• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Chubien ONLINE  

Chubien
  • Member No: 61561
  • 605 Thanks
  • 382 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 07:12 PM

Alright guys, so I got this nice 850 a few months back. This is an all original low hours tractor which had not run in 16 years.

Over the last few weeks I have been working at getting her back up and running by doing the usual - carb rebuild, head gasket, battery, points, clean gas tank, new fuel valve, new fuel line.... Tractor runs like a champ!

I take her out for a quick spin to see how everything goes and its all good, tight steering, good clutch, engine is tight and does not smoke... But I just can't get her in first gear! Reverse takes one or two tries, all other gears shift perfect.

A few weeks went by and I decided to open up the tranny cover to see what was going on, I suspected a bad shift fork but that wasn't it, looks like first gear is so chewed up that it won't engage.

I have read some posts about rebuilding the gear using weld puddles but I'm hoping I don't have to go this route, what do you guys think, can I fix it in situ by carefully filing the gear? Is there enough left of that gear?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447287032.989600.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447287045.571090.jpg
  • Bolens 1000, boyscout862, 29 Chev and 1 other said thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 07:29 PM

I would say file down the rough edges and use as is, lots of area left on that gear, to double check engauge that gear with the other one and see how much grabs. That gear is a "Stand alone" on that shaft and not like the ones on the 6 speed where all of them are together. That gear is actually part of shaft 1713442 and I bet if all else fails it could be cut off and you could find another gear to weld back on it.

I've got one worse than yours pictured and still use it with no problems, to prolong the life just always make sure you have good brake pads especially on the drum itself

• boyscout862 and Chubien have said thanks

#3 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 987 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 07:32 PM

I think my first step would be to figure out why it has chewed up its gear. That is significant damage and I think a repair is not an option, just my opinion.
  • Bolens 1000, boyscout862 and Chubien have said thanks

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 07:40 PM

I think my first step would be to figure out why it has chewed up its gear. That is significant damage and I think a repair is not an option, just my opinion.

This is a very common thing among these , especially the 3 speed transmissions where there was no brake plate on the clutch and they relied solely on a small brake drum below the shift plate.

They required adjustment as the pad would wear to stop the drive shaft from spinning and alot of times guys just didnt adjust them and replace the pads when the wore down or they just shifted when the tractor was still in motion.

For a 3 speed this tranny is not in bad shape really and reflects normal wear.

• boyscout862, Chubien and chieffan have said thanks

#5 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 987 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 07:58 PM

I would have to agree with you, I was speaking generally about transmissions and did not know the inherent issues with this particular unit. I can understand how without the ability to stop the drive line damage would occur. Thank you for the clarification, it makes sense now.
  • chieffan said thank you

#6 Chubien ONLINE  

Chubien
  • 605 Thanks
  • 382 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 08:01 PM

I'll have a go at carefully filling the gear then. I had a look at the parts manual and I see what you mean about that gear being part of the shaft.

Kind of disappointing as I expected this tranny to be in top shape considering how the tractor looks cosmetically and with the brake drum being adjusted correctly.

I was thinking of making this one my mower next summer, what gear(s) would typically be used for mowing with an 850 and a 36" deck?

Edited by chubien, November 11, 2015 - 08:03 PM.

#7 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,117 Thanks
  • 1,203 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 09:09 PM

You could build up the worn part of the gear with weld puddle the way I did in this post - http://www.mytractor...ear-repair.html .  After you weld it you could grind the tooth profile in the welded area with an electric drill using a 3" cut off wheel for a die grinder- using the drill allows you to remove a little bit at a time so you have control over how much material you are removing - try not to grind any part of the remaining gear.  The reason I suggest building up the missing portion is not so much for strength as there is lots of tooth left as stated but it will prevent the gear from getting worn any worse if you do happen to accidently grind the gear as the welded area will become the new wear surface - just a suggestion.

• Chubien and chieffan have said thanks

#8 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,350 Thanks
  • 1,759 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 09:12 PM

I think I would try what Brian said,clean it up and see how it is,I have also seen a lot worse IMO

• Chubien and chieffan have said thanks

#9 Chubien ONLINE  

Chubien
  • 605 Thanks
  • 382 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 09:23 PM

You could build up the worn part of the gear with weld puddle the way I did in this post - http://www.mytractor...ear-repair.html . After you weld it you could grind the tooth profile in the welded area with an electric drill using a 3" cut off wheel for a die grinder- using the drill allows you to remove a little bit at a time so you have control over how much material you are removing - try not to grind any part of the remaining gear. The reason I suggest building up the missing portion is not so much for strength as there is lots of tooth left as stated but it will prevent the gear from getting worn any worse if you do happen to accidently grind the gear as the welded area will become the new wear surface - just a suggestion.

I recall reading that post, and I know that is the preferable way to go but at the moment a welder is not available so I'll try the easy way of filing it down to the point where I can use the gear. If that fails or isn't working well enough I'll have to get someone to weld puddle it and I can do the time consuming job of filing the teeth down.

Hopefully I can get it working well enough to mow next year without having to fight the transmission too much.

#10 Rainier ONLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 53758
  • 375 Thanks
  • 392 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 09:48 PM

Is the 850 a one of a kind, or is there another model that parts would interchange with it?

#11 Chubien ONLINE  

Chubien
  • 605 Thanks
  • 382 posts

Posted November 12, 2015 - 08:24 AM

The 850 shares the same transmission as the 800 and 900.
They are all probably in similar condition though...

#12 Rainier ONLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 53758
  • 375 Thanks
  • 392 posts

Posted November 12, 2015 - 12:05 PM

Ok here is one one CL. Looks better than the one you got. The post I'd is post id: 5292483456. Good luck!

#13 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted November 12, 2015 - 12:15 PM

That gear can't be pressed off that shaft?

#14 Chubien ONLINE  

Chubien
  • 605 Thanks
  • 382 posts

Posted November 12, 2015 - 12:35 PM

Ok here is one one CL. Looks better than the one you got. The post I'd is post id: 5292483456. Good luck!

Which area is this listing?
I can't find it searching that post id

#15 SgtMoonracer ONLINE  

SgtMoonracer
  • Member No: 74500
  • 20 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted November 12, 2015 - 03:15 PM

That listing is in Seattle...  try this: 

http://seattle.craig...5292483456.html