Garden Tractor Forums banner

k181 kohler 8hp bad kick back when trying to start anyone know why this may be happening ?

5K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  Bob S K181 
#1 ·
HI my name is bob i am new to GT Talk and not sure if i am in the rite forum , if any one knows the answer to why my k181 engien is kicking back wen trying to start to the point of pulling the hand starter rope so hard it hurt my shoulder leaving me afraid to even a temp trying to start it again

#10 ·
Welcome to GTT, Bob !

As others have already said, ignition timing and/or valve timing can cause kick-back.

However, your starting method may be causing what you are experiencing.

If you are pulling the rope or recoil and the kick-back is occurring mid-pull, I think this is more of a procedure error.

On any engine with a rope-start or recoil start, when attempting to start it, pull the rope gently until compression resistance is felt. .....Wrap the rope further on the pulley or let the recoil retract. .....THEN, give a quick, firm pull to get it to start.

If you are doing this already, then you have a timing issue.

#12 ·
Thank you so much I am new as you prob;y know , and stilling learning how to get around in here , with that said what nice group of ppl i was shocked to see all the reply s I am a guy who use to have a really nice log splinter a old licketty splitter with a k181 kohler engien that ran great like a bear , till i messed with it sigh i am so lost, The story on how any why this happened may be long, and being new to here , i am not sure if its ok to post in this part of your forums , in short i dont want to brake any rules , thing is i heat my home with wood and i am in a bad way again thank you for replying

#13 ·
Thank you so much I am new as you prob;y know , and stilling learning how to get around in here , with that said what nice group of ppl i was shocked to see all the reply s I am a guy who use to have a really nice log splinter a old licketty splitter with a k181 kohler engien that ran great like a bear , till i messed with it sigh i am so lost, The story on how any why this happened may be long, and being new to here , i am not sure if its ok to post in this part of your forums , in short i dont want to brake any rules , thing is i heat my home with wood and i am in a bad way again thank you for replying
Where are you in NJ? ....If you're close by, I may be able to help.

#21 ·
OK here is the story ill do my best to keep it short , when i first got this k181 kohler engine it ran for ,about a year , it didnt come with a recoil starter ,and to start it i would wrap a rope around it and pull to start with no kick back notice . which could of been due to not ever having a hand pull recoil starter . any way it always started fast ran ok , then one season it back fired and died , i tore it apart found a haft shell intake valve keeper off and found the cam broke in half . I cleaned and installed a used k181 cam i got from ebay new rings new gasket set and put it all back together and it ran like a bear idled nice for 4 years if not 5 i was so proud as i never did a rebuild before . well then i got tired of trying to start it with a wrap around rope its not easy when cold out , so i got my self a recoil hand starter off ebay installed it next thing i know i have kick back to the point of hurting my shoulder . I found out my paul springs were missing i went after finding a kit on eBay i installed and still has a kickback , some one told me it was the carburetor dumping fuel so i got a new float needle installed try to start it nothing no start ,and i do see fuel coming out of the carb big time. i then put back my old needle in the carb try to start and there is no spark now at this time i am going nuts so i say to my self start from number 1 check the compression not that it has anything to do with spark anyway i get my Snap-On compression pull over the engine nothing 0 like how can this even be ? anyway i pulled the head to see if the head gasket was bad as well to see if the valves open and close. i did find the head gasket in half one half on engine block other on the head.With this said until finding gt talk i never knew there was an ignition timing adjustment made somewhere on the points and throughout the years i did clean and rest the points and possibly knocked it out of timing.

#22 ·
AT this point i have new points on way as the old ones look beat new condenser and a new head gasket all part are OEM what i cant understand is it use to start on 3 pull s ran so good idle nice like what happen to the spark ? and how can there be no compression ? as far as the kick back that i see could be do to the timing or even the way i puled the recoil starter , after reading this post so beside my self here

#24 ·
Bob, relax we will get you through this. Download the manual I referred to in my previous post. Read through it. It will tell you the specific information that you need. Some highlights: The adjustment of the points gap sets the timing, the connecting rod requires a special double torquing when installing it, the valve gaps effect the ease of starting and how well the engine runs. When you need parts, NAPA is usually the least expensive place but some of their stores don't want to bother with small engine parts.

Once you have read the manual, get started on the diassembly since you said that you need to replace the head gasket. With the head off, take pics of the head and cylinder and post them. Let us see what you are up against. Chances are that valve lapping, valve gap adjusting, and decarboning the head are needed. The head may need to be planed to get it flat.

As that great Canadian philosiphor, Red Green, says " we are all in this together". Good Luck, Rick

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
Good News well good for me anyway lol she s back up running and like a bear may i add and its thanks to Gt talk who found me

Bruce Dorsi who helped me over the phone steep by steep ty Bruce as well a few others in here who helped . there a oil leak do to needing valve cover gaskets , as well the same event when turning it off , witch i was calling kick back with a hand recoil starter , witch is now off and a mounted starter in its place . in short when the engien is turn off it goes what i think is back wards only enough to ding the starter . maybe its normal i dnt know just fear hurting the starter drive gear or the flywheel gear its not a bang but a true ding , any idea what this is ? again thanks to all of you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.