• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 engineguy63 OFFLINE  

engineguy63
  • Member No: 59522
  • 71 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted November 09, 2015 - 10:07 PM

OK Guys, Been looking for a tractor to mow my lawn and maybe blow some snow and maybe some day put a bucket on. I have a smaller yard (1/2) acre and I always go over the top with overkill. I currently mow this yard with a 48" X mark, and it stays all year with the mulch baffles and end of season I switch it back to bagging.  Now having a lot of back trouble I am thinking of riding. I have seen a few 2000 series tractors out there for sale, but for not a whole lot more I think I can put myself in a decent 3240. Are these all the same other than deck size .......all have capability of a 2 stage snow blower, bucket etc....or where there factory options that I have to pay attention to so that I can only use certain implements???? I am guessing that these machines where pretty much all the same and you can add any number of attachments, but I don't want to pick something up that is overly limited.  I would also need to know if they can do a good job with a mulch kit.   Thanks for your input!!!!!!

Edited by engineguy63, November 09, 2015 - 10:13 PM.

#2 Oak OFFLINE  

Oak

• Member No: 5131
  • 7 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted November 09, 2015 - 10:43 PM

Engineguy63, I would go for the 3240 or any 3000 series tractor. The are different then any of the other Cubs built so you will need to stick with 3000 series implements because all of the attachments are shaft driven. If your looking at a 3240 do a search on the locking differential issues they can have. I still think they are the best mowing machines Cub Cadet ever built. I have seen some pictures of a FEL on them but I don't think they are built anymore unless you can find a used one. I don't know how well they mulch but I have a fan assisted bagger that works awesome.

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,770 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted November 10, 2015 - 06:40 AM

I don't have any knowledge of the  Cubs but, in general, I use a bucket loader to save my back, several times a week. It is a separate large machine and it is great to have it available when I need it. Currently the clutch collapsed so, I have to use my TLB which is a bit large for some areas. Once you have one, you will learn to layout projects based upon the loader. Good Luck, Rick

#4 TimW OFFLINE  

TimW
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10778
  • 367 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted November 10, 2015 - 08:12 AM

I have had several 3000 series Cub's.  I think the 3 means 3000 series, the second two digits are the engine.  I think the 3240 may be the largest with a 24hp engine.  They are definitely a whole step up from the 2000 series.  Some 3000's had locking differential and some didn't.  I had to swap out locking transaxle with a non locking one due to it shattering the lock mechanism.  The locking pedal is on the left side foot board.  Dont ever try to engage it with wheels moving.  With power steering and size, they are definitely one of the smoother mowing machines out there.  Some seem to be a real bargain for what you get.  I had a two way snow blade and it was smooth as silk and had the quick attach.  I would never count on using one for a front loader, they still seem kind of light in true MTD fashion, and the loader would probably cost more than the tractor.  I also rarely see the rear lifts on them.  

#5 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,298 Thanks
  • 2,332 posts

Posted November 10, 2015 - 11:14 AM

1/2 an acre? I would want the 3240 for it's power steering.I see alot of turning and backing up in your future lol.The 2000 series are good mowing machines but the 3000 series are built a bit heavier.

Even though the 2000 and 3000 series are not built any where near as heavy as an older cub with proper maintenance they will both last a long time.

I had a HDS 2165 with over 1600 hours on it and it still ran good but the transaxle was starting to get weak.Note this tractor was used as a commercial mower for a local Hotel so it has always had regular tune ups,fluid changes and was kept Clean and stored inside.

Attachments are a bit pricey and hard to find for both around Pennsylvania.Especially the 2 stage snow blower.I've seen them sell for $600-$800 used.

#6 TokyoDrift99 OFFLINE  

TokyoDrift99
  • Member No: 59603
  • 80 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted November 10, 2015 - 08:12 PM

3000 series cubs are a great machine. Very smooth, comfortable, and rugged. I owned one for a while and ended up parting it out, bought it for next to nothing and beat on it hard, I was trying to break it but never succeeded. The power steering was my favorite part!