• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 limebuzz ONLINE  

limebuzz

• Member No: 795
  • 863 Thanks
  • 879 posts

Posted November 07, 2015 - 01:51 PM

Hi folks, im needing some advise. I got a Dayton without an engine,so I installed a magnum 16 in it. I got it running and driving great. BUT I have no hydraulics 

. The cylinder moves real slow. With no pressure. I don't have a gauge to check the pressure,but I can hold the shaft from coming out of cylinder.I placed the Engine with the crankshaft end facing the rear. Then it hit me."maybe the pump is rotating the wrong way?". Is there a way to change the insides of the pump to work? Or does the engine have to be flipped around?

Thanks

Paul

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,544 posts

Posted November 07, 2015 - 02:03 PM

If it drives right, I would say that the engine is in the right way. Check the hydraulic fluid level, that the suction hose isn't crimpted, that the hydraulic filter isn't plugged. Without a gauge you can't tell if the pump or valve  is shot. Read up on hydraulic systems in one of the shop manuals even if it isn't for your tractor. Some pics would help. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, November 07, 2015 - 02:04 PM.

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,663 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted November 07, 2015 - 03:18 PM

Shaft to rear sounds right. That's way Briggs were. Hard to believe any problems with these rears. I've had them where valve had little movement and with quick lube on lever shaft and harder pushing, movement came back and worked. Also check for sloppy links there. Rpm up? Lift links binding? Filter and oil level? Get hydraulic filter, not just oil kind, flow may be diff. Pulleys on engine and drive correct size? Seems like Briggs ones about equal if I recall right.

#4 limebuzz ONLINE  

limebuzz

• 863 Thanks
  • 879 posts

Posted November 07, 2015 - 04:15 PM

I have changed oil and filter on it. It is right level. I have swapped out the valve and cylinder with a known good one. Still no difference. When the cylinder comes to the end of the cycle the pump does not whine like usual. The Masseys I have all have this pump and rear-end,and never a problem like this. This one is marked CW. And my Masseys are CCW. That's why I thought the engine is in wrong. 

#5 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted November 07, 2015 - 04:55 PM

So the tractor is hyd drive ??  I am missing something, if you have it all hooked up and driving correctly than the engine has to be turning the rite direction.  if the engine was running backwards than the tractor would drive backwards, correct ????  not sure about hyd drive thou.  if you pump says clockwise and you engine is running counter clockwise than that is your trouble but I cant see how it would be driving if the engine is spinning the wrong way.

And to answer your question, NO I don't think there is a way to change the direction of flow in a hyd pump.  they are made to run one direction only.  Good luck

Pete

• boyscout862 said thank you

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted November 07, 2015 - 06:44 PM

Some more info would help a lot. What tractor is this? That can help folks figure out what is needed to change the rotation. You put a Kohler Magnum 16 in it with the flywheel at which end?

#7 limebuzz ONLINE  

limebuzz

• 863 Thanks
  • 879 posts

Posted November 07, 2015 - 08:15 PM

Some more info would help a lot. What tractor is this? That can help folks figure out what is needed to change the rotation. You put a Kohler Magnum 16 in it with the flywheel at which end?

This is a Dayton(MTD 990). The flywheel is facing the front of tractor.

• KennyP and 1oldbuzz have said thanks

#8 1oldbuzz OFFLINE  

1oldbuzz
  • Member No: 61298
  • 261 Thanks
  • 250 posts

Posted November 08, 2015 - 03:35 AM

Engine is in correct flywheel faces front on a 990

not good with links  but someone posted how to adjust the spool valve on here

there is an adjustment on the spool valve on the bottom side(under tractor) where the hoses go in

you will see an acorn nut remove the nut you will see a slotted set screw loosen the lock nut and turn the set screw in (if  I remember)

to increase pressure

But my guess is its going to be a week pump

• limebuzz and KennyP have said thanks

#9 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted November 08, 2015 - 05:49 AM

Was the hydro unit worked on ?? That has the Eaton 11 in it if my memory serves me correctly? The charge pumps on these will only work if turning the proper direction, but the hydro inside will work either way. I believe it states proper rotation on it with either an arrow or "cw" or "ccw" . only a few of the Eaton peerless transmission combos turn this way, Bolens uses them this way and maybe bush hog? As well as the mtd 990 . Jacobsen,Gilson,Deere,cubcadet,let model Bolens, toro wheelhouse, all would use the ccw versions because they drove the hydro off the flywheel side. With the exception of wheelhouse, the drove it with a belt . your valve body may have a stuck or broke relief spring/check ball or damaged seat.

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted November 08, 2015 - 05:53 AM

This is a Dayton(MTD 990). The flywheel is facing the front of tractor.

If it is an Eaton, you can see what direction it is supposed to turn by this. These #'s are on the flat near the fwd/rev shaft.

Eaton ID Numbers.JPG

• pigsitter said thank you

#11 limebuzz ONLINE  

limebuzz

• 863 Thanks
  • 879 posts

Posted November 08, 2015 - 06:45 AM

Engine is in correct flywheel faces front on a 990

not good with links  but someone posted how to adjust the spool valve on here

there is an adjustment on the spool valve on the bottom side(under tractor) where the hoses go in

you will see an acorn nut remove the nut you will see a slotted set screw loosen the lock nut and turn the set screw in (if  I remember)

to increase pressure

But my guess is its going to be a week pump

I will have to pull it back out and check for a broken spring 

#12 limebuzz ONLINE  

limebuzz

• 863 Thanks
  • 879 posts

Posted November 08, 2015 - 06:46 AM

I have turned the screw in to increase the pressure, and no difference

#13 limebuzz ONLINE  

limebuzz

• 863 Thanks
  • 879 posts

Posted November 08, 2015 - 06:48 AM

Kenny, it is stamped CW on this pump. 

#14 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted November 08, 2015 - 07:28 AM

So if the pump is stamped clockwise I would assume it needs to be spinning that way when looking at the shaft ??  so what direction is you engine turning ?  really sounds like the engine is turning the wrong direction to me.  maybe get a different pump or change the motor ?  I don't know much about mtd 990's, I do know that you cant change the pump to work in the other direction. 

Pete

#15 limebuzz ONLINE  

limebuzz

• 863 Thanks
  • 879 posts

Posted November 08, 2015 - 07:41 AM

So I went out and fired it up again. The Engine is running the pump in the clockwise rotation so the pump is turning in the right direction. So maybe, the pump is worn out like 1oldbuzz suggested. 

So next question. Lol. Will a pump fromm a ccw work on a CW ? I have some ccw pumps that need new input shafts. Maybe just make one out of 2?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eaton