Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

k181 kohler 8hp bad kick back when trying to start anyone know why this may be happening ?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 Bob S K181 OFFLINE  

Bob S K181
  • Member No: 77438
  • 5 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 06:23 PM

rite now i am out about  $ 267  not counting the parts comeing  but like i said there more to the story  a and why and were the money was spent  its a long story  

#17 Bob S K181 OFFLINE  

Bob S K181
  • 5 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 06:26 PM

sorry about the confusing flywheel  post    , what i meant is the flywheel key ok       

Edited by Bob S K181, November 11, 2015 - 10:15 PM.

#18 Bob S K181 OFFLINE  

Bob S K181
  • 5 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 06:27 PM

NJ

Edited by Bob S K181, November 11, 2015 - 10:14 PM.

#19 Bob S K181 OFFLINE  

Bob S K181
  • 5 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 06:31 PM

IF  this is a tractor form i am so sorry  and i do apologize   I   do have two   old tractors  just  saying   

#20 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 07:30 PM

Hey, your okay here. Breathe easy. We give a lot of slack. What happened to your engine? You went from a kick back to buying a lot of parts.

• Bob S K181 said thank you

#21 Bob S K181 OFFLINE  

Bob S K181
  • 5 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 08:53 PM

OK  here is the story  ill do my best to keep it short ,  when i first got this  k181 kohler  engine  it ran  for ,about a year  , it didnt  come with a recoil starter  ,and to start it i would wrap a rope around it and pull to start  with no kick back notice .  which could of been due to not  ever having a hand pull recoil starter . any way it always  started fast  ran ok  , then one  season it back fired and died  , i tore it apart  found a  haft shell  intake valve keeper off  and  found the cam broke in half .   I  cleaned  and  installed a used  k181 cam i got from ebay  new rings new gasket set and put it all back  together and  it ran like a bear idled nice for 4 years if not 5  i was so proud as i never did a rebuild before . well then i got tired of trying to start it with a wrap around rope its not  easy when cold out , so i got my self a recoil hand starter off ebay  installed it next thing i know i have kick back to the point of hurting my shoulder . I found out my paul springs were missing i went after finding a kit on eBay i installed and still has a kickback  , some one told me it was the carburetor dumping fuel  so i got a new float needle installed try to start it nothing no start  ,and i do see fuel coming out of the carb big time. i then put back my old needle in the carb   try to start and  there is no spark  now  at this time i am going nuts   so  i say to my self start from number 1 check the  compression  not  that it has anything to do with spark anyway i get my Snap-On  compression  pull over the engine  nothing  0  like how  can this even be  ? anyway i pulled the head to see if the head gasket was bad as well to see if  the valves open and close.    i did find the head gasket in half one half on engine block other on the head.With this said until finding gt talk i never knew there was an ignition timing adjustment made somewhere on the points and throughout the years i did clean and rest the points and possibly knocked it out of timing.  

• boyscout862 and LilysDad have said thanks

#22 Bob S K181 OFFLINE  

Bob S K181
  • 5 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 09:05 PM

AT this point  i have new points on way  as the old ones look beat new condenser  and a new head gasket all part are OEM   what  i cant understand is  it use to start on 3 pull s ran so good idle nice like what happen to the spark ? and how  can there be no compression  ? as far as the kick back that i see could be do  to the timing  or even the way i puled the recoil starter ,   after reading this post       so beside my self here 

#23 Bob S K181 OFFLINE  

Bob S K181
  • 5 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 09:08 PM

the coil inside under  the flywheel  is there a way to test it  ?  at this point  as you can see i have no clue ty for  being so nice 

#24 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,805 Thanks
  • 7,546 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 06:49 AM

Bob, relax we will get you through this. Download the manual I referred to in my previous post. Read through it. It will tell you the specific information that you need. Some highlights: The adjustment of the points gap sets the timing, the connecting rod requires a special double torquing when installing it, the valve gaps effect the ease of starting and how well the engine runs. When you need parts, NAPA is usually the least expensive place but some of their stores don't want to bother with small engine parts.

Once you have read the manual, get started on the diassembly since you said that you need to replace the head gasket. With the head off, take pics of the head and cylinder and post them. Let us see what you are up against. Chances are that valve lapping, valve gap adjusting, and decarboning the head are needed. The head may need to be planed to get it flat.

As that great Canadian philosiphor, Red Green, says " we are all in this together". Good Luck, Rick

• LilysDad, HANKG and Bob S K181 have said thanks

#25 Bob S K181 OFFLINE  

Bob S K181
  • 5 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 05:26 PM

IF   ok  I  like to take a moment and say thanks  to every one , its so rear to see  so many nice ppl  ,  I  use to think there were all gone till i found this place  again thanks  

• drbish, KC9KAS and LilysDad have said thanks

#26 Bob S K181 OFFLINE  

Bob S K181
  • 5 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted November 17, 2015 - 08:09 PM

Good News well good for me anyway lol  she s back up running and like a bear may i add  and its thanks to Gt talk  who found me 

Bruce Dorsi  who helped me over the phone steep by steep ty Bruce as well a few  others in here who helped . there a oil leak do to needing valve cover gaskets  , as well the same event when turning it off , witch i was calling kick back with a hand recoil starter , witch is now off and a mounted starter in its place .  in short when the engien is turn off it goes what i think is back wards only enough to ding the starter . maybe its normal i dnt know just fear hurting the starter drive gear or the flywheel gear  its not  a bang  but a true ding  , any idea  what this is ?  again thanks  to all of you   

Edited by Bob S K181, November 17, 2015 - 08:10 PM.