work on projects. Now I work 7-3:30, M-Fri and it's hard to get anything done. Seems my Saturdays always are planned for me by other people, stuff going on I have to attend.

If nothing else, I do get some indoors projects done during winter.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#27 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 08:25 AM

I figure, on average, you folks have spent 25 years not getting anything done. Somehow your getting along.

#28 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 08:44 AM

I figure, on average, you folks have spent 25 years not getting anything done. Somehow your getting along.

If not getting anything done is the same as doing nothing, the problem w/ doing nothing is you never know when you're finished.

Mike

#29 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 08:59 AM

I'm finished when I go home.

#30 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 10:18 AM

Seems my Saturdays always are planned for me by other people, stuff going on I have to attend.

Every Friday I get asked by someone, "what ya doing this weekend?"  My response every time "I don't know, my wife hasn't told me yet"

If I try to plan something I can't do it because she has something planned for me already.