• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 11:23 AM

Point taken but we're talking about brakes on hydro tractors.  It's not the same case with a geared tractor.  On a hydro tractor if you let off the "go" pedal, it will come to a stop fairly quickly, even if the engine has stalled.  There's always an exception to the rules, but in general on a hydro tractor you can get by w/out a brake pedal.

Here is a post with a pic of the unit. It's a Hydro GT, a Roper
http://gardentractor...e-6#entry582798

#17 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 11:54 AM

Roper must be a completely different hydro.   The hydro on my Bolens H16XL  won't roll with the engine dead and pedal in neutral.

• MH81 said thank you

#18 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,515 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 04:52 PM

On my loader tractor, this became an issue with almost dire consequences.
Tractor ran out of gas while I was pointed downhill towards the Massey 165
I managed to get the loader down to ground level before impact with the tire, otherwise it might have punctured it... I had no alternate travel paths... I was hosed.
After that, I figured a way to tie the clutch pedal to the emergency brake. Even if it is only the left wheel, at least it's something.

Point taken but we're talking about brakes on hydro tractors. It's not the same case with a geared tractor. On a hydro tractor if you let off the "go" pedal, it will come to a stop fairly quickly, even if the engine has stalled. There's always an exception to the rules, but in general on a hydro tractor you can get by w/out a brake pedal.

MH81 your story and mine are similar , however I impacted.
nyrobbie77 put your 1250 in neutral via the selector rod , no power (as in what I described or what MH81 describes) if this is a Bolens LF with a Eaton hydro (neutral position available) your NOT going to stop it WITHOUT the brake! Bolens has left me scratching my head a few times on " what were they thinking" HOWEVER IMO (a strong IMO) not on the brake! Little ones around ? Pets? I've risked the exaggerated "life and limb " on using poor judgement on my own, accidents can happen ,a functioning SAFETY item such as a brake is cheap insurance that you've eliminated possibilities that could have serious ramifications.

Edited by WrenchinOnIt, November 13, 2015 - 04:55 PM.

• MH81, blackjackjakexxix and Austen have said thanks

#19 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 06:16 PM

nyrobbie77 put your 1250 in neutral via the selector rod , no power (as in what I described or what MH81 describes) if this is a Bolens LF with a Eaton hydro (neutral position available) your NOT going to stop it WITHOUT the brake! Bolens has left me scratching my head a few times on " what were they thinking" HOWEVER IMO (a strong IMO) not on the brake! Little ones around ? Pets? I've risked the exaggerated "life and limb " on using poor judgement on my own, accidents can happen ,a functioning SAFETY item such as a brake is cheap insurance that you've eliminated possibilities that could have serious ramifications.

Well they had the right idea with the prototype 1886. 

post-51-0-44792600-1407081999.jpg

• WrenchinOnIt said thank you

#20 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 06:38 PM

OK, weighing all the variables I think I will try and get the brake functional.  Have to get a brake disc first.  The pedal is starting to loosen up some but not near enough fore the return spring to work properly.  I can put a stronger spring on it for a while.  The pucks look good.  Have no clue why the disc was removed.  Everything else is still intact.

If  you running the tractor and stop it with the right pedal, why would you not shift to park and not stop in neutral?  Just thinking.  Still going to activate the brake if possible.

Edited by chieffan, November 13, 2015 - 06:50 PM.

• WrenchinOnIt said thank you

#21 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,515 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 07:26 PM

OK, weighing all the variables I think I will try and get the brake functional. Have to get a brake disc first. The pedal is starting to loosen up some but not near enough fore the return spring to work properly. I can put a stronger spring on it for a while. The pucks look good. Have no clue why the disc was removed. Everything else is still intact.

If you running the tractor and stop it with the right pedal, why would you not shift to park and not stop in neutral? Just thinking. Still going to activate the brake if possible.

Okay whether or not the tractor is running on the Bolens with an Eaton (ie. 1250-1477, 1886 , HT23, Duratrac w/2 sp rear end) once you shift into neutral you are free wheeling with the geared part of the hydro rearend disengaged from the hydro pump , as or if momentum is gained ( picking up speed) you will be trying to jam it into either park or drive on the 1250-1886 or high or low on the other two tractors mentioned, I'm not saying you won't get it into gear but the faster it's rolling far lessens the likelihood, you hit a functioning brake it stops the geared portion of the rear end , again the 1250-1886 that rotor is internally connected and will stop the gear movement, HT23 rotors on the hubs, same principle it stops the axle rotation, thus the gears etc, Duratrac similar brake as the 1250-1886.
If the tractor is running and rear end is in neutral the hydro pedal won't have any effect slowing or stopping it , none.
In total agreement that the vast majority of time the hydro is all that's needed to slow or stop the tractor, it's the "what if's " we want to eliminate.

Edited by WrenchinOnIt, November 13, 2015 - 07:32 PM.

• blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#22 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 07:40 PM

Not ever driver a tractor with an Eaton12,  I'm just talking from past experience with other tractors large and small, geared and hydro type.  If I have to stop a tractor on an incline, I position it so it is neutral, not pointing up or down hill to any extent.  Common sense tells me not to do that.   Still going to get the brake operational.

#23 Austen ONLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 855 Thanks
  • 567 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 08:49 PM

Yeah, I would want the brake.

While you can slow and stop the tractor with the hydro pedal alone, I've noticed that mine will free wheel pretty easily if I take my foot off the hydro pedal for any reason on an incline. 

• blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#24 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 09:10 PM

I have to guess the reason the disk is missing is the splines on the disk probably got stripped,seen that several times,as far as putting it in park on the early LF's,I have seen a worn chisel pin fail many times when holding the tractor back on an incline

Edited by blackjackjakexxix, November 13, 2015 - 09:17 PM.

#25 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 09:24 PM

Still soaking the splines as they were real cruddy.  Will see what happens when I get them cleaned up.  If they are gone will have to come up with some other way to hold the disk to the shaft.

#26 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted November 14, 2015 - 11:17 PM

I probably got the spline part if you need one,most of the time the splines on the disk get stripped

#27 nyrobbie77 ONLINE  

nyrobbie77

• Member No: 2163
  • 90 Thanks
  • 75 posts

Posted November 17, 2015 - 09:49 AM

This IS a hydro. I will find a link yo the thread on it.

I have not seen a hydro with a clutch pedal before?  Your post you mention tying the clutch to the emergency brake pedal.  That is where my confusion is coming from. 

#28 nyrobbie77 ONLINE  

nyrobbie77

• Member No: 2163
  • 90 Thanks
  • 75 posts

Posted November 17, 2015 - 09:52 AM

As I said before, there is always an exception to the rule. 

#29 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted November 17, 2015 - 04:38 PM

I have not seen a hydro with a clutch pedal before?  Your post you mention tying the clutch to the emergency brake pedal.  That is where my confusion is coming from. 

I was referring to my G12.  I started that confusion and I apologize for it.  Should not have traded horses in the middle of a stream so to speak.

• nyrobbie77 said thank you