Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,608 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 06:44 AM

Came across this and thought I would share , so much power being made from the wind turbines in Texas they are giving it away at night . I wonder what the daytime rate is ?

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

http://www.nytimes.c...icity.html?_r=0
  • MH81, Bruce Dorsi, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#2 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,166 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 07:08 AM

There are no free "lunches."  .....I'm certain the companies will cover their costs other ways.

My in-laws live in Portland, PA.  ....Back in the late 1970's or early 1980's, their local power supplier (MetEd or PPL) sent out letters asking customers to conserve electricity, and offered tips on ways to conserve. 

Several months later, a letter was sent out informing customers that due to decreased demand, the rates would have to be increased to cover operating costs.

• Alc, KennyP, boyscout862 and 4 others have said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,344 Thanks
  • 39,622 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 07:13 AM

There are no free "lunches."  .....I'm certain the companies will cover their costs other ways.

My in-laws live in Portland, PA.  ....Back in the late 1970's or early 1980's, their local power supplier (MetEd or PPL) sent out letters asking customers to conserve electricity, and offered tips on ways to conserve. 

Several months later, a letter was sent out informing customers that due to decreased demand, the rates would have to be increased to cover operating costs.

Sounds about right!

• boyscout862 and toppop52 have said thanks

#4 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,447 Thanks
  • 3,355 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 07:16 AM

It's not a free lunch, I agree there are no such. But, it is for real, the power is generated and if not used, wasted, at night when the winds blow the most over the windmill fields. So if people use less of the expensive by comparison, natural gas, oil, coal, etc... generated power, and more cheaper wind power, then it stands to reason that profits can stay level and your bill goes down.

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,485 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 07:19 AM

Very interesting article.  Iowa is next to Texas in wind farm electric production.  A few years ago they put up 150 wind generators about 10 miles North of me.  Now they are building another 150 about 15 miles SE of me.  They are showing up all over the Western part of the state.  Problem is all the power goes into the grid and goes out West.  And last month we get a notice that the local power Co-op is raising our availability rate by $5 a month.  So now it cost us $30 just to have the power available for us to use and does not include any actual power.  Big rip off as far as I am concerned.  Land owner get a big check ever year for having the tower(s) on his land.  Farmer has to farm around them and the rock roads they build for access.  And the local consumer get a raise in their light bill.

• Alc, HANKG and toppop52 have said thanks

#6 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • 3,447 Thanks
  • 3,355 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 07:19 AM

Sounds about right!

Yep, that was a calculated plan, used by several larger power suppliers to get higher profits at lower costs. But this deal in Texas lets the companies earn the same profits at lower costs with lower customer prices. Totally different deal.

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • 3,447 Thanks
  • 3,355 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 07:21 AM

Very interesting article.  Iowa is next to Texas in wind farm electric production.  A few years ago they put up 150 wind generators about 10 miles North of me.  Now they are building another 150 about 15 miles SE of me.  They are showing up all over the Western part of the state.  Problem is all the power goes into the grid and goes out West.  And last month we get a notice that the local power Co-op is raising our availability rate by $5 a month.  So now it cost us $30 just to have the power available for us to use and does not include any actual power.  Big rip off as far as I am concerned.  Land owner get a big check ever year for having the tower(s) on his land.  Farmer has to farm around them and the rock roads they build for access.  And the local consumer get a raise in their light bill.

Sounds like you guys need new elected officials to look out for the locals.

• boyscout862 and karl have said thanks

#8 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,485 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 07:30 AM

It's not a free lunch, I agree there are no such. But, it is for real, the power is generated and if not used, wasted, at night when the winds blow the most over the windmill fields. So if people use less of the expensive by comparison, natural gas, oil, coal, etc... generated power, and more cheaper wind power, then it stands to reason that profits can stay level and your bill goes down.

What you said it partially true but only because Texas has very limited connection to the main power grid.  So the excess is not distributed to the grid but is use more locally.  Iowa is not that way.  All the wind power is put into the main power grid and the local Co-op buy it back off that grid, through other wholesale distributors.  Many years ago when wind power was new a small town put up their own wind charger,  Excess is sold to the local power Co-op.  That was before the Co-op's got greedy and now they require a $1 million liability policy to even hook up one of the required interconnect boxes.  The premium for that policy is more than the average small farm uses in a year.  This way the Co-op don't have to buy the excess power and has full control over the available power.  90% of the power generated in Iowa goes out West.

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#9 karl OFFLINE  

karl
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,032 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 07:32 AM

Caution is advised,Site is loaded with spy and add ware!
  • MH81, boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#10 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,485 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 07:35 AM

Local REC employees are the highest paid working class in the this entire part of the state.  A 1 year experienced lineman gets $25 an hour.  The line foreman has over 30 years with the company and get over $35 an hour.  The only time they actually earn that kind of pay is during storms and major outages.  Happens once or twice a year at the most.

#11 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,485 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 07:37 AM

I seen that too.  Hopefully everyone is protected.

#12 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,065 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 07:45 AM

This is exactly what I see happening.  No one is using power during the day, better up rates to cover cost.

There are huge subsidies for wind and solar.  The tax payers are paying part of the bill anyway, why not make it operate at a higher loss rate.

• Alc said thank you

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 08:04 AM

Never notice that stuff anymore, apple has a level of insulation that makes it nice.
Added a few screen shots for the members who don't want to go, but still want to read it.
  • Alc said thank you

#14 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 10:14 AM

That says it to a T...    That's big gov. for ya...    They want you to save .. BUT they still want their big profit from it all..

#15 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 10:43 AM

@ chieffan... how much would you charge to risk your life working on 69, 000 volts. The flip side of that, you probably wont get reliable service with a high turnover $10/hr job.
  • Bmerf said thank you