• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted November 08, 2015 - 06:55 PM

I got the new head gasket installed on the TRA10d  Wisconsin in my 1054. It fired up on the second try, ran ok, but blowing a lot of black smoke and working the throttle had no effect on the engine speed. I started screwing in the main jet a bit at a time and it started running better. I finally got it to where it was running great at full throttle, idling smooth at min throttle and would pick the front wheels off the ground if I let the clutch out too fast at full throttle, 3rd low. The problem is that it runs great for an hour or so, then the engine starts so stumble, almost like it is out of gas, then just quits and won't  restart. I let it sit for about an hour after the first time, then it started back up and ran fine for about another hour, then quit again. I am going out in a few minutes to see if it will start again. Anyone have any ideas what is causing this?

Thanks, Jim

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,750 Thanks
  • 7,522 posts

Posted November 08, 2015 - 07:09 PM

It is probably a fuel problem but could be a coil or condensor overheating. Check the fuel flow first because it is the easiest. The first test is the gas cap. If the vent is plugged the fuel can't flow out the bottom. Loosen the cap and run it. If it doesn't die, you've found the problem. If it does, check the filter(s) and the fuel line. Fuel hoses deteriorate and swell from the ethanol in gas. Let us know how you do. Most of the engine manuals have pretty good troubleshooting guides. Good Luck, Rick
  • CanadianHobbyFarmer said thank you

#3 Chubien OFFLINE  

Chubien
  • Member No: 61561
  • 604 Thanks
  • 381 posts

Posted November 08, 2015 - 08:57 PM

I agree with fuel delivery issue being likely, although one hour is a long time to run for a fuel delivery problem. Have you changed your fuel line? Could it be clogged or pinched?
I have had fuel delivery issued at the fuel valve, fuel line and the 90° elbow going I to the carb. Make sure to check the whole line.

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted November 09, 2015 - 08:37 AM

I agree with the others, either fuel or ignition , I'd check those first then if your still having trouble you may have a valve issue

#5 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted November 09, 2015 - 05:36 PM

Thanks guys, I am thinking fuel issue as well, but I put a new gas line on it when the head gasket went. I thought that was a fuel issue as well at first, because it started to stumble then died. I removed the old line, which ran behind the front shroud. I rerouted the new one under the front shroud to keep it cooler and also added an inline filter as well. I did take the carb off as well at that time and cleaned a lot of crap out of it. Maybe I did not get it all. When I tried it last night it did not start, but it was dark by that time, so I did not put too much effort into it.

When it first died after the head gasket replacement, I was going to check for spark right away, but got interrupted. It was about an hour before I got back to it and then of course it started right up, so it could possibly be a heat related spark issue as well. 

Jim.

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted November 09, 2015 - 05:38 PM

Got an inline spark tester?

You can run the engine with it on and then you can see in real time if the spark gets weak or goes away.

• boyscout862 and CanadianHobbyFarmer have said thanks

#7 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted November 09, 2015 - 06:25 PM

I have one that clamps to a ground and you put the plug wire onto it. I checked a few minutes ago and I have spark, but the engine won't fire. So I will be checking the fuel next. With my work schedule I am leaving home in the dark and have maybe half an hour of daylight left when I get home, so I don't have a lot of time to work on it through the week. The pigs broke out today and tore up the feed room in the barn, so I was rounding them up, fixing the electric fence, cleaning up the mess they made, then trying to convince the chickens that it was safe to go back in the barn. By that time it was dark, which actually works ok when checking for spark, but I have no ambition to dig further into it tonight.

Thanks, Jim

#8 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted November 17, 2015 - 07:05 PM

I had some time on the weekend to have another look at it, If somebody can edit in some emoticons here, add about 10 of the guy banging his head against the brick wall. I had the new inline fuel filter installed backwards.  Runs perfect when you put it together the right way. :wallbanging:

Jim

Edited by KennyP, November 18, 2015 - 06:34 AM.

• KennyP, Chubien and 29 Chev have said thanks

#9 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,100 Thanks
  • 1,196 posts

Posted November 17, 2015 - 09:12 PM

Welcome to the world of " I thought I checked that - OOPS!"

Glad to hear you got it running ok

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,383 Thanks
  • 39,650 posts

Posted November 18, 2015 - 06:36 AM

I had some time on the weekend to have another look at it, If somebody can edit in some emoticons here, add about 10 of the guy banging his head against the brick wall. I had the new inline fuel filter installed backwards.  Runs perfect when you put it together the right way. :wallbanging:

Jim

That's almost as bad as putting on one that is too small!

#11 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,166 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted November 18, 2015 - 08:19 AM

I put a new gas line on it when the head gasket went. I thought that was a fuel issue as well at first, because it started to stumble then died. I removed the old line, which ran behind the front shroud. I rerouted the new one under the front shroud to keep it cooler and also added an inline filter as well.

Jim.

Hopefully, everything is OK for you now.

If your problem returns, I would be suspicious of your fuel line routing.   ....The original routing of the fuel hose through the shroud is actually better for cooling, because it gets cooled by the air coming from the flywheel before it goes to the block's cooling fins.  ...That is the reason for the original routing. 

Also, by looping the fuel hose down & under the shroud, it is possible to create a "trap" condition, which can result in fuel starvation under certain conditions.

Unless your inline filter has a built-in check valve, or is clogged with debris, fuel should be able to pass through either direction.  ....If the tractor would run for one hour with the filter in "backwards,"  why would it stop after that ???

Edited by Bruce Dorsi, November 18, 2015 - 08:23 AM.

#12 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted November 18, 2015 - 06:24 PM

Thanks for the replies and advice guys. Where I have the hose routed now stays relatively cool to the touch even after an hour of running (ie you can hold your hand there without burning yourself) so I will keep it like that for now. As for the inline filter, it is marked with an arrow to indicate the correct direction of flow, most of the ones that I have used are. They do flow when put in backwards, but the flow is restricted somewhat. Crap in the filter could be a factor here as well, the machine sat unused for a few years and whatever deposits that formed in the tank and carb seem to be coming loose. The filter I installed is a clear one and I can see crap in it. I have also had to take the carb off twice now to clean it. I am hoping to get time this winter to do a full rebuild on it, but we will see.

Jim

#13 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted November 18, 2015 - 06:28 PM

Thanks for the replies and advice guys. Where I have the hose routed now stays relatively cool to the touch even after an hour of running (ie you can hold your hand there without burning yourself) so I will keep it like that for now. As for the inline filter, it is marked with an arrow to indicate the correct direction of flow, most of the ones that I have used are. They do flow when put in backwards, but the flow is restricted somewhat. Crap in the filter could be a factor here as well, the machine sat unused for a few years and whatever deposits that formed in the tank and carb seem to be coming loose. The filter I installed is a clear one and I can see crap in it. I have also had to take the carb off twice now to clean it. I am hoping to get time this winter to do a full rebuild on it, but we will see.

Jim

Do you have the correct fuel valve on your tank? The OEM type ones had a very fine screen that catches everything and you should be getting nothing in the inline with that in place.

Originally that's all they came with.

#14 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted November 18, 2015 - 06:38 PM

I'm not sure if it is the correct one or not. I can take a picture and post it this weekend. I am currently working from sun up to sun down and have no lights in the garden shed right now, so pictures will have to wait. I did not see a screen in the tank though and there was no filter in the line either, that is why I decided to install one. That was also a factor in rerouting the line as there was no room to fit it in with the original routing.

Jim

Edit : I forgot, I took some pictures when I fixed the leaking tank. I threw in a gratuitous picture of my pigs as well, just because.

Attached Thumbnails

• 009.jpg
  • 002.jpg

Edited by CanadianHobbyFarmer, November 18, 2015 - 07:36 PM.

#15 Chubien OFFLINE  

Chubien
  • Member No: 61561
  • 604 Thanks
  • 381 posts

Posted November 18, 2015 - 08:33 PM

That looks like an OEM valve but I bet you the screen is damaged, you can see if its there just by looking through the fill cap with a flashlight.

That model has a plastic tank ... I'm surprised you're getting so much contaminations from it. I use pinesol to clean carbs and tanks, works great and smells nice.