• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • Member No: 70148
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted November 10, 2015 - 08:29 PM

Craftsman II GT Model Number 917.255919, part #7190J. It's the spring that operates the bracket for 2 idler pulleys under front of tractor. Drive belt for deck runs in the pulleys.  Anyone know where I can get one?

Ones I'm finding say No longer available".

Thanks

#2 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,953 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted November 10, 2015 - 10:05 PM

Check with your local ACE hardware, that is where I have been obtaining my NLA springs from.

• Alc and Phluphy have said thanks

#3 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 09:40 AM

Check with your local ACE hardware, that is where I have been obtaining my NLA springs from.

Will do. Two problems are...I don't have a clue as to how long it was nor tension required. 

Thanks

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 03:01 PM

Craftsman II GT Model Number 917.255919, part #7190J. It's the spring that operates the bracket for 2 idler pulleys under front of tractor. Drive belt for deck runs in the pulleys.  Anyone know where I can get one?

Ones I'm finding say No longer available".

Thanks

That sounds like the 'mule' drive. Cannot get Sears Parts to bring that up, but I have one in the garage. I'll see what it looks like.

Is this what you are looking at?

2015-11-11 15.04.04.jpg     2015-11-11 15.04.32.jpg

• Phluphy said thank you

#5 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 10:48 PM

That sounds like the 'mule' drive. Cannot get Sears Parts to bring that up, but I have one in the garage. I'll see what it looks like.

Is this what you are looking at?

attachicon.gif2015-11-11 15.04.04.jpg    attachicon.gif2015-11-11 15.04.32.jpg

Exactly. Went to Ace today and picked up a "maybe it'll work" substitute. Haven't tried it yet. Will do tomorrow. If it doesn't do the job I'll get back to you.  Thanks

• KennyP said thank you

#6 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,953 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted November 12, 2015 - 09:01 AM

I was going to pull my spring off so to measure, the ends are coiled almost completely around the bottom mount which would require removeing the stand off bolt at the bottom to get the spring off. I guess it was done this way to prevent the spring from popping off easily. I would make sure the spring end loop is as closed as possible If you can. I have had "some" luck with heat when I needed to twist one of the spring ends around, I would think closing the end up would be easier.

• KennyP and Phluphy have said thanks

#7 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted November 12, 2015 - 12:20 PM

I was going to pull my spring off so to measure, the ends are coiled almost completely around the bottom mount which would require removeing the stand off bolt at the bottom to get the spring off. I guess it was done this way to prevent the spring from popping off easily. I would make sure the spring end loop is as closed as possible If you can. I have had "some" luck with heat when I needed to twist one of the spring ends around, I would think closing the end up would be easier.

Yepper, the spring from Ace has nearly closed ends, in fact the one in your photo looks exactly like it.  Thinking I'll pull the anchor bolt and run it through the eye of the spring rather than risk snapping end off.

Thanks

Second look at yours...they aren't the same.  Yours has a longer reach on the one end. Will get back to you if my idea doesn't work.

Thanks again

Hot damn!  It worked.  

Edited by Phluphy, November 12, 2015 - 05:00 PM.

• KennyP said thank you