28 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted November 10, 2015 - 05:48 PM

After I got the tractor home and started working on it I discovered the brake disc had been removed quit some time back.  Have not had any luck finding one.  Just how important is it to have a brake with a hydro?  I see no way of locking it on and there is the park position for the hydro itself.  What are the feelings out there with you LF guys.

#2 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,214 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted November 10, 2015 - 05:54 PM

I have never used it. 

• chieffan said thank you

#3 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,516 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted November 10, 2015 - 06:16 PM

Well it's the brake... not to be mister obvious, but without it you won't have one. The location of the brake pedal on the large frames aren't that user friendly in the use of, the hydro and the treadle pedal makes the use/need of the break not as important , as you use it you'll find you just reverse pedal direction to slow or stop.... HOWERVER, speaking from past experience IF you are in neutral and let's say you are rolling down a grade because you just wanted to push it out of the way you start picking up speed , heading for your wife's NEW! GMC Yukon XL ( in what can only be described as a brain... lapse) you can't jam it in park or drive ( HT 23 suffers the same) Now brake... what brake "no got o" SHI-STA!!.

I probably have the disc , I will hunt if you give me a little time ,lots of stuff to look thru.
  • boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#4 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,415 Thanks
  • 2,118 posts

Posted November 10, 2015 - 07:24 PM

There is site sponsors on this site that deal in parts new and used. Might want to try them I know I have a couple here.
  • MH81 and chieffan have said thanks

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted November 10, 2015 - 07:54 PM

Well it's the brake... not to be mister obvious, but without it you won't have one. The location of the brake pedal on the large frames aren't that user friendly in the use of, the hydro and the treadle pedal makes the use/need of the break not as important , as you use it you'll find you just reverse pedal direction to slow or stop.... HOWERVER, speaking from past experience IF you are in neutral and let's say you are rolling down a grade because you just wanted to push it out of the way you start picking up speed , heading for your wife's NEW! GMC Yukon XL ( in what can only be described as a brain... lapse) you can't jam it in park or drive ( HT 23 suffers the same) Now brake... what brake "no got o" SHI-STA!!.

I probably have the disc , I will hunt if you give me a little time ,lots of stuff to look thru.

The majority of our property has good drainage, in other words a fairly steep grade.  With all the other tractors I make it a point not to stop heading up or down grade.  Turn a go across the grade and no rolling problem.  Have a G12 that has no brake at all, never had one and have not seen any way to utilize one.  Not even in the parts break down.  Not ever running a large frame I though it better to ask.

#6 blackjackjakexxix OFFLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted November 10, 2015 - 08:28 PM

Not sure what you mean about the brake on the G-12,there is a brake assembly,in the manual on here figure 5,parts 43 and 46 I believe,show you what you need,2 brake shoes,I have the brake shoes if you need them

Edited by blackjackjakexxix, November 10, 2015 - 08:30 PM.

• WrenchinOnIt and chieffan have said thanks

#7 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 08:11 AM

Not sure what you mean about the brake on the G-12,there is a brake assembly,in the manual on here figure 5,parts 43 and 46 I believe,show you what you need,2 brake shoes,I have the brake shoes if you need them

I should have been more specific.  There is a brake, actuated by the parking brake lever on the tunnel cover.  That part does work fairly well for parking but nothing attached to the left foot pedal. When the belt tension is released it is free wheeling on an incline, or coast to a stop on level.

#8 nyrobbie77 OFFLINE  

nyrobbie77

• Member No: 2163
  • 90 Thanks
  • 75 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 08:39 AM

which tractor are you asking about?  Your thread title states "LF" which I'm assuming you mean Large Frame.  In your signature you have a 1476 listed but then you go on to talk about your G12. Which one are you asking for the brake for?

If it's for the 1476, I'd say it's mostly unnecessary.  We have used the brake on our 1250 (same as 1476) only a handful of times since it was purchased new by my grandfather.  With the hydro and park feature on the trans, there is almost never a need to actually use the brake. 

#9 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 02:03 PM

Sorry for the confusion but I was asking about the brake on the LF.  I just mentioned that on the G12 I have has no brake linkage between the clutch release pedal and the brake assembly so it basically has only a parking brake.

#10 framesteer ONLINE  

framesteer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11301
  • 338 Thanks
  • 165 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 04:28 PM

Brakes on hydro machines is an interesting topic.  For most hydro powered machines, there will be no brake mechanism any more effective in stopping the machine than throwing the hydro in reverse (assuming you are going forward).  

However, if the hydro fails (no hydro control in forward or reverse) when you are  going down a slope, you will be very thankful for a brake mechanism.  For safety reasons, there will always be a braking mechanism on the machine, whether it is ever used is a different story.

#11 nyrobbie77 OFFLINE  

nyrobbie77

• 90 Thanks
  • 75 posts

Posted November 12, 2015 - 09:14 AM

Brakes on hydro machines is an interesting topic.  For most hydro powered machines, there will be no brake mechanism any more effective in stopping the machine than throwing the hydro in reverse (assuming you are going forward).  

However, if the hydro fails (no hydro control in forward or reverse) when you are  going down a slope, you will be very thankful for a brake mechanism.  For safety reasons, there will always be a braking mechanism on the machine, whether it is ever used is a different story.

On my 1250, as mentioned above, we've pretty much never used the brake.  The hydro does all the braking I've ever needed. The only times we've used the brake is to hold it stopped on a grade for a moment before going again.  Generally just using the park feature of trans is all that is needed to hold it in place. 

Similar with my GTX18.  The only time I've used the brake is to hold the tractor in place.  There is no "park" feature, so the brake is pressed and the parking brake lever is slid into place. 

I think for general driving, you don't need brakes to slow the tractor as this can be done just by letting off the hydro pedal.  You only need some sort of park feature. 

#12 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted November 12, 2015 - 06:16 PM

The brake pedal is real stiff yet so until that get free, if it ever does guess I won't get to excited about finding a brake disc.  But is one happens along and a reasonable price will probably grab  it.

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,330 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted November 12, 2015 - 07:31 PM

On my loader tractor, this became an issue with almost dire consequences.
Tractor ran out of gas while I was pointed downhill towards the Massey 165

I managed to get the loader down to ground level before impact with the tire, otherwise it might have punctured it... I had no alternate travel paths... I was hosed.

After that, I figured a way to tie the clutch pedal to the emergency brake. Even if it is only the left wheel, at least it's something.
  • WrenchinOnIt said thank you

#14 nyrobbie77 OFFLINE  

nyrobbie77

• 90 Thanks
  • 75 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 08:52 AM

On my loader tractor, this became an issue with almost dire consequences.
Tractor ran out of gas while I was pointed downhill towards the Massey 165

I managed to get the loader down to ground level before impact with the tire, otherwise it might have punctured it... I had no alternate travel paths... I was hosed.

After that, I figured a way to tie the clutch pedal to the emergency brake. Even if it is only the left wheel, at least it's something.

Point taken but we're talking about brakes on hydro tractors.  It's not the same case with a geared tractor.  On a hydro tractor if you let off the "go" pedal, it will come to a stop fairly quickly, even if the engine has stalled.  There's always an exception to the rules, but in general on a hydro tractor you can get by w/out a brake pedal. 

#15 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,330 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 11:16 AM

Point taken but we're talking about brakes on hydro tractors.  It's not the same case with a geared tractor.  On a hydro tractor if you let off the "go" pedal, it will come to a stop fairly quickly, even if the engine has stalled.  There's always an exception to the rules, but in general on a hydro tractor you can get by w/out a brake pedal.

This IS a hydro. I will find a link yo the thread on it.