• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Chopperhed ONLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted November 06, 2015 - 09:32 PM

I've been working for the last few weeks to get some of the stuff out of the garage. The missus is going to have a car coming home before too long.

I made a deal with her dad to keep some of the toys out o his farm for a while.

I have the trailer all checked out, the boat has all the stuff loaded up, everything is good to go.

I go to start up the LGT100 to pull the boat out of the yard, and it won't go. No amount of cranking will work. Won't even start on carb cleaner.

Bad sign

From my tests, I discovered the old beast wasn't getting a spark, except on first crank and key off

I recut the ends of the coil wire and cleaned the plug. Visual inspection of the plug shows strong spark first shot, but weak spark after. The coil is getting hot to the touch and it's apparent that mods on the coil wire were making a difference.

First step, new plug

Second step

I'm sure I have some new spark plug cable around here some where.

Then, cleaning all the connections of every part in the system.

I'm sure I can figure it out, in a matter of an hour or two.

Problem is, we are scheduled to haul two quads and the boat out of here tomorrow. I use the 100 to move the boat. It wont go and the boat is stuck behind it  I won't be able to live with her if she has to use the Jeep to pull my tractor out of the way.

I am NOT happy.

• Gtractor, hamman, wvbuzzmaster and 2 others have said thanks

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted November 06, 2015 - 09:48 PM

Push tractor to side, use  your truck or jeep then, what's the big deal?  Would think that GT would be kinda light for most trailer full size pulling anyway. I don't see any real issue here. Who's wearing the pants at your place anyway! :cowboy_shooter:

• Chopperhed and HANKG have said thanks

#3 Chopperhed ONLINE  

Chopperhed
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted November 06, 2015 - 11:04 PM

glgrumpy, on 06 Nov 2015 - 7:48 PM, said:

Push tractor to side, use  your truck or jeep then, what's the big deal?  Would think that GT would be kinda light for most trailer full size pulling anyway. I don't see any real issue here. Who's wearing the pants at your place anyway! :cowboy_shooter:

Although it is a bit more involved than my previous post, that's exactly what we are going to do. I'm out of options. and we both wear pants. This is a partnership.

• KennyP and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,237 Thanks
  • 28,598 posts

Posted November 06, 2015 - 11:08 PM

Sounds like a oil or condenser. Do you have a few minutes to change?
  • boyscout862 and Chopperhed have said thanks

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,138 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted November 07, 2015 - 02:36 AM

I agree with GL. Tractor is to light for what your wanting it to do to start with.  Better to use the jeep to start with and safe yourself the grief and aggravation.  Work on the tractor when you don't have to keep the Mrs. satisfied.

• Chopperhed said thank you

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,237 Thanks
  • 28,598 posts

Posted November 07, 2015 - 07:05 AM

. Who's wearing the pants at your place anyway! :cowboy_shooter:

My wife does here. At least she does if I ever expect to get into them again... :bigrofl:
  • TheFarm2004, Chris11, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#7 Chopperhed ONLINE  

Chopperhed
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted November 07, 2015 - 11:19 AM

I agree with GL. Tractor is to light for what your wanting it to do to start with.  Better to use the jeep to start with and safe yourself the grief and aggravation.  Work on the tractor when you don't have to keep the Mrs. satisfied.

The tractor is more than heavy enough, the boat and trailer are only 1200 pounds. Problem is even the Jeep is going to be a tight fit to get to the boat. I have a little over 5-1/2 feet between the garage and the tree stump. The boat trailer barely fits.

• MH81 said thank you

#8 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted November 07, 2015 - 03:28 PM

I would suspect a bad ignition switch.
Did you try jumping 12v to the coil?

Joe

#9 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 07, 2015 - 03:34 PM

Change the points.... I had a set that looked good (like new) but I could not get a spark to the plug, but saw it at points and felt it get me a few times. Replaced points, problem solved.

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, November 07, 2015 - 03:34 PM.

#10 Chopperhed ONLINE  

Chopperhed
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted November 07, 2015 - 09:13 PM

I got the boat moved and out to the farm. I chained the front of the tractor to the Jeep, and the OL pulled it all out as I rode the tractor to guide the mess. It took minutes for the actual operation. but the setup took an hour or so. Now I have to move the quads, and sea-doo. Easy enough, load my quad in the van, hook hers on the trailer hitch and off we go. Sea-doo goes in the space that was taken up by the boat, and I have room to park the dozer outside.

Parking the boat at the farm was simple, I stuffed it out by the scrap pile where people are less likely to look for it.. I may have to make a deal with him on the scrap pile. There an old running 830 Case in there with a loader on it. Plus a couple of old chev trucks, and a newer Dodge. 

I'm not  sorry to say, there is nothing like the sound of 20 or so  horses running in a large pasture. Apparently I made them nervous. If I'd had more time I could have gone and hung with them for a while. The wife got to hang with them while I was putting the cover on, and making everything shipshape. oh well I'll be back out there next week.

• wvbuzzmaster, KennyP and Rock farmer have said thanks

#11 Dayton_King OFFLINE  

Dayton_King
  • Member No: 68926
  • 613 Thanks
  • 690 posts

Posted November 09, 2015 - 10:24 PM

Have you tested the coil. Isn't kohler coils like 7 ohms? I don't recall but easy to test

#12 Chopperhed ONLINE  

Chopperhed
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted November 10, 2015 - 04:35 PM

Dayton_King, on 09 Nov 2015 - 8:24 PM, said:Dayton_King, on 09 Nov 2015 - 8:24 PM, said:

Have you tested the coil. Isn't kohler coils like 7 ohms? I don't recall but easy to test

I haven't had a chance too look at it yet. It's getting cold around here now, and I won't get it in the shop for a few days

Edited by Chopperhed, November 10, 2015 - 04:36 PM.