boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 12:02 PM

I always thought one of these would be neat

https://www.govdeals...ctid=4252#media

attachicon.gifu2.JPGattachicon.gifu1.JPG

Thanks Willie but, that is a Unimog from Germany. We looked at them in the 70s but went with JD 410s instead. From time to time we have looked at them again but I don't think the Army bought many. The ones that I saw in 1980 were full size 5 ton dump trucks with a bucket loader added on to it. The pivot for the booms was behind the cab so that it could scoop and dump into itself. It seemed to be adapted from the big garbage trucks that empty dumpsters.

If your town or county engineer is on the ball, the federal surplus system can be a gold mine. 25 years ago as a town engineer, I could have bought a CAT D6 with 200 original hours for $20,000. The town needed it in our gravel pit and when we were done we could have gotten around $100,000. The board of selectmen didn't want to do it, so that deal got away. I did get several big pieces of equipment like a road grader, JD401, dump trucks, and lots of supplies.  The surplus savings more than made up for my salary but nobody seemed to understand that. When my position was eliminated they stopped getting the surplus deals.

Good Luck, Rick

• ENafziger and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#17 Leonard VanCamp ONLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • Member No: 62684
  • 235 Thanks
  • 196 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 12:14 PM

I always thought one of these would be neat

https://www.govdeals...ctid=4252#media

attachicon.gifu2.JPGattachicon.gifu1.JPG

The one on the the left is a High Mobilty Material Handler, also known as a Himee, I didn't see many when I served. The other is a Small Emplacement Exacavator, known as a See, but for those of us who had to operate and work on them the term has another meaning, Shi*ty Engineer Equipment. Its a German Mercedes Unimog license built by Freightliner (now a part of Mercedes), it has a Schmidt front bucket, Case backhoe and Stanley hydraulic tools. TRhe Army was also looking at third version with a blade on the front and a trencher on the rear. 

• boyscout862 said thank you

#18 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,767 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 05:57 PM

Thanks Willie but, that is a Unimog from Germany.

Might be a German made Unimog but it is in TN.