• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bmxstreet15 OFFLINE  

Bmxstreet15

• Member No: 2631
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted April 18, 2011 - 01:22 PM

Hi there, I am new here. Just picked up a MF 1450 with a snapper snowblower. It runs and drives but needs some work. I started looking for parts but cant seem to find a source. The major concern is the leaking trans. I drained the water soaked atf out of it yesterday and replaced it with 15w40 oil. In about 15 minutes of operation, it leaked about a pint. It looks like it may even be pushing it out the filler tube. It also looks like the input shaft seal is leaking. Other that that, it just has cosmetic problems. Do any of you have a good source for parts for these old machines?

#2 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted April 18, 2011 - 01:40 PM

Bmxstreet15 welcome to GTtalk

I would suggest a good Tractor/Hydrauilic oil that meets J20A specs and a new filter. If it was that bad it should be drained again anyway. You may be foaming the oil if it coming out the filler or it may be over full. If you do not have a dipstick there is a level plug in the rear of the axle just below the filler tube.

I used 15w40 in my skid steer and have to run an anti-foaming additive.
Any other leak should just be a matter of find and repair.

#3 Bmxstreet15 OFFLINE  

Bmxstreet15

• 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted April 18, 2011 - 01:49 PM

I plan on changing it again this week, the manual called for atf, I know some run diesel oil in them, but would atf be the best or is hyd oil better? I need to find a place that sells parts so I can get started on it. Thaks for the advice!

#4 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted April 18, 2011 - 02:01 PM

ATF DexIII is fine also. Never plain Hydraulic oil. Tractor/hydraulic is different. It is used in Tractors with wet brakes and auto shifts and has a high EP rating for the drive train gearing.

#5 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted April 18, 2011 - 04:17 PM

I plan on changing it again this week, the manual called for atf, I know some run diesel oil in them, but would atf be the best or is hyd oil better? I need to find a place that sells parts so I can get started on it. Thaks for the advice!

Start off by going to agcopartsbooks.com
sign in as guest
get your part numbers
Then go to a site like jackssmall engines, or partstree.com
Also give your MF dealer a call, once you've got some part #'s.

Edited by IamSherwood, April 18, 2011 - 04:19 PM.
typo

#6 Bmxstreet15 OFFLINE  

Bmxstreet15

• 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted April 20, 2011 - 10:26 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I tore into the wiring nightmare last night. I got it figured outfor the most part. The only thing throwing me for a loop is that the diagram I have shows 4 connections on my pto switch but the actual switch has 5 contacts. Anyone know whats going on there? I will be getting someparts in the next week or two. Hoping to have her done and looking like new by fall.

#7 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted April 20, 2011 - 11:32 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I tore into the wiring nightmare last night. I got it figured outfor the most part. The only thing throwing me for a loop is that the diagram I have shows 4 connections on my pto switch but the actual switch has 5 contacts. Anyone know whats going on there? I will be getting someparts in the next week or two. Hoping to have her done and looking like new by fall.

2 are used to power the clutch and the other 2 prevent starter engagement if it is on. The 5th is not used as far as I know.

The diagram is here.
http://gardentractor...62912c1fadb722d

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 20, 2011 - 12:14 PM

Ducky beat me too it :D

He is right though, only 4 of the contacts are used on the pto switch. I am pretty sure all of the seals are available from places like jacks small engined or parts tree like already mentioned. I have had pretty good luck getting stuff from the dealer also.