Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

What can you tell me about the Wheel Horse 416H and 520H?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 16, 2010 - 07:03 AM

I keep coming across one or the other in my search for tractors and I really like the looks of the 416 and 520. I just don't know anything about them, I know they are not that old but they are an older garden tractor.
  • DonaldSync said thank you

#2 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted March 16, 2010 - 07:33 AM

When I am checking out a tractor, I usually have a look here.......helps quite a bit to determine what you are going to look at and if its worth going.

TractorData.com - information on all makes and models of lawn and garden tractors

#3 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted March 16, 2010 - 06:05 PM

A friend of mine has one, 416-8 heavy duty tractor, cast front axle and trany, his is a 3 speed with hi low range, wheel horse counts reverse as a speed (416-8). 16hp onan engine fuel tank under the seat, has a 42" 3 blade mower deck. Had it more than 10years now minimal problems. Hydro would be better his is a little slow in 2nd, too fast in 3rd for grass cutting.

#4 Guest_hooligan_*

Guest_hooligan_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 16, 2010 - 07:24 PM

When I am checking out a tractor, I usually have a look here.......helps quite a bit to determine what you are going to look at and if its worth going.

TractorData.com - information on all makes and models of lawn and garden tractors

I look there too, but they are usually poor on garden tractor info I want, but when I look there for others, it seems to have more. The 520H is a beast, newer than I like, but tough and well built, You'd like the 500 series, it has a better mule drive system.

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 16, 2010 - 07:39 PM

I was curious because i have been coming across some of them here and there. I am mainly a Massey, Cub Cadet, and Bolens fan but I do like the looks of the Wheel Horse 416's and 520's just didn't know much about them.

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 29, 2010 - 08:09 AM

I don't know much about they,but they look pretty tough.

#7 Guest_hooligan_*

Guest_hooligan_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 30, 2010 - 06:40 AM

They really are, but I'm not a big fan of horizontal engine that sit sideways and run from belts, like the Wheel Horse, Sears, and John Deere, 200 series

#8 lawnguy456 OFFLINE  

lawnguy456

• Member No: 407
  • 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted May 05, 2010 - 02:24 PM

520's are super tought. Most 520's are hydrostatic drives. There were only 200 made with 8 speed transmissions. Some of the 520's are better built than others although both are built are tough buggers. the better built one has a swept forward front axle. You can tell this because the front wheel bearings have a metal dust cover over the bearings in the center of the wheel. this was to allow a 60" mower deck to be installed. The mule drives for the 520 are the same as all other wheel horse garden tractors except those that came with the 60" deck. Those are different. The motors used on the 520's are twin onans. Good motor expensive parts. There was one year of 520's that had a gear reduction system built into the steering system. Dang nice tractor. I call them 30 year tractors. That's about what you can expect them to run trouble free for the most part.

#9 dyt4000 OFFLINE  

dyt4000

• Contributor
  • Member No: 405
  • 17 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted May 05, 2010 - 02:33 PM

I'd compare Wheel Horse tractors to any from the day when they built good garden tractors! It is as capable and dependable as a Cub Cadet from IH.

#10 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 05, 2010 - 03:11 PM

I'd compare Wheel Horse tractors to any from the day when they built good garden tractors! It is as capable and dependable as a Cub Cadet from IH.

Defnitely! I used to own a GT14, and a couple C120 Auto's. Great machines!

#11 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 05, 2010 - 03:17 PM

I can't believe some of the limited numbers in the varieties of 520's. That might explain why it always seem like people ask a good bit for them. I really like the looks of the 520 and I like the looks of the older ones. I really like that 857 dyt has.

#12 dyt4000 ONLINE  

dyt4000

• Contributor
  • Member No: 405
  • 17 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted May 05, 2010 - 04:34 PM

You really need to add one to your stable....you KNOW you want to! Just go towards the light...LOL

#13 JohnnyLightning OFFLINE  

JohnnyLightning

• Member No: 709
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted June 27, 2010 - 05:21 PM

I have a 50th Anniversary Edition, bought it new, use it to this day with a 60in deck, mow about 3 acres every week, blow snow with every winter and have a grader blade to take care of the driveway. Have over a thousand hours on it and it never cost me a penny except for gas and general maintenance. Best tractor ever, does anything including pulling out the father-in-laws Sears when he gets it stuck! Love it, will never get rid of it.