• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • Member No: 70148
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted November 07, 2015 - 03:34 PM

I saw information somewhere on GTT about how to install a new rear tire without tearing it up.

Finally got a brand new 23-10.5x12 tire and do not want to screw up mounting it.

Suggestions?

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,138 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted November 07, 2015 - 03:51 PM

Do you have tire spoons, or what are you using to get it over the rim?  Tire machine?

• Phluphy said thank you

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted November 07, 2015 - 03:55 PM

I take all mine to Firestone store I frequent. Mount for $3.50 each, not worth My time and hassle to do one.
  • MNGB and Phluphy have said thanks

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,672 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted November 07, 2015 - 03:57 PM

Need some big flat head screwdrivers or some tire spoons..... SOAPY WATER is your best friend when mounting a tire

• KennyP, propane1 and Phluphy have said thanks

#5 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted November 07, 2015 - 04:34 PM

Use a round shank screw driver if you have one. The square shanks tend to bend the edge of the rim a little more

• Phluphy said thank you

#6 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,781 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted November 07, 2015 - 04:45 PM

Leave the tire in the sun (if possible) to make it  more pliable.

OK, you are in Florida, so sunshine won't be a problem!

Edited by KC9KAS, November 07, 2015 - 04:46 PM.

• Phluphy said thank you

#7 Bud OFFLINE  

Bud

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 650
  • 341 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted November 07, 2015 - 06:07 PM

It might take too much for a tire, but this is a good tip from a mechanic friend. Personal lubricant, works great for connecting radiator hoses, fuel line, etc. Its water solvable, no petroleum or chemicals to hurt rubber or plastic parts. Have your wife pick some up and watch her reaction when you through it in your tool box.
  • Alc, KennyP, KC9KAS and 1 other said thanks

#8 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted November 07, 2015 - 06:47 PM

Do you have tire spoons, or what are you using to get it over the rim?  Tire machine?

Nope...just a mechanics bar, round shank screw divers and wonder bar.

#9 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted November 07, 2015 - 06:49 PM

Need some big flat head screwdrivers or some tire spoons..... SOAPY WATER is your best friend when mounting a tire

Have a tub of plumbers grease.  Thinking it'll be slippery enough and won't damage the rubber, not that soapy water would either, but this grease sticks like glue. 

#10 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted November 07, 2015 - 06:52 PM

As said above, SOAPY WATER helps a lot.

• Phluphy said thank you

#11 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,138 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted November 07, 2015 - 08:13 PM

All of the above.  Several years ago I picked up an old Coats manual tire machine.  It has saved me many, many 10 mile trips to town to get a tire fixed or mounted.  Paid $100 for it and it don't own me a thing.  Only problem I have had with it6 is the 12 wide tires.  The center post is about 3" to short for the bead breaker.

• Phluphy said thank you

#12 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted November 08, 2015 - 01:01 AM

The main ingredient in tire shine is ethelene glycol, same as ky. I use it on the guitar for fret wax / slide eaze replacement
  • KennyP and Phluphy have said thanks

#13 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted November 09, 2015 - 08:41 AM

Fuel pump yesterday...all good.

Mounting tire today.  Better half isn't thrilled with her bottle of dish detergent going out to the shop but all read and seen on the net tells me it's the preferred method.  Just have to figure out a way to anchor the wheel.  All I've seen in vids show physical man handling being used.  Not as limber as those fellas. Don't have transportation or I'd go to a tire shop and be done with it. 

#14 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted November 09, 2015 - 11:47 AM

Here is a couple of older threads that may be some help.

http://gardentractor...ire#entry545013

http://gardentractor...ire#entry585853

First what you need to do is break the bead then use a water mix of dish washing soap, I use a spray bottle, and apray it liberally around the tire bead. Then take one tire tool and pull the bead up over the rim. Hold it there and take another bit with the 2nd tire tool and pull some more up over the rim. At this point I will slip a small wooden block under the tire bead then continue to pull the bead over the rim.  2nd bead is done the same way.  Clean the rim up of soap and dirt, replace the vale stem.  Next take a little more consentrated mixure of soap and put it on the top rim lip and the under side of the top bead.  Push the bottom bead on to the rim, some times you can get it on just by putting your weight to it.  If not, use the tire tools and walk the bead on.  Then do the same on the top bead but you will for sure have to use the tire tools on it.  The big secret to mounting a tire is to keep the part of the  bead that is over the rim in the drop zone of the wheel, if you don't you will end up fighting the tire and a good chance tearing the tire up.  I also use wooden blocks and a metal rim locks to hold the tire down over the rim.  Good luck.

• Phluphy said thank you

#15 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted November 10, 2015 - 10:05 AM

Here is a couple of older threads that may be some help.

http://gardentractor...ire#entry545013

http://gardentractor...ire#entry585853

First what you need to do is break the bead then use a water mix of dish washing soap, I use a spray bottle, and apray it liberally around the tire bead. Then take one tire tool and pull the bead up over the rim. Hold it there and take another bit with the 2nd tire tool and pull some more up over the rim. At this point I will slip a small wooden block under the tire bead then continue to pull the bead over the rim.  2nd bead is done the same way.  Clean the rim up of soap and dirt, replace the vale stem.  Next take a little more consentrated mixure of soap and put it on the top rim lip and the under side of the top bead.  Push the bottom bead on to the rim, some times you can get it on just by putting your weight to it.  If not, use the tire tools and walk the bead on.  Then do the same on the top bead but you will for sure have to use the tire tools on it.  The big secret to mounting a tire is to keep the part of the  bead that is over the rim in the drop zone of the wheel, if you don't you will end up fighting the tire and a good chance tearing the tire up.  I also use wooden blocks and a metal rim locks to hold the tire down over the rim.  Good luck.

Used straight Dawn, thing went on with hardly any effort. Two screw-drivers, bit of knee pressure, vice grips and a ratchet strap. Few minutes and done. Albeit I failed to use prudent caution when releasing the strap. Big ouch!

Thanks 

• HDWildBill said thank you