6 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,511 posts

Posted November 06, 2015 - 01:28 PM

Has anyone adapted a Charlyn power steering unit to a GT?  It is an after market unit that mounts in the steering shaft between the steering wheel and the quadrant, or worm gear.  They were designed as an add on to put power steering on full size tractors that already had a hydraulic pump.  They are fairly compact, about  4" diameter and 8" long, give or take.  Not sure if they would fit out of sight or not.  Was thinking about this driving down the road a couple days ago.  I have one on my IH 400 which has worked flawlessly for several years.  I power it with a separate power steering pump off an old Chevy pickup.  Some of the foreign cars have real compact pumps that could be powered by belt off the engine on a GT.  The unit was very popular back in the 60's as the old Bahlen (SP) units were basically junk when they were new and were failing rapidly.  Many IH & JD tractors from the 50's had them as a factory option.

Edited by chieffan, November 06, 2015 - 01:29 PM.

#2 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,120 Thanks
  • 3,208 posts

Posted November 06, 2015 - 03:13 PM

Looked it up on ebay for a picture, pricey buggers. Neat idea thou.  Noel

• chieffan said thank you

#3 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,511 posts

Posted November 06, 2015 - 05:55 PM

Looked it up on ebay for a picture, pricey buggers. Neat idea thou.  Noel

Got to watch those eBay prices.  I found the best way to buy stuff off eBay is to ask questions.  Last spring a guy had parts for Bolens 3 speed listed.  I asked if he had an 6 speed parts.  Happen to have a unit he had not disassembled yet.  Ended up having the cluster and two other gears I need and got them all for $100 plus shipping.  Done a few other deal that way two.  I think I gave $125 for mine several years ago as a used but good unit.  If I find a good buy on one I my just try it.  Farm auctions are a good source for that kind of item also but kind of few and far in between.

Edited by chieffan, November 06, 2015 - 05:55 PM.

• propane1 said thank you

#4 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,667 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted November 06, 2015 - 07:34 PM

Charlynn's are real expensive, not sure what the deal on that is. Just the unit on shaft can be $400 or more that I have seen in the Farm catalogs. Steiners as example.  Not sure you can get rebuild kits either. AND, not sure how they work being so small?  Must be some sort of Planetary set-up like an auto trans principle?  Most later GT's have a box like control that the steering wheel shaft goes into with many hoses and then maybe another junction box before the cylinders and such.  So many hoses, yet these old rigs just had a couple. Why different?  Just buy a newer tractor with PS and be done with the Fantasy! :smilewink:

#5 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,511 posts

Posted November 08, 2015 - 07:47 AM

Charlynn's are real expensive, not sure what the deal on that is. Just the unit on shaft can be $400 or more that I have seen in the Farm catalogs. Steiners as example.  Not sure you can get rebuild kits either. AND, not sure how they work being so small?  Must be some sort of Planetary set-up like an auto trans principle?  Most later GT's have a box like control that the steering wheel shaft goes into with many hoses and then maybe another junction box before the cylinders and such.  So many hoses, yet these old rigs just had a couple. Why different?  Just buy a newer tractor with PS and be done with the Fantasy! :smilewink:

Your right GL they are a little price, mostly due to the demand from the guys restoring old tractors and want power steering.  I don't remember the exact way they worked now but they do work good.  Biggest problem I have had with mine is keeping the belt tight.  It drives from a special chive off the front of the crank shaft.  I have wide front an 9.50LX 15 front tires on mine so a lot more resistance to turning.  If I try to turn the steering wheel without the front wheels rolling some it will burn the belt.  I am the only on who drive that tractor and after I got on to it don't have that problem any more.

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted November 08, 2015 - 07:53 AM

I assume you're speaking of a "torque generator" system?  What I would be concerned with is the extreme torque being put through a GT steering box, which if used a lot could wear the box out in a hurry, or outright bust it up.  Standard drag links wouldn't hold up well either and would need heavier shafts.

• propane1 and chieffan have said thanks

#7 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,511 posts

Posted November 09, 2015 - 08:31 AM

They basically are a torque generator.  Like in a lot of things common sense goes a long ways.  Like putting a FEL on a  GT.  then loading the bucket with gravel and trying to turn the front wheels in soft ground.  I doubt a small power steering pump would put out enogh pressure to tear anything up.  the belt would slip first.  That is what happens on my tractor so back to common sense.