14 replies to this topic

#1 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,461 Thanks
  • 2,527 posts

Posted November 10, 2015 - 08:03 PM

With the lawn & garden tractors becoming so popular lately, and the prices of our toys are increasing almost daily, are you still happy with the brand that you started collecting many years ago, or would you choose a different brand to collect if you could start all over again?

I know most of you collectors aren't brand specific, however there are some collectors out there that are. I guess my question above would mostly pertain to the brand specific guys, however the non-brand specific guys can still voice their opinions and thoughts as well.

Now that we can see a little bit of what brands are popular and doing good on the market, and which brands aren't holding their value, I was just curious to see if anybody is still happy with their brand choices. To me, value doesn't mean much, as I'm not looking to sell off my collection, however it seems like the prices for John Deere related equipment and attachments seems to be skyrocketing and holding it's own over the past few years. Good for re-sell, however hurtful to new collectors just starting out. Also hurts the collectors that are only looking for certain parts in order to complete or finish a tractor restoration.

So what's your thoughts? Still happy with your specific brand, or are you majorly disappointed?  

Edited by johndeereelfman, November 10, 2015 - 08:14 PM.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,746 Thanks
  • 2,721 posts

Posted November 10, 2015 - 08:11 PM

I'm not brand specific, and enjoy eight different manufacturer's I like the variety and try to collect the ones that have good eye appeal. If I had it to do over I would not change my collection at all , I just want to add more .

• johndeereelfman, boyscout862 and classic have said thanks

#3 jabelman OFFLINE  

• Member No: 38843
  • 1,452 Thanks
  • 1,117 posts

Posted November 10, 2015 - 08:28 PM

I can go on on but I try keep it brief.
yes I think the hobby is growing.
John deere will always be popular by name. there are many other brands that are much rarer but a round fender 110 will out sell it.
I am not brand specific but I favor panzers. I have a variety of other makes and each has its own story behind it that would only mean something to me.
Personally I think values are dropping I do full restorations and 99.9% is all done by me. I don't think I will ever turn a profit. this is why it's a hobby. it gives me a chance to work with my kids. I have done the fast car thing, dirt bikes and atv's and to be honest the most fun I have is going 4mph on my david bradley

Edited by jabelman, November 10, 2015 - 09:30 PM.

• grnspot110, johndeereelfman, boyscout862 and 4 others have said thanks

#4 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,451 Thanks
  • 17,089 posts

Posted November 10, 2015 - 09:28 PM

Been a life long Bolens guy and am sticking to it :D

There has always been a following of  Bolens for as long as I can remember, if you look back at some of the forums that have come and gone there have always been a good amount of Bolens guys on them as far back as the late 90's.

I think with most brands the prices have gone up due to the spike in internet forums and more people having information and access to purchasing the machines they want.

Being a collector I dont value my collection by how much $$ I can get but I can say Bolens have always kept their value, seems like almost everyone  who was a dealer and has been retired for years still is into them or has a few left over to play with, the Bolens disease is something you just cant shake!

Dont know what the future holds but its been a fun ride and no matter what happens I know I'll personally still collect Bolens for the rest of my life! :thumbs:

• johndeereelfman, boyscout862, HANKG and 1 other said thanks

#5 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 10, 2015 - 09:54 PM

Well, here we go, shoot me in the foot or I will do it myself. I over collect certain brands, but diversify my collection whenever a good deal on a rare or uncommon tractor presents itself. However, walk behind tractors do not have much value compared to a riding tractor, for obvious reason. Now, Springfield tractors are uncommon, but becoming better known, since I have been collecting them for almost 10 years now. I am up to about 20 of them in various conditions now. On that note, I am sorry I collected that many, because they are taking up so much space, but I collected some great items (implementation) related to Springfield, but with so many tractors of that brand, I have no ability to FOCUS on any one of them, or any other brands I have collected.... I can't even decide which chassis will be restored, and which will donate parts to those others....

I also have used up all my available space storing them, but they are not getting scrapped, but they are in a stell mate with life.... I think I have over 5 grand just in that one brand.... But they aren't Cub Cadet or John Deere, so they are only worth about half that... If even that... Not sorry I saved them from being further neglected, possibly crushed, but with so many, I'm just as bad as some of the "previous owners" that we are critical of neglecting these tractors we love to save...

Will their value go up? who knows, who cares, they are NOT being made anymore, and that is why they hold such high value with me. As I encounter the question of "What are the Springfields worth?" I now say, $100-$400, or whatever dumb number I decide to pay if I hear it's for sale....

What's the answer? I often wonder if us tractor collectors shouldnt be tractor orphanages, working harder to place tractors in good homes without buying or selling, because we need another generation to take interest in these things or there will be no future for these great machines. And if the world ever decides to build simple, high quality tractors again, poof, just like the muscle cars. Why buy old when the new one has more horses and more warranty, and designed to look the same as the old one...
  • johndeereelfman, boyscout862, Brando and 4 others have said thanks

#6 propane1 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 54307
  • 5,875 Thanks
  • 3,111 posts

Posted November 10, 2015 - 10:16 PM

When I started collecting I went for a ford , then a Massey ferguson. Then a John Deere. I knew early that I would collect tractors that were farm tractor names. I still don't have an international cub cadet, case or a allis chalmers. And never will. Some brands are just made by one company and are all the same, other than colour and name. Some were never sold in my area and are possibly not farm tractor related. There are many models that I have learned about since I have been on this site, that I never knew about. They are the ones that I won't collect because there are none here in my area. So, I collect farm tractor name, garden tractors. And their attachments. Hope fully I am not out of line here, just sharing my thoughts. Noel.

My favorites are Massey Ferguson , John Deere and Ford, not quite in that order.
  • johndeereelfman, boyscout862 and HANKG have said thanks

#7 Littledeere OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,540 Thanks
  • 1,438 posts

Posted November 10, 2015 - 10:38 PM

Not sure what your talking about Troy not sure what a large collection is myself. There always seems to be somebody that has more. {LOL]  but I wish I had bought up some of the stuff I thought was priced high win I started this over 10 years ago. I would have some of the really hard to find items more so than I do now and maybe less of the more common things.

And as far as brand I would still be mainly a JD guy because that's what started it all but I still like many different kinds and would still have other brands mixed in

• grnspot110, johndeereelfman, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#8 Paulgo OFFLINE  

• Member No: 68759
  • 560 Thanks
  • 370 posts

Posted November 10, 2015 - 11:11 PM

I fell into a deal on my first Bolens knowing absolutely nothing about them. Totally loved how quickly and easily it did what needed doing. Figured that, since they don't make them any more, I better pick up a parts machine. It took me 15 minutes to get Bolens #2 running and everything on it worked! These things are built really well. Now I could have one set up for this and the other set up for that. So... Needed 2 or 3 more to use as parts machines so I could keep the first two going forever. Same story.  The darn things would rather work than become parts tractors. I now have 6 complete GT's and only one extra to actually cannibalize for parts. Didn't plan on having a collection...  Paul

• johndeereelfman, boyscout862 and HANKG have said thanks

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,337 Thanks
  • 1,449 posts

Posted November 10, 2015 - 11:46 PM

Never second guess it for a minute.  I grew up on a farm with IH and that is what is in my blood.  My one uncle had an Oliver and a TO Ferguson and a Massey Ferguson mixed in with his red so I have a soft spot for certain other brands.  Heck I bought the MF12 just because it was cheap and it is a good little tractor.  Mom and Dad have a JD 318 and and there are a few other farm tractors that aren't red.  I am pretty set with IH being my mainstay for the foreseeable future but I am always on the lookout for deals in any color if they present themselves.

• johndeereelfman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#10 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,487 Thanks
  • 7,359 posts

Posted November 10, 2015 - 11:47 PM

I used to collect what ever presented itself. I have over 85 tractors but have only paid for about 20 of them. "If its free, its for me" used to be my motto. Now, I've resigned myself to thining the herd and only acquiring quality GTs. My first GT was my Wheelhorse raider 9 for $50 but it needed a new engine. Then a Simplicity 725 for $50 with 4 attachments. Those were in the 70s and 80s. In 94 I was given a Bolens H14 with 4 attachments. In 95 I bought a running Magnatrak GT for $65 with a plow. When my son turned 12, I picked up about 40 tractors for free and bought a AC B10 for $50. We played with them and it distracted him from video games for a while.

I had not planned to get anymore GTs this year but I gave in to: a beautifull 1969 MTD 12 Hundred for $200 , a Bolens 850 for $50, a couple of Case tractors at good prices, a Power Roller for $80, and a lawn aerator $80. I did pass on many tractors because I just won't have the time for them. I have given up on any rules for the hobby. I hope to get rid of the tractors that I don't love(that will leave 30). But. I never know what I will fall for next. The Case is really starting to grow on me while the MTD is a dissappointment on comfort.

This is a hobby and we should all persue it the way that we enjoy it. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, November 10, 2015 - 11:50 PM.

• IHCubGuy, johndeereelfman, backwoods and 3 others have said thanks

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,415 Thanks
  • 4,880 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 07:51 AM

I got into the GT collecting by inheritance, my first was a Sears I received from my wife's uncle before he passed. I then went onto buying several more, but also have some other brands peppered in there. I am happy with my suburbans and will probably stick to them, the only other one I really want someday is a IH/CCC  X82 series.

• johndeereelfman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#12 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 157 Thanks
  • 210 posts

Posted November 14, 2015 - 08:56 AM

I collect Gilson built Montgomery Ward garden tractors.  My preferred ones are the long hood models with bug eye lights and full fenders/running boards.  I collect them because I grew up, and still have, the one my Grandpa bought new in '74.  I have since found another at an auction identical to it.  My Great Grandpa had one exactly like my Grandpa's, I would love to find it.  They are not valuable tractors by any stretch, but are valuable to me.  They are loud, vibrating, rough and tumble machines, and they take me back to my childhood.  The one I would like to find is a Hydrostatic twin to my gear drives.

• Member No: 66960
  • 869 Thanks
  • 461 posts

Posted November 15, 2015 - 11:39 AM

I am just getting into this , It is less than a year since I bought my first rescue '59' DB , I did not grow up on a farm but I have always loved tractors .

I don't regret doing it , though I have sunk more money into the thing than I will ever get out of it. It makes me smile when it starts and I go for spin.  

I will always be on the lookout for good David Bradley Suburban projects .My uncle has 2 DBs and I will inherit them no doubt .  But I have my eye out now for Panzers - And any other classic looking machines.

I chose the DB brand because It speaks to me , I will never sell this first one .

Opportunity will dictate where it goes from here ... I found a good cheap SS12 - I will fix it up and see where I am - maybe sell it or maybe keep it.

I found that these projects have brought me closer to family members and give me something to do and work towards . It is therapy I guess.

If you take the quest for profit out of it - the fun begins . :D

I am certainly hooked.

#14 backwoods OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8613
  • 2,049 Thanks
  • 2,429 posts

Posted November 15, 2015 - 12:08 PM

Ive alway been in to Gts an such from a very young age growing up at the lake my great grandpa had a cub "o" an a gravely L then a blens h14 im guessing. Thats the reason i have my 70 is it was the closest i could find to his in my price range at the time all the others ive had i kinda fell in to the deals. Since i got into the hobby ive had numerous brands an they all have been great i dont regret any of them for one minute. come spring ill be getting 2 more cubs to restore in memory of a friends dad. I also have my eye on an eco power king but i need to find out if its buyable or not yet.

#15 Orange appeal OFFLINE  

Orange appeal
  • Member No: 77395
  • 294 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted November 17, 2015 - 01:00 PM

I started with all is tractors up to at least two now,but living in city limits makeait hard to aquire more of them so I figured next best step was gts. Im not color blind I appreciate reds and greens and prarie yellows but after digging into allis and meeting fellow orange owners I've come to like them. They've always been a great brand and everyone seems to like them,they're just an all around good tractor and the same can be said for their gts. I have a b206, a 611 hydro and working on getting a b and so far im impressed. Gts fit better on my trailer and in pickups I can also usually fit both Tractor and at least two mowers on my twenty foot. I think gts are a fun hobby for anyone with limited space they also tend to be cheaper than the big boya both to buy and repair.