• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 FixItCharlie ONLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 361 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 10:20 PM

I just purchased new hour meters for my tractors. In another forum there is a discussion on how to wire an hour meter. One thing that was mentioned was to use an oil pressure sender to establish the ground for the meter. The direction for connecting these new meters also suggested this. The Kohler motors in my tractors like the motors in most older GT does not have oil pressure. So the normal way to connect the hour meter would have it operate with just the key on. I put together a simple circuit that will have the hour meter operating with the motor trying to start or running.

Hour Meter Ground.jpg

This drawing could use some improvements but hopefully it gets the idea across. It uses a DPDT relay to connect the ground to the meter using a normal open contact. To energize the relay a connection is made on the starter solenoid where the wire from the ignition switch connects. A stick path is made by connecting the other normally open contact on the relay to the battery terminal on the coil. The other part of this switch is connected to the relay coil. A  diode is used to keep the ignition battery from energizing the starter solenoid. Shutting off the ignition switch allows the relay to open the ground for the hour meter & the only way to get it closed is starting the tractor.This shows the completed circuit.

Hour Meter 2.jpg

This is a small circuit & I have some ideas on mounting it close to the meter. When it is fully installed I will post some more pictures.

Charlie

• Alc and MolonLabe have said thanks

#2 MolonLabe OFFLINE  

MolonLabe

Rust Wrangler

• Member No: 59683
  • 411 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted November 12, 2015 - 05:32 AM

Great idea! I have found the key turned on on my 416-8 more than once, hour meter running, usually after a visit from the grand kids and a day or two after the fact. With your circuit that would no longer be an issue. Thanks!

• FixItCharlie said thank you

#3 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 281 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 02:08 PM

Charlie, I suppose the term stick path is meant to mean a relay hold circuit?
  • FixItCharlie said thank you

#4 FixItCharlie ONLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • 361 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 07:58 PM

Yes my years with the railroad is showing. The first contact on the relay that is connected to the other battery source & relay control. This will keep the normally open contacts closed until key is shut off.

Charlie

#5 FixItCharlie ONLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • 361 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted January 07, 2016 - 10:13 PM

When I installed the Hour Meter on my 1977 LGT100 Ford Tractor I found a problem. When first installed the circuit the Hour Meter would run as long as key was on but would not run when the motor started. I removed this circuit & just hooked the positive of the Hour Meter to a switched battery. Again the same result Hour Meter would run when on battery but would not work with the motor running. I tried connecting the meter directly to the battery now it would work with the motor running. I reconnected the Hour Meter back to switched battery knowing that the meter should be good. Checking voltage with a digital meter I found voltage was constantly changing from 3 volts to 14 volts. Battery is always showing as being charged when needed. I did not have an analog meter available which is some times better when troubleshooting this type of problem. Just by chance I turn on the lights & the Hour Meter starts working. Now I could run the tractor with the lights on to use the Hour Meter but I would rather only use the lights when there is a need for them. While contemplating a solution for this I came across an ignition capacitor. I connected this in parallel with the Hour Meter now the meter works as intended.

Cap.jpg

Charlie

• KennyP said thank you